Anne Rice.

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
OBI-wan

Anne Rice.

Postby OBI-wan » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:31 pm

RIP.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

MadMax359

Re: Anne Rice.

Postby MadMax359 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:18 pm

and don't forget her erotic fiction using pseudonyms A. N. Roquelaure and Anne Rampling
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

Tim Kelly

Postby Tim Kelly » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:49 pm

I assume someone did the wooden stake bit, just to make sure....
"Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh! Quicksand! I'm sinking! I'll go straight to the bottom of.......GLURP!"
(a month later)
"Ugh! Yukkkh! Ptui! I'm out of it! I'm free! Not even quicksand can defeat the power of.....the Eye of Zoltec!"

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:58 pm

RIP......Interview with a Vampire is one of my favs of the genre. :(
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

DangerGirl

Postby DangerGirl » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:48 pm

Her will leaves everything to a previously unheard-of writer named Fran Tice.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:07 pm

She will be missed.

I read "Interview With The Vampire" years ago. Very impressive. I just loved it. It was almost enough for me to believe they could be real.

"Exit To Eden"...I picked that up years ago, just trying out erotic fiction to see if I'd be affected by it, because that vampire story was so great.

I greatly appreciated the dominant in BDSM not always being the male. But it failed to change me. Through no fault of hers, though. I am what I am, whatever that is.

Nessie

EVysther

Postby EVysther » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:38 pm

Rice's Vampire Chronicles had such an impact on Goth culture, it's stunning....

I remember skimming a paperback of "Interview..." somewhere in the late '70s - remember, I'm still in single digits (age-wise) at that point - but some of the bits I read stuck in my imagination long after I lost the book...flash-forward to 1986, and I pick up "Vampire Lestat" in paperback at a local 7-11 and devour it inside of a week...her descriptive powers and literary atmospherics were truly impressive, especially at that point in time...don't forget, there were a ton of vampire flicks running around at that point....Fright Night, Vamp to name just a couple...."Queen of the Damned" was far too drawn out for my tastes, to be perfectly honest, and other writers caught my interest by that point, but that's neither here not there.

Her impact on music - Type O Negative anyone? - movies and the popular culture is undeniable. A remarkable achievement in a genre stuffed to the gills with talent.

I thought the 1994 film with Pitt and Cruise was actually pretty well done, if a somewhat commercialized telling of "Interview"...and, I, for one, will give credit where it's due: Cruise is decent as Lestat - not perfect by any stretch, but fair play, he did alright overall.

FYI I never caught up with any of her erotic fiction - just didn't have the time or inclination to explore it...
Eric Vysther

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery -
today is a gift...that's why it's called the present!
"

Return to “Off Topic”