Question for the Professionals--Firearms and Video/Movie Production

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Mynock

Question for the Professionals--Firearms and Video/Movie Production

Postby Mynock » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:44 pm

Need some help settling an arguement, has to do with certain "current events" which I won't get into unless the Mods say it's ok (although anyone who watches the news can probably guess ;) ). Anyway here goes:

In a movie/video production that includes/depicts the use of a firearm, is it considered acceptable practice to use an actual, real firearm capable of chambering and firing live ammo? If so, would it also be acceptable for persons involved in the production to train on set with live rounds before using the firearm to shoot a scene?

Common sense tells me the answer to both of these questions should be an emphatic "Fuck no! Are you fucking insane?!" But one can never underestimate the power of idiots.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Re: Question for the Professionals--Firearms and Video/Movie Production

Postby dlodoski » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:58 pm

Mynock wrote:Need some help settling an arguement, has to do with certain "current events" which I won't get into unless the Mods say it's ok (although anyone who watches the news can probably guess ;) ). Anyway here goes:

In a movie/video production that includes/depicts the use of a firearm, is it considered acceptable practice to use an actual, real firearm capable of chambering and firing live ammo? If so, would it also be acceptable for persons involved in the production to train on set with live rounds before using the firearm to shoot a scene?

Common sense tells me the answer to both of these questions should be an emphatic "Fuck no! Are you fucking insane?!" But one can never underestimate the power of idiots.

The fact that the gun(s) in question was used for recreational (live round) shooting on or near the set was a huge, unprofessional no no. That activity introduced live rounds to the environment. Take that away, and there's no tragedy.

I think they use actual weapons (shooting blanks) for the authenticity of the muzzle flash. The sound is mostly irrelevant. It's usually dubbed over in post production.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:28 pm

Mynock wrote:Need some help settling an arguement, has to do with certain "current events" which I won't get into unless the Mods say it's ok (although anyone who watches the news can probably guess ;) ). Anyway here goes:

I can only answer for myself but my answer would probably be a bit more explosive (sic) than Dave's. I expect I irritate some people with this but my Studio has a strict policy of no real firearms even on the property, with th sole exception that is someone must carry it with them while travelling, it must be stored in the locked trunk of their car at all times. The reason for this is not that I am anti gun. It is because we use somewhat realistic prop weapons sometimes with models and/or crew who would not know a real firearm from a blue jay.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:04 pm

Hollywood allows the use of actual firearms, and there have been a couple of actual disasters as a result.

It's one of those things that should be able to be done safely, if all the rules are followed, but since it's people who are expected to follow the rules, mistakes get made. Some willfully.

Still, it really is far less dangerous than other things we're allowed to do and don't think twice about. Like putting gasoline in a vehicle. Or driving. Or using a portable communication device while walking. Or swimming. Or smoking. Or drinking alcohol. Or using bleach to clean.

As a firearms enthusiast and a filmmaker, I would never use my firearms as props, nor allow them to be used by others. I would (and have) participate in productions that used actual firearms, but I reserve the right to walk off set if I'm not confident in the people and procedures.

I get it. Prop guns are expensive. Especially on the indie level, that cost can be the difference between a film getting made or not getting made. It's something that can be done safely, and has been done safely myriad times in myriad films and TV shows.

You ever play RPGs? Everything is about the modifiers. Having one beer with dinner before driving home only increases your chance of an accident by 2%. Tightening up your shoelaces increases your walking-without-tripping success rate by 5%. In this particular example, not using functional firearms will reduce your "someone gets shot" statistic by 75%. (People get shot, and killed, with blanks. It's just harder to do.) Maybe it was a low stat to begin with, but that's an easy improvement to buy.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:32 pm

Chimerix wrote: (People get shot, and killed, with blanks. It's just harder to do.)

Not for this guy - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

I always remembered this because I was attending Michigan State (he was a Spartan) when it happened.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:08 am

We're all familiar with the stuff that comes about from being careless on the set and tragedies like Brandon Lee and Alec Baldwin's movie. Back in the early years of movie production, sharpshooters were employed to produce actual bullet results. When John Wayne was making Saturday matinee stuff for Monarch studios he had only one guy he trusted. I've seen pictures of him and he looks like some old derelict but apparently he could shoot better than anyone. Occasionally you have to have live rounds to get some semi-auto weapons to fire or you really are aiming at a target. If someone hands me a firearm on set I'm going to treat it like it's loaded even if the slide is back and the clip is out. You have to make sure everyone else knows this before they get there. You wouldn't expect them to learn how to swim or drive on set.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:20 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:... even if the slide is back and the clip is out.

Magazine. :D :lol:
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:36 am

The chambering of a live round is a must unless you’re using a demilled firearm as nonfunctional prop (display only). Otherwise you can’t chamber blanks (unless using a modified chamber that will not permit the chambering of a live round). CGI is good but to get an accurate blowback, recoil, proper cycling and muzzle flash of a firearm is still very much difficult to replicate in live action filming without the use of blanks. That’s why they have weapons masters. The issue is if at any point of the chain of command, someone is lax on firearms safety, the whole set is at risk. The minute live ammo was introduced to the set, the recipe for disaster was already in motion. This is why when I do firearms safety training, there is NO live ammunition in the classroom ever and those who are already licensed to carry must lock their firearms and any spare mags away. No exceptions.

Having said that, I would say all live action firearms training should be taking place NO WHERE near a set. A week or so before production start, do a training then under the supervision of a licensed firearms instructor/RSO at another location away from the set but never the set itself. Yes, it’s sounds costly, but considering certain events, I’d say it’s worth mitigating the risks
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:05 pm

Chimerix wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:... even if the slide is back and the clip is out.

Magazine. :D :lol:

I just type what my fingers say. :roll:
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:57 pm

Thanks to all for the insight. :) I was being argued with that the person in question was just an actor and not responsible for any accidental discharges.

But since said actor was also the movie's producer, who was responsible for hiring a totally unprofessional shithead and allowed live fire gun play on the movie set, he's definitely cuplable.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Return to “Off Topic”