Civility? What's that?

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
EVysther

Civility? What's that?

Postby EVysther » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:04 pm

I rarely gripe about anything on here, but last night really cinched it for my wife and I....

I'm not going to go into a long tirade about people's lack of manners, couth, or decency anymore - read the headlines, you'll get the idea - but this bears mentioning...

Imagine going out to a Chinese buffet and the table in the aisle next to you calls the police on the owners as they had to wait too long for crab legs....I shit thee not...police did get involved, and this woman ripped a scene in front of the entire restaurant all the while.

The cops handled it with dignity and aplomb - and the woman bitched until they threw her out on her ass - but when I exchanged glances with one of the officers, he just rolled his eyes and shook his head.

People suck. Enough said.
Last edited by EVysther on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eric Vysther

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery -
today is a gift...that's why it's called the present!
"

Mynock

Re: Civility? What's that?

Postby Mynock » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:39 pm

I'm with you man. It seems like you can't go anywhere anymore without having to deal with someone being an asshole.'

I had an expensive trip to a nice steakhouse ruined a few months ago by a screeching crying absolute bastard of a 3 year old and his no fucks given parents. Assholes had the nerve to frown at me when I loudly asked the waiter if I could buy the kid a shot of Nyquil.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:55 pm

Make America great again, shoot a Karen.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

EVysther

Postby EVysther » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:35 am

OBI-wan wrote:Make America great again, shoot a Karen.

:lol:
Eric Vysther

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery -
today is a gift...that's why it's called the present!
"

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:15 pm

OBI-wan wrote:Make America great again, shoot a Karen.

That's a big part of the problem right there. :(
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:19 pm

A long-distant and partially forgotten short story has just popped into my head. I read it when I was a child.

I believed this tale to be extinct, but it isn't. What the passage of time buried, the Internet dug up.

It seems ridiculous that I have to say "Don't do this for real! It's just a story!" but in today's age...

But it is satisfying to read.

https://typicaljenn.com/2017/10/07/for-all-the-rude-people-by-jack-ritchie/

Nessie

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:20 pm

Interesting story - I could sense a touch of “Death Wish” and maybe even a little of the assassin Anton Chigurh from “No Country for Old Men” (the dialogue, minus the coin flip). Clearly, this story is satire, but some people’s behavior might tempt one. I sometimes call the behavior described in this thread “entitled behavior.” You see it almost every day.

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:35 pm

Has anyone ever seen the movie “God Bless America”?
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:55 pm

PA Jack wrote:Interesting story - I could sense a touch of “Death Wish” and maybe even a little of the assassin Anton Chigurh from “No Country for Old Men” (the dialogue, minus the coin flip).....

Yea, you're right. The Death Wish angle was obvious. But Anton Chigurh is there also.

The thing that struck me though, was how the author nailed the lingering trauma from people being mean. It's both sad and ironic that the victims in these encounters are the ones that carry the load.

For myself, I have noticed that I don't let anyone take free shots at me anymore. I don't care if you're an old lady in Publix on a Sunday afternoon. If you get in my face, you're going to get something back.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

TK421

Postby TK421 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:34 pm

dlodoski wrote:

For myself, I have noticed that I don't let anyone take free shots at me anymore. I don't care if you're an old lady in Publix on a Sunday afternoon. If you get in my face, you're going to get something back.

There is an old adage I use:

“What we permit is how people will treat you.”

I’m a big fan of being graceful under fire however there is a thin line between showing grace and being a doormat. I prefer to be the former, never the latter. If you hurl stones, don’t be surprised when I lob them right back at you.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

Return to “Off Topic”