Some things last and some don't

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Fred588
Producer

Some things last and some don't

Postby Fred588 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:34 pm

Since moving back to my rebuilt house last March I have been gradually going through things that were in the workshop building and thus not burned up. This afternoon I found a Dremel type rotary tool I bought at Montgomery Ward for about $15.00 back in 1977, I tried turning its shaft to see of it was frozen. Nope, it turned smoothly. OK, let's plug it is. It runs perfectly. It survived six moves and 45 years without being used. And I actually have a use for it after all these years. Very surprising, especially considering most things made in the 1970s were rubbish to begin with.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

jadokast98

Re: Some things last and some don't

Postby jadokast98 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:03 am

It probably was designed as a simplified tool... By Dremel themselves. Now you would be able to get a comparable priced tool built by a company that doesn't have any higher quality standards. I have a Craftsman rotary tool kit with the box and that's what I found.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:05 pm

Almost all of my wrenches and socket sets are vintage Sears Roebuck that date from late 40's -- early 50's. Inherited them from my Pappy when he passed away in '01. The hand wrenches not surprisingly are pretty much indestructible but what amazes me is that both the 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets continue to function after 70 years of hard use. They don't make 'em like that anymore.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:27 pm

Mynock wrote:Almost all of my wrenches and socket sets are vintage Sears Roebuck that date from late 40's -- early 50's. Inherited them from my Pappy when he passed away in '01. The hand wrenches not surprisingly are pretty much indestructible but what amazes me is that both the 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets continue to function after 70 years of hard use. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

You hit one of my favorite examples right there. Craftsman is sold at Lowes now and it's kind of okay for somebody who doesn't use it for a living but it's a far cry from my grandfather's tools I still have. I'm kind of a tool nerd and America appears to have hit it's peak in the 60's. If somehow you did manage to break a wrench, which could be done with a cheater bar or something, you took it back to Sears and they'd replace it right over the counter. It's not a good sign when you can buy a 297 piece socket set for under $100.00 :)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “Off Topic”