Project Green Goblin--AR-15 Build

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Zorah Valtero

Re: Project Green Goblin--AR-15 Build

Postby Zorah Valtero » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:56 pm

Mynock wrote:^^Nice! Can't go wrong with S&W. 8-)

Picked up something different over the weekend. AR Five Seven Upper. 5.7x28mm, top loads a fifty round FN-P90 mag, blowback operated. Fits on a standard lower receiver and ejects the spent shells out the magwell. It test fitted nicely to one of my existing lowers but It needs a specific weighted buffer to work right, so will probably end up getting it's own dedicated lower in the long run.

7112035D-8D79-4C65-9C4E-8BE61461556C.jpeg

Nice, always wanted one of those uppers. Might be a cool thing to have.

Turns out you can go wrong with S&W, I already had to replace the trigger on her after about 500 rounds, lol. Everyone told me I haven't shot it enough to get it to double fire, and I'm like, "Yeah, I get that. But it still did." Go figure. Think next time I'll invest in Aero. Still, it's a decent starter rifle.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:03 am

Interesting. I've never had a trigger wear out on me like that. Was it just a standard mil-spec or does S&W run something fancy?

If you're looking for a bargain try Palmetto State Armory. They have some amazing deals on AR stripped lowers, rifle kits, fully built lowers, whole guns, you name it. The Goblin is all PSA, I bought the lower on sale, later on I picked up the MOE Rifle kit. I had to hunt down the OD rear sight and foregrip seperately but I think I'm still below $500 on a very nice platform.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Zorah Valtero

Postby Zorah Valtero » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:57 pm

Mynock wrote:Interesting. I've never had a trigger wear out on me like that. Was it just a standard mil-spec or does S&W run something fancy?

If you're looking for a bargain try Palmetto State Armory. They have some amazing deals on AR stripped lowers, rifle kits, fully built lowers, whole guns, you name it. The Goblin is all PSA, I bought the lower on sale, later on I picked up the MOE Rifle kit. I had to hunt down the OD rear sight and foregrip seperately but I think I'm still below $500 on a very nice platform.

Mil-spec. I had it replaced with an ALG Quality Mil-Spec Trigger.

I've dabbled with PSA before. There are some nice things on there, I've picked up their AK-V (which is currently disabled due to pending regulation) and an PA-15 from there, as well as their PX9 and a few uppers. There are some nice deals to be had for sure, but I think with my next AR, I'll be going with something a little more mid-tier. Leaning towards an Aero Precision or Sig. Could also pick up a Bravo Company.

Ordinarily that costs a fair penny, but since I work at an FFL, I can order for cheap from our distributors. Nice little perk of the job. Maybe I can find an Aero 9mm upper with last round bolt hold open. The PX9 doesn't do that by default. Still a fun little plinker/home def gun. Cheaper to shoot than 5.56 or .300, and a hell of a lot easier on the ears if I ever have to use it indoors.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:07 am

Picked up something different over the weekend. AR Five Seven Upper. 5.7x28mm, top loads a fifty round FN-P90 mag, blowback operated. Fits on a standard lower receiver and ejects the spent shells out the magwell. It test fitted nicely to one of my existing lowers but It needs a specific weighted buffer to work right, so will probably end up getting it's own dedicated lower in the long run.

Did you not think you spent enough on ammo? LOL! That’s pretty sweet though. Save your brass, get some dies and reload to save yourself some pennies and see what groups you hit at 100. Those should almost be as straight 6.5 creed coming out of that barrel!
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

TK421

Postby TK421 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:10 am

Zorah Valtero wrote:

Nice, always wanted one of those uppers. Might be a cool thing to have.

Turns out you can go wrong with S&W, I already had to replace the trigger on her after about 500 rounds, lol. Everyone told me I haven't shot it enough to get it to double fire, and I'm like, "Yeah, I get that. But it still did." Go figure. Think next time I'll invest in Aero. Still, it's a decent starter rifle.

