To those no longer with us....

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
OBI-wan

Re: To those no longer with us....

Postby OBI-wan » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:59 am

Sandy Farina,68, played Strawberry Fields in the movie Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:29 am

Henry Kissinger, American diplomat and Nobel winner, dead at 100

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -Henry Kissinger, a diplomatic powerhouse whose roles as a national security adviser and secretary of state under two presidents left an indelible mark on U.S. foreign policy and earned him a controversial Nobel Peace Prize, died on Wednesday at age 100.

During the 1970s in the midst of the Cold War, he had a hand in many of the epoch-changing global events of the decade while serving as national security adviser and secretary of state under Republican President Richard Nixon. The German-born Jewish refugee's efforts led to the U.S. diplomatic opening with China, landmark U.S.-Soviet arms control talks, expanded ties between Israel and its Arab neighbors, and the Paris Peace Accords with North Vietnam.

Kissinger's reign as the prime architect of U.S. foreign policy waned with Nixon's resignation in 1974 amid the Watergate scandal. Still, he continued to be a diplomatic force as secretary of state under Nixon's successor, President Gerald Ford, and to offer strong opinions throughout the rest of his life.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:42 pm

I know some folks didn’t like him during the Vietnam War, but I can hardly think of a more influential person who wasn’t President. He was from pretty humble beginnings, father was a schoolteacher, family fled Nazi Germany while the getting out was possible. He was not right about absolutely everything, but he was right way more than he was wrong. A great man.
Formerly jack c, years ago.

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:10 am

Television pioneer Norman Lear, 101.
Denny Laine, Moody Blues and Wings, 79.

MadMax359

Postby MadMax359 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:48 pm

Norman Lear, what a giant of television for decades
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:27 am

Ryan O’Neal, Star of ‘Love Story,’ ‘What’s Up, Doc?’ and ‘Paper Moon,’ Dies at 82

Ryan O’Neal, the boyish leading man who kicked off an extraordinary 1970s run in Hollywood with his Oscar-nominated turn as the Harvard preppie Oliver in the legendary romantic tearjerker Love Story, has died. He was 82.

O’Neal died Friday, his son Patrick O’Neal, a sportscaster with Bally Sports West in Los Angeles, reported on Instagram. He had been diagnosed with chronic leukemia in 2001 and with prostate cancer in 2012.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:55 pm

I want to give a shout-out here for actor Andre Braugher, who just died at the young age of 61. I never watched his Homicide series, but he was as good a straight man as Bud Abbott on Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Still, I will always remember him from when I first saw the movie Glory. Denzel Washington won the Oscar for his role, but Baugher was equally good as a fellow, thoughtful, trooper. RIP.
Formerly jack c, years ago.

MadMax359

Postby MadMax359 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:41 pm

"Homicide" is worth looking up, he was great but the whole cast was solid and the stories interesting

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:54 am

George McGinnis 73, Indiana Pacers

MadMax359

Postby MadMax359 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:00 pm

Tommy Smothers is gone

those guys always made me laugh
and i admired them more when they became a platform for those challenging the Vietnam war

Tommy is on the left (no pun intended)

smothers_brothers_port_08001-681x1024.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Off Topic”