An interesting thought for producers.

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
PM2K
Always Remembered

Re: An interesting thought for producers.

Postby PM2K » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:16 am

I always view ice as nature's way of saying "the season is over..." But. maybe I'm just not determined enough... ;)

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:30 am

PM2K wrote:I always view ice as nature's way of saying "the season is over..." But. maybe I'm just not determined enough... ;)

Late-fall pre-winter sinking is one of those things that...given what guys like to see, like miniskirts and bikinis and leather catsuits and tank tops and tight jeans and short shorts and stuff...it really isn't...

CUTE.

Naw. It goes beyond that. Cold-weather sinking looks worse than only not-cute. It looks nutty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpqPSaAb63o

This video is old by now. I can't remember just when it was shot any more but see those cattails behind me? They're brown. They've rolled over dead for the year.

I've got on a couple layers under those waders and sweats under that water-repellant top and this looks insane.

If it didn't feel good, I wouldn't do it. And with the right sinkwear, this feels very, very good.

But if I ever screw it up, it's going to feel very, very cold!

Nessie

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:35 am

Last edited by bart1997 on Sat May 09, 2015 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:26 pm

I'm impressed with your determination and willpower! Also, the waders are pretty neat too... :D

I can't recall, Nessie, but did you get a wetsuit at one point for this? I'd worry about that gear weighing me down.

I know when I first went sinking this year, it was cooler, so I went with long jeans and a couple of shirts to help keep out the cold of the water at the bottom of my mudpit - it remains cold even during the hottest days, although the mud itself warms up nicely - and I found part of the reason I had trouble extracting myself was the heavy clothing holding me back.

Shorts are the best gear for that reason, I think, but only for the summer... ;)

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:10 am

PM2K wrote:I'm impressed with your determination and willpower! Also, the waders are pretty neat too... :D

I can't recall, Nessie, but did you get a wetsuit at one point for this? I'd worry about that gear weighing me down.

I have a couple wetsuits now but they are too heavy and too tight. Some people like tight clothing but I never have. My complaint is that it's too hard to feel any mud through wetsuits and getting them on...then peeling them off...is such a PAIN!

The gear I wear isn't at all heavy. The waders are very thin and underneath I wear whatever I need to (a layer or two of sweats, usually, and in warmer weather, just a very thin cotton pair of stretch pants) to stay warm. As long as no water gets inside and the layers never get wet, it's perfectly light to wear and it's easy to walk around in it, plus, you can feel the mud through this much better than you can through a wetsuit.

I may dig out the wetsuits soon anyway. I might want to do clips at my new location and it's about wetsuit temperature out there. Guys seem to like the look of the wetsuits, because they're form-fitting and get shiny when they get wet.

That is why I would shoot clips with them.

I know when I first went sinking this year, it was cooler, so I went with long jeans and a couple of shirts to help keep out the cold of the water at the bottom of my mudpit - it remains cold even during the hottest days, although the mud itself warms up nicely - and I found part of the reason I had trouble extracting myself was the heavy clothing holding me back.

That makes sense. I've noticed that clothing picks up a LOT of weight at...Fred's pits, when I've done scenes in gowns!

Nessie

jack c

Postby jack c » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:58 am

Nessie - I have followed this thread, but please let me interject that your new avatar is fantastic!

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:36 am

Glad you like the avatar, Jack.

The tan desert-looking claypit is now three years in the past. Although the memory of it remains one of the shining gems of my muddings, and that mud partner is the finest of mud men, I can't stay in that claypit forever; I figured that maybe it was finally time to use a picture that was a little more recent.

The new avatar is gonna be a downloadable clip soon too.

Nessie

Robert
Producer

Postby Robert » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:03 am

bumberjack wrote:This makes me wonder the effectiveness of a help signal.

Even in those conditions, a frightened model will panic and may altogether forget out a help signal.

<<snip

I hope at least one of the crew members at any given shoot knows CPR.

You have a good point. That is why every set and company I have worked with or on has a 5-10 second limit before the crew or safety person goes in and pulls them up regardless if they want to come up or not. And in case anyone is wondering, we currently have an ex Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer on our set and I have certified in CPR since 1985.

Robert

Return to “Off Topic”