Obit Threads

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Mynock

Obit Threads

Postby Mynock » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:37 pm

BogDog wrote:This is turning into a really depressing forum room. :(

Agreed.....14 out of the last 25 threads seems a bit much to me too.

Idea: What if we had a single pinned thread for dead celebs?
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Fred588
Producer

Re: Obit Threads

Postby Fred588 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:50 pm

I have no say in the matter but I think overspecialization (too many dedicated threads) is not really a good idea. It would be effectively the same, in terms of helping people decide to read or not read a lost, if Obit posts were just labelled with "Obit" or "RIP" in the title. Or things left as they are.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:32 am

I'm opposed to a mega-obit-thread. All I'll know when I log is is that the thread has been updated. I'll actually have to read it to see if someone new I might care about has passed, or if some forum member is acknowledging a previous loss. I like, if that's the right term, getting the salient news from a thread's title. While it's a shame that obits are a high percentage of traffic just now, I think that has less to do with celebrity death rates than overall forum activity. Confining posts about the one likely won't change anything about the other.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

MadMax359

Postby MadMax359 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:35 pm

i'm at the age where i can regularly expect someone i grew up watching, listening to or reading to pass away; it seems a small enough thing to give them a mention
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:36 am

Could always add one more dedicated "departed" room to the public area of the forum instead of us using the OFF TOPIC room. Otherwise I'm fine with them where they are. These people we are losing are from my era, and apparently that of many others too.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:54 pm

Let it be.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:55 pm

I have to admit that I readily agreed with the OP - and planned on creating a dedicated thread. But now I'm glad I didn't do that right away.

Chimerix wrote:I'm opposed to a mega-obit-thread. All I'll know when I log is is that the thread has been updated. I'll actually have to read it to see if someone new I might care about has passed, or if some forum member is acknowledging a previous loss. I like, if that's the right term, getting the salient news from a thread's title. While it's a shame that obits are a high percentage of traffic just now, I think that has less to do with celebrity death rates than overall forum activity. Confining posts about the one likely won't change anything about the other.

It really does come down to traffic. And while I don't want this area of the board to become a Twitter Feed, we could all consider posting stuff here that we feel compelled to share elsewhere. A little humor can go a long ways.

The other approach would be to consider a sub-forum just for Obit topics. But somehow that just seems kind of icky. So I'll leave things be and see if traffic balances out better. QSF is not the truly happening QS hangout anymore. But it can still be useful and fun for a while.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:05 pm

It was just a thought. 8-) If the majority likes things the way they are then let it be.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:33 pm

I'm for leaving it alone.

I can't count the times I've heard about it here first. Apparently I miss it elsewhere, even if I've been reading news.

Nessie

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:16 pm

Nessie wrote:I'm for leaving it alone.

I can't count the times I've heard about it here first. Apparently I miss it elsewhere, even if I've been reading news.

Nessie

I'll second that. I also take a little demographic information from these postings. Let's just say it appears that most of us hear are over 30 and it's nice we can have our own playground. If you venture into the realm of social media very much it's filled with those who don't even know who many of these people were.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “Off Topic”