Queen Elizabeth II

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
OBI-wan

Queen Elizabeth II

Postby OBI-wan » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:38 pm

The queen is dead. Long live the queen.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Mike Nomic

Re: Queen Elizabeth II

Postby Mike Nomic » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:14 pm

OBI-wan wrote:The queen is dead. Long live the queen.

The Queen is dead. Long live the King.

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:05 pm

With all of the notable celebrities that have recently died, it puts this one in perspective. Here is a great lady who has been queen since 3 years before I was born. The old British Empire is no more, but Elizabeth reigned with a quiet dignity in great contrast to our domestic political leaders today. It really is the passing of an era in the UK. I’ll have to admit that I shed a tear when I heard the news on TV. God rest her soul.
Formerly jack c, years ago.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:05 pm

A class act and on her feet practically to the day she died. She loved dogs,horses and her country. Married for 74 years to a real man. Four children, eight grand-children, twelve great-grandchildren. For any human it's a life well lived but you're seeing the very last of the greatest generation. I doubt seriously we'll ever see another royal like her.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:10 pm

Duncan - we must have hit “submit” within seconds of one another - I agree with everything you wrote.
Formerly jack c, years ago.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:11 am

I thought it was "Long lived the Queen". She did indeed.

Putting my confusion to rest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_king_ ... e_the_king!

I have never seen a coronation for a royal British king or queen before. I remember the coronation Shah of Iran so very long ago (he placed the crown on his head himself(?). I only recall that last one because it was in a copy of National Geographic I had.

She was an amazing woman. Charles had to wait so long for the throne. I wonder how that will go?

REST IN PEACE, M'lady.

"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:12 am

BogDog wrote:I thought it was "Long lived the Queen". She did indeed.

Putting my confusion to rest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_king_ ... e_the_king!

I have never seen a coronation for a royal British king or queen before, and I am in my 60's. I remember the coronation for the Shah of Iran so very long ago in the pre-hostage days (he placed the crown on his head himself(?). I only recall that last one because it was in a copy of National Geographic I had.

She was an amazing woman. Charles had to wait so long for the throne. I wonder how that will go?

REST IN PEACE, M'lady. You were a class act in a world that sadly sometimes totally lacks class.

P.S....THIS is the kind of person we knew her for: https://youtu.be/1AS-dCdYZbo

:|
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

JohannGomezSink

Postby JohannGomezSink » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:11 am

Remember, don't cry when it's over, smile because it happened.
I may check out, if only.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:23 pm

BogDog wrote:I thought it was "Long lived the Queen". She did indeed.

To add confusion to confusion, I'm learning piano these days. And that song they taught us all here in the USA when we were little, little kids?

"My Country 'Tis Of Thee" has, in my world, just turned out to be same melody as "God Save The Queen".

I'm going to miss the Queen. I never quite understood her role but whatever it was, she was very, very good at it. She was calming, stabilizing and had an awesome wardrobe and jewelry collection. She was comforting to listen to and she never seemed to let all those riches go to her head. She did her best to be worth it. And those corgies! I too love dogs.

I'd play the song in her honor but I need a lot more practice.

Nessie
Last edited by Nessie on Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theo

Postby Theo » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:55 pm

I was so shocked when I heard the news. I know she’d been slowing down, and delegating some of her duties lately, but I fully expected she would live to 100 like her Mum, and even two days before she looked okay; no different when she met with the incoming Prime Minister, than she did during the Jubilee only three months ago.

It goes without saying, she had an extraordinary; unprecedented reign, marked by grace and selfless dedication to her country, and punctuated a wit and humor that endeared her to many both in, and far beyond her country, and I believe it’s safe to say she was the most influential Woman in our lifetimes, and quite possibly all of history.

Among other things, I loved the little snippets she did recently with James Bond and Paddington Bear, and I appreciated the moment of solidarity when she allowed The Star-Spangled Banner to be played at the Changing of the Guard after 9/11.

Long lived the Queen indeed — and now, long live the King!
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Return to “Off Topic”