To those no longer with us....

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
BogDog

To those no longer with us....

Postby BogDog » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:14 am

It was suggested that these kind of posts be concentrated in one topic thread. Can do, will do. Please use this thread for such things.

I HAD to post this one, God bless her. Rest in peace, and thank you.

Barbara Walters, trailblazing TV icon, dies at 93

Barbara Walters, the trailblazing television news broadcaster and longtime ABC News anchor and correspondent who shattered the glass ceiling and became a dominant force in an industry once dominated by men, has died. She was 93.

Walters joined ABC News in 1976, becoming the first female anchor on an evening news program. Three years later, she became a co-host of "20/20," and in 1997, she launched "The View."

In a career that spanned five decades, Walters won 12 Emmy awards, 11 of those while at ABC News.

She made her final appearance as a co-host of "The View" in 2014, but remained an executive producer of the show and continued to do some interviews and specials for ABC News.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

MadMax359

Re: To those no longer with us....

Postby MadMax359 » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:20 pm

i thought many people still like to do a separate thread to honor each person?

in either case, she was a true pioneer!
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:04 pm

I’ll bet she’s looking for Gilda Radner.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:41 am

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:29 pm

"If you can't say something nice, come sit over here next to me." - Alice Roosevelt

Never was a big fan of Barbara "I wish the National Enquirer had a network" Walters. That taste was acquired from watching her interview specials years ago. Three big distasteful disasters that I can recall - One was political so I'll leave it alone but it was God-Awful uninformed. The other was with Donny and Marie Osmond as she assailed their faith. The best was her irritation at being unable to get Dolly Parton to say anything mean, perverted, or stupid.

Sean Connery will be there as soon as St. Peter opens the gate for her. He'll hand her his golf bag and give her a pat on the ass.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:33 pm

Jeff Beck, guitar god who influenced generations, dies at 78

Jeff Beck, a guitar virtuoso who pushed the boundaries of blues, jazz and rock ‘n’ roll, influencing generations of shredders along the way and becoming known as the guitar player’s guitar player, has died. He was 78.

Beck died Tuesday after “suddenly contracting bacterial meningitis,” his representatives said in a statement released Wednesday. The location was not immediately known.

Beck first came to prominence as a member of the Yardbirds and then went out on his own in a solo career that incorporated hard rock, jazz, funky blues and even opera. He was known for his improvising, love of harmonics and the whammy bar on his preferred guitar, the Fender Stratocaster.

“Jeff Beck is the best guitar player on the planet," Joe Perry, the lead guitarist of Aerosmith, told The New York Times in 2010. "He is head, hands and feet above all the rest of us, with the kind of talent that appears only once every generation or two.”

Beck was among the rock-guitarist pantheon from the late ’60s that included Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix. Beck won eight Grammy Awards and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice — once with the Yardbirds in 1992 and again as a solo artist in 2009. He was ranked fifth in Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the “100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.”

LIVE AT RONNIE SCOTTS video link: https://youtu.be/AoQHnzHrqgE?t=331

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:35 pm

BogDog wrote:Jeff Beck, guitar god who influenced generations, dies at 78

Jeff Beck, a guitar virtuoso who pushed the boundaries of blues, jazz and rock ‘n’ roll, influencing generations of shredders along the way and becoming known as the guitar player’s guitar player, has died. He was 78.

Beck died Tuesday after “suddenly contracting bacterial meningitis,” his representatives said in a statement released Wednesday. The location was not immediately known.

Beck first came to prominence as a member of the Yardbirds and then went out on his own in a solo career that incorporated hard rock, jazz, funky blues and even opera. He was known for his improvising, love of harmonics and the whammy bar on his preferred guitar, the Fender Stratocaster.

“Jeff Beck is the best guitar player on the planet," Joe Perry, the lead guitarist of Aerosmith, told The New York Times in 2010. "He is head, hands and feet above all the rest of us, with the kind of talent that appears only once every generation or two.”

Beck was among the rock-guitarist pantheon from the late ’60s that included Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix. Beck won eight Grammy Awards and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice — once with the Yardbirds in 1992 and again as a solo artist in 2009. He was ranked fifth in Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the “100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time.”

LIVE AT RONNIE SCOTTS video link: https://youtu.be/AoQHnzHrqgE?t=331
. Wasn’t Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap supposed to be a spoof of Jeff Beck?

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:13 pm

Lisa Marie Presley RIP.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:11 pm

OBI-wan wrote:Lisa Marie Presley RIP.

Rest in Peace. We are losing them all quickly. Also,

Robbie Knievel, daredevil son of Evel Knievel, dies at 60

May they all find peace.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:33 pm

BogDog wrote:
OBI-wan wrote:Lisa Marie Presley RIP.

Rest in Peace. We are losing them all quickly. Also,

Robbie Knievel, daredevil son of Evel Knievel, dies at 60

May they all find peace.

We were all little Evel Knievels back in that day. I tried very hard to severely injure myself jumping trash cans. Almost succeeded. I did see Robbie at the fairground speedway with his show and I have to admit he was actually a lot more professional about things than his dad. Broke a lot fewer bones as a result. I turn 60 in a few days and that suddenly strikes me as way too young to be dead.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “Off Topic”