Yikes. Only 500? I’ve never seen that happen. Must have been a bad batch of disconnectors. S&W are typically the go to for most duty rifles for State and local PDs here save maybe Sig. It’s still something you can build off of. You can’t go wrong with Giselle triggers. I also had some decent luck with Rise Armament.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:19 am

Mynock wrote:Interesting. I've never had a trigger wear out on me like that. Was it just a standard mil-spec or does S&W run something fancy?

Sadly, I live in Mass and we can’t play with anything from PSA except through a dealer and they are restricted by AWB here in the state so needs to be pin and welded muzzle brake or comp (no flash hider unless preban) and stock needs to be fixed.

I’m running the Aero upper and lower for my .308 build and love it. I had the upper trued and the barrel is a 20” Faxon. I was reluctant at first because my buddy hated his but he also shot 6.5 Creed and I had a feeling he wasn’t using the right heads for his barrel. Mine can shoot dime sized groups with IMR 4064 with Sierra MK 168gr.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:26 am

Zorah Valtero wrote:

Mil-spec. I had it replaced with an ALG Quality Mil-Spec Trigger.

Ordinarily that costs a fair penny, but since I work at an FFL, I can order for cheap from our distributors. Nice little perk of the job. Maybe I can find an Aero 9mm upper with last round bolt hold open. The PX9 doesn't do that by default. Still a fun little plinker/home def gun. Cheaper to shoot than 5.56 or .300, and a hell of a lot easier on the ears if I ever have to use it indoors.

How attainable is a KP-9? I tried my friends and I loved it. Fun plinker. As you said, cheaper than most options available and even slightly cheaper than 7.62x39 steel case. I been bouncing either that or the PTR-9
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Zorah Valtero

Postby Zorah Valtero » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:09 pm

TK421 wrote:How attainable is a KP-9? I tried my friends and I loved it. Fun plinker. As you said, cheaper than most options available and even slightly cheaper than 7.62x39 steel case. I been bouncing either that or the PTR-9

They're fairly easy to get online. One of my buddies at work picked one up from a distributor, says it's well worth the money. They typically run about $900 retail.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:07 pm

TK421 wrote:Did you not think you spent enough on ammo? LOL! That’s pretty sweet though. Save your brass, get some dies and reload to save yourself some pennies and see what groups you hit at 100. Those should almost be as straight 6.5 creed coming out of that barrel!

I actually picked that up at a show cheap. Story I got was the guy special ordered it for somebody who put half the money down and then backed out and now he couldn't get rid of it cause of the ammo cost. Oh well. At $40-$50 a mag I probably won't shoot it too much but I like it cause it's different. I think when I do the build I'm gonna Cerakote all the polymer in Stormtrooper White, add a few Imperial logos here and there and make it a nice showpiece. 8-)
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:16 pm

Mynock wrote:
TK421 wrote:Did you not think you spent enough on ammo? LOL! That’s pretty sweet though. Save your brass, get some dies and reload to save yourself some pennies and see what groups you hit at 100. Those should almost be as straight 6.5 creed coming out of that barrel!

I actually picked that up at a show cheap. Story I got was the guy special ordered it for somebody who put half the money down and then backed out and now he couldn't get rid of it cause of the ammo cost. Oh well. At $40-$50 a mag I probably won't shoot it too much but I like it cause it's different. I think when I do the build I'm gonna Cerakote all the polymer in Stormtrooper White, add a few Imperial logos here and there and make it a nice showpiece. 8-)

Hey, for cheap, That’s not terrible. I kinda figured he’d be sitting on it just simply because 5.7 ammo is still ridiculously priced but as I said, if you’re occasionally handloading and plinking or in your case, missing rebel scum, then go for it. As far as mag prices, the only way we can get anything over 10 rounds in this state is buying preban/pre 1996 mags. AR prebans 30 rounders run 40-50 at keast and don’t even look at preban Glock or MP5 mags. They can start at 100-120 :lol:
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Return to “Off Topic”