9/11.

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
OBI-wan

9/11.

Postby OBI-wan » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:21 pm

Never forget.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Mynock

Re: 9/11.

Postby Mynock » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:14 pm

Indeed.
One of my little cousins asked me today if the people really jumped out of the building like her friends at school told her.
I don't believe in lying to kids so I said I was sorry to say so but yes, they did.
Then she asked me if the firemen caught them in a blanket. I said no honey, so sorry to tell you but they didn't.
Then she asked if there was no one to catch them why did they jump. And God help me, I had to explain to a 5 year old girl that swan diving into a sidewalk from 100 floors up was quicker and less painful than burning alive.
I need a drink.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:52 pm

My daughter is 21 and for somebody with a relatively brief attention span she watched coverage of 20 years ago for a couple of hours today. She started asking questions and it really hit me that this was history to her and still seems like yesterday to me. She has never experienced how the world was before it changed after that day.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:39 am

Right after the second tower was hit I drove over to my regular workplace, which was 50 feet beneath the LA City Hall complex. The 911 call centers and the EOC were both down there at the time and a couple Fire Department brass got on the same elevator I was on. They had apparently been discussing where the fourth airliner might be headed and one of them said "I guess we'll know in about three hours".

I must have stood up a little straighter when he said that because they stopped their conversation for the rest of the ride down. I was surprised at how vulnerable I felt.

The news of the plane going down in Pennsylvania broke soon after that. But I'll never forget that feeling.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:34 pm

Never Forget!

MadMax359

Postby MadMax359 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:10 pm

Mynock wrote:Indeed.
One of my little cousins asked me today if the people really jumped out of the building like her friends at school told her.
I don't believe in lying to kids so I said I was sorry to say so but yes, they did.
Then she asked me if the firemen caught them in a blanket. I said no honey, so sorry to tell you but they didn't.
Then she asked if there was no one to catch them why did they jump. And God help me, I had to explain to a 5 year old girl that swan diving into a sidewalk from 100 floors up was quicker and less painful than burning alive.
I need a drink.

for me, the photos of people jumping hit me the hardest, trying to imagine that choice
especially the ones where a couple of friends joined hands and jumped together
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

Return to “Off Topic”