Project Frankenstein--AR Pistol Build

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
TK421

Re: Project Frankenstein--AR Pistol Build

Postby TK421 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:37 am

Mynock wrote:
TK421 wrote:She’s a gorgeous build! I’m working on my next one starting this week!

Nice! Put up some pics if you can.

TK421 wrote:You ever think after we’re through this ammo shortage of doing an 6.8 SPC? The thought crossed my mind of either that or doing .300 Blackout.

I thought about .300 Blackout but the deal was only on the 5.56 upper. Plus I need another caliber to stock like I need a hole in my head. Still packs a good punch even with the 7.5 inch. I can still turn a quarter inch steel plate into a colander. :twisted:

Well, looks like my newest SPR build is coming together nicely. .308 DPMS 20” Barrel in black/FDE. Images coming soon after my bolt carrier group makes it way here which brings me to a funny story that I will tell later about that. Let’s just say what arrived was NOT a bolt carrier group and was certainly not what I ordered :lol:

Once I get all the compliance stuff out of the way (pin stick and muzzle brake), I’ll post some pics.

In the meantime, here’s pics of my first build
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:09 pm

That nice! I can dig the bare metal look. Seen a few of those where somebody took a Dremel and some polish too them and got them to almost a mirror finish.

Sounds like your .308 is coming along good. DPMS is a great budget brand. My other AR is one of their Light 16 models. Couple thousand rounds through that one and the only trouble I ever had was a worn out extractor spring. I think the one I replaced it with was a BCM, been issue free ever since.

I picked up an ambi charging handle for Frankenstein over the weekend and I want to get a Magpul B.A.D. Lever for it too. Great options if your in the lefty brigade haha.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

TK421

Postby TK421 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:55 am

Mynock wrote:That nice! I can dig the bare metal look. Seen a few of those where somebody took a Dremel and some polish too them and got them to almost a mirror finish.

Sounds like your .308 is coming along good. DPMS is a great budget brand. My other AR is one of their Light 16 models. Couple thousand rounds through that one and the only trouble I ever had was a worn out extractor spring. I think the one I replaced it with was a BCM, been issue free ever since.

I picked up an ambi charging handle for Frankenstein over the weekend and I want to get a Magpul B.A.D. Lever for it too. Great options if your in the lefty brigade haha.

Nice! I’m thinking of a BAD myself but I think I will do a buffer swap instead. I’m either going to do Tubbs flatwire with my existing to see if there is any improvement or I will do a Armspec Stealth recoil system. We’ll see. I think it just might be the fact that a weekend shooting my buddy’s Tavor X95 might have spoiled me slightly :lol:
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:48 pm

I'm kind of neutral on the BAD for right handed shooting but that little lever is a godsend for lefty AR owners! When I'm reloading with my off (right) hand you push/pull the fresh mag and then just hit it with my thumb.
--Sun Tzu

TK421

Postby TK421 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:11 am

Mynock wrote:I'm kind of neutral on the BAD for right handed shooting but that little lever is a godsend for lefty AR owners! When I'm reloading with my off (right) hand you push/pull the fresh mag and then just hit it with my thumb.

I believe it. It’s amazing how much the little things matter when shooting. Recently upgraded from my Shield 9mm to my H&K P30SK and the paddle mag release is a godsend for me. I just don’t have the thumbs to break my grip and eject the mag.

Looks like the .308 build is going to take a little longer. My regular Gunsmith is backed out so far, he’s not going to be able to take her in to pin and weld the muzzle brake and while I can assemble her, I don’t have the headspace gauges for that caliber and they are out everywhere. This year is jacked up for shooters everywhere :roll:
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:00 pm

So you have to weld the flash hider.....? That's an interesting one.

PA laws are pretty friendly. All I have to worry about really is the federal stuff concerning things like Title 3 and barrel/overall length for rifles and shotguns. Frankenstein looks bad ass with a Beta mag lol.

Cleaning supplies and general stuff like bore sights and spare parts are still pretty obtainable here but ammo.....forget it. Guy were selling Lake City Greentips at the last show I went to for a DOLLAR a round. $1000 for a case. Freaking crazy.
--Sun Tzu

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:09 am

Mynock wrote:So you have to weld the flash hider.....? That's an interesting one.

PA laws are pretty friendly. All I have to worry about really is the federal stuff concerning things like Title 3 and barrel/overall length for rifles and shotguns. Frankenstein looks bad ass with a Beta mag lol.

Cleaning supplies and general stuff like bore sights and spare parts are still pretty obtainable here but ammo.....forget it. Guy were selling Lake City Greentips at the last show I went to for a DOLLAR a round. $1000 for a case. Freaking crazy.

Well weld the Muzzle Brake or Comp. Massachusetts no likey flash hiders or threaded barrels. It’s really quite arbitrary. We have the state pin system and background checks for both your LTC which requires a lengthy check in itself and for each gun purchase. It’s pretty solid. So if that’s the case, why all the restrictions if people are of sane capacity to own and carry? Oh well. The time will come at some point to leave this state and I’ll know what real freedom is, but in the meantime...rules...it’s what separates us from the animals.

Dude, around here, 1.00 pr on M855 is a steal. I still am not buying it but still...Gunbroker is upwards to 2.00 a round and locally most shops are about 1.00-1.18 per round. I been getting lucky at Bass Pro and Cabelas lately. It goes quick but if you know their delivery cycle and times, you can gauge when to come in. Mostly 9mm, 5.56 and .223 but I’ve also found .308, 7.62 and 300 blk. Targetsports is another but again, it goes quick and their pricing sometimes has much to be desired on certain calibers like .357 sig.

Frankenstein looks pretty sweet! Not sure what parts in PA you’re at but I have been seeing some of it lately for work. Next time I’m in the neighborhood, I’ll make some time for the range. Maybe by then, my build will be done and I can break out the tanerite :lol:
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Return to “Off Topic”