RIP Prince Philip and DMX.

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
OBI-wan

RIP Prince Philip and DMX.

Postby OBI-wan » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:55 am

The Prince and the Rapper.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Duncan Edwards

Re: RIP Prince Philip and DMX.

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:47 pm

I know nothing of the rapper but I'm sure he's just as missed by those around him.

As for Prince Philip - He's one more gone of a generation that we likely will never see again. People make light of the British Monarchy but it represents the people instead of the day's government. In this nation we combine the head of government with the head of state in the Presidency and I'm not sure that's always the best solution. Whichever, the Prince was a person of substance who represents much more than the momentary celebrity of the pop culture we are accustomed to. I'm afraid his heirs may have become part of that. Let's hope not.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Villein

Postby Villein » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:37 pm

"And in news just to hand...? Prince Phillip, still dead at 99."

If you have any bad news you are obliged to release to the public?
Yesterday was the day to bury, I mean release, it.
PLEASE DELETE

Das

Postby Das » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:04 pm

OBI-wan wrote:The Prince and the Rapper.

Who woud have ever thought that these two would have something in common?
It just goes to show that we are all equal in the end.
Das

Tim Kelly

Postby Tim Kelly » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:45 pm

I was present at the Duke's visit to Westminster City Hall in 1997; he was greeted by the Lord Lieutenant of Westminster in his ceremonial uniform (looked like a Royal Marines Bandsman's; red trousers, blue jacket, white pith helmet, and cavalry boots with spurs), and the Duke noticed that one of his spurs had dropped off, and said,
"Good God man, you're only wearing one bloody spur! The bloody horse is going to go round in bloody circles!"
"Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh! Quicksand! I'm sinking! I'll go straight to the bottom of.......GLURP!"
(a month later)
"Ugh! Yukkkh! Ptui! I'm out of it! I'm free! Not even quicksand can defeat the power of.....the Eye of Zoltec!"

Tim Kelly

Postby Tim Kelly » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:48 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:I know nothing of the rapper but I'm sure he's just as missed by those around him.

As for Prince Philip - He's one more gone of a generation that we likely will never see again. People make light of the British Monarchy but it represents the people instead of the day's government. In this nation we combine the head of government with the head of state in the Presidency and I'm not sure that's always the best solution. Whichever, the Prince was a person of substance who represents much more than the momentary celebrity of the pop culture we are accustomed to. I'm afraid his heirs may have become part of that. Let's hope not.

Diana used to call him "Stavros" (after Harry Enfield's character in "Saturday Night Live", a Greek Kebab shop owner, a shout-out to Battenberg's allegedly Greek (actually Danish) Ancestry)
"Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh! Quicksand! I'm sinking! I'll go straight to the bottom of.......GLURP!"
(a month later)
"Ugh! Yukkkh! Ptui! I'm out of it! I'm free! Not even quicksand can defeat the power of.....the Eye of Zoltec!"

Return to “Off Topic”