Project Frankenstein--AR Pistol Build

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Mynock

Project Frankenstein--AR Pistol Build

Postby Mynock » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:55 am

I've had lower receiver and parts for this sitting in my gun safe for several years. Ran across a vendor who gave me a deal on an upper receiver and a pistol brace at the gun show last weekend and decided to finally finish it off. The Villagers better bring more than pitch forks to come after this monster. 8-)

AR Serial Removed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Re: Project Frankenstein--AR Pistol Build

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:55 pm

Nice. What's it feel like being that short?
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:35 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:Nice. What's it feel like being that short?

It feels way lighter and more balanced than one with a standard length barrel. Still fairly accurate though. I was getting 2-3 inch groups at 50 yards after I dialed in the red dot. Downside is shorter barrel does affect bullet velocity and muzzle energy, and I get a lot of muzzle flash.
--Sun Tzu

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:27 am

Mynock wrote:I've had lower receiver and parts for this sitting in my gun safe for several years. Ran across a vendor who gave me a deal on an upper receiver and a pistol brace at the gun show last weekend and decided to finally finish it off. The Villagers better bring more than pitch forks to come after this monster. 8-)

AR Serial Removed.jpg

She’s a gorgeous build! I’m working on my next one starting this week!
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:29 am

Mynock wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:Nice. What's it feel like being that short?

It feels way lighter and more balanced than one with a standard length barrel. Still fairly accurate though. I was getting 2-3 inch groups at 50 yards after I dialed in the red dot. Downside is shorter barrel does affect bullet velocity and muzzle energy, and I get a lot of muzzle flash.

You ever think after we’re through this ammo shortage of doing an 6.8 SPC? The thought crossed my mind of either that or doing .300 Blackout.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:50 pm

TK421 wrote:She’s a gorgeous build! I’m working on my next one starting this week!

Nice! Put up some pics if you can.

TK421 wrote:You ever think after we’re through this ammo shortage of doing an 6.8 SPC? The thought crossed my mind of either that or doing .300 Blackout.

I thought about .300 Blackout but the deal was only on the 5.56 upper. Plus I need another caliber to stock like I need a hole in my head. Still packs a good punch even with the 7.5 inch. I can still turn a quarter inch steel plate into a colander. :twisted:
--Sun Tzu

TK421

Postby TK421 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:22 am

Mynock wrote:
TK421 wrote:She’s a gorgeous build! I’m working on my next one starting this week!

Nice! Put up some pics if you can.

TK421 wrote:You ever think after we’re through this ammo shortage of doing an 6.8 SPC? The thought crossed my mind of either that or doing .300 Blackout.

I thought about .300 Blackout but the deal was only on the 5.56 upper. Plus I need another caliber to stock like I need a hole in my head. Still packs a good punch even with the 7.5 inch. I can still turn a quarter inch steel plate into a colander. :twisted:

I certainly will post pics if possible. I already did my first build which was a 16’ barrel Spikes AR with a Vortex Spitfire II and x3 magnifier. Sadly, I can only run certain features due to living in Massachusetts so she is pretty basic. As time goes by and things settle down, I might go for the tax stamp and do a 6.8 or 300 blackout in an SBR. Or maybe say to hell with it and buy a preban AR pistol lower. Time will tell.

It is funny how parts are working these days. I’m currently working on a DPMS build and while I have no problems finding .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor ammo, I can’t find a complete upper to save my life right now. Conversely, 5.56 uppers is about as easy as finding a Dunks in New England but good luck on finding anything to feed it :lol:
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:28 am

Mynock wrote:Still packs a good punch even with the 7.5 inch. I can still turn a quarter inch steel plate into a colander. :twisted:

Oh, 5.56 is still a devastating round even through a 7.5 in barrel. I mean, you’re not going to be target shooting at 200 yards with her but that’s not the point :twisted: :lol: The US military is just now thinking of switching it up to 6.8 SPC after decades of use so I would certainly take 5.56 over nothing.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:39 am

Can you do the pistol brace thing in MA? Saved me a butt load of paperwork and time and honestly most of them shoot just like a stock. You just have to make sure the lower goes into the system as either ‘stripped’, which means it can be anything you want, or gets entered as a ‘pistol’ when you do the NICS background check. My lower was sold to me as ‘stripped’ so no tax stamp for me!
I have no clue about MA state law, that’s how it works in PA though.
--Sun Tzu

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:38 am

Mynock wrote:Can you do the pistol brace thing in MA? Saved me a butt load of paperwork and time and honestly most of them shoot just like a stock. You just have to make sure the lower goes into the system as either ‘stripped’, which means it can be anything you want, or gets entered as a ‘pistol’ when you do the NICS background check. My lower was sold to me as ‘stripped’ so no tax stamp for me!
I have no clue about MA state law, that’s how it works in PA though.

Massachusetts is weird with it’s gun laws. Deliberately ambiguous and our AGs interpretations often range from odd to twilight zone.

I could technically do a pistol but it would need to be a fixed 10rd mag and to be honest if I was to do a pistol, I’ll wait for a preban pistol lower to come my way. Rifles are ok to build however those have a whole set of rules of their own. Stock needs to be pinned and muzzle device needs to be pinned and welded and cannot be a flash hider. 10 round mags only or preban USGI mags if you can get them.

Yeah, I already know what you’re thinking. :lol: :lol:
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Return to “Off Topic”