The Wreck Of The Titan (How Not To Build A Submarine)

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Mynock

Re: The Wreck Of The Titan (How Not To Build A Submarine)

Postby Mynock » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:47 pm

TK421 wrote:It sucks because it’s going to force governments to put these instances under scrutiny which can make things cost prohibitive for true scientists who want to experiment on various designs

This is a problem inherant to modern society. Every time some idiot or a bunch of idiots finds a new and exciting way to kill themselves we react in knee jerk fashion and slap a bunch of regulatory bullshit on something.

Personally I'm cool with chalking this up to evolution and letting things be. Nothing to see here folks. There was some algae in the Gene Pool but our friend Charles got with the net. 8-)
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:04 am

Mynock wrote:
TK421 wrote:It sucks because it’s going to force governments to put these instances under scrutiny which can make things cost prohibitive for true scientists who want to experiment on various designs

This is a problem inherant to modern society. Every time some idiot or a bunch of idiots finds a new and exciting way to kill themselves we react in knee jerk fashion and slap a bunch of regulatory bullshit on something.

Personally I'm cool with chalking this up to evolution and letting things be. Nothing to see here folks. There was some algae in the Gene Pool but our friend Charles got with the net. 8-)

I think there might’ve been some issues with their genitalia.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:26 am

Human remains likely recovered from wreckage of Titan submersible, Coast Guard says

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 367000007/
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

TK421

Postby TK421 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:54 am

BogDog wrote:Human remains likely recovered from wreckage of Titan submersible, Coast Guard says

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 367000007/

Now THAT is surprising. Assuming nothing wasn’t instantly turned into tomato purée, most of the aquatic life on the ocean floor certainly would have taken care of the rest.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

TK421

Postby TK421 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:59 am

Mynock wrote:

My general rule is when you take the human body into conditions where it is not built to withstand unassisted, you BETTER know what you are doing. If not, then you better hire someone who does because as we found out, Earth science and Mother Nature can be pretty unforgiving at those pressure depths.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

Tim Kelly

Postby Tim Kelly » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:51 pm

Personally, building a submarine that barely meets the standard of a rubber duck and that wouldn't be safe in a bathtub, calling it Titan, and then taking it to look at the wreck of the Titanic, is just asking for trouble.
"Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh! Quicksand! I'm sinking! I'll go straight to the bottom of.......GLURP!"
(a month later)
"Ugh! Yukkkh! Ptui! I'm out of it! I'm free! Not even quicksand can defeat the power of.....the Eye of Zoltec!"

rhinodynamo

Postby rhinodynamo » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:54 am

In case anybody forgot, The Wreck of the Titan was even a book in the late 1890's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wreck ... ,_Futility

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:32 pm

A hundred years ago or so you could go over Niagra Falls in a barrel or try to fly. Killing yourself in what amounts to a spectacular stunt is nothing new. It just costs more.

Fly off the Eiffel Tower - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUYPrKKM5M

In 1920, English barber Charles Stephens made history as the first person to die attempting to go over the falls in a barrel, when the anvil he packed as ballast burst through the bottom of the barrel, taking him with it.

Flat Earth Rocket Fool - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcs8YHBsBjY

Somehow it's just more remarkable when rich people do it. Poor folks don't have a monopoly on stupid.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:28 am

They would’ve been better off in a beer can and an Edison cylinder.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:41 am

In 1920, English barber Charles Stephens made history as the first person to die attempting to go over the falls in a barrel, when the anvil he packed as ballast burst through the bottom of the barrel, taking him with it.

I remember reading about that. Damn fool tied the weight to his leg(!)

Upon the request by Leach, Hill Sr. suggested that Stephens send the barrel over the Falls unoccupied, as a test. Stephens was a stubborn man who strongly disagreed with this idea and decided to carry out with his plans. The barrel was heavy and was designed with straps for Stephens’ arms. As means for steering, Stephens strapped an anvil to his feet. He was unenthusiastically persuaded to take a small tank of oxygen with him and he wore only padded clothing.

While attempting to perform this feat with no police interference, Leach, Hill Sr. and a small fanfare looked on in amazement and horror at 8:15am. Stephens left from Snyder’s point located about 5 km upstream from the Falls. Leach, with fear of certain tragedy, left before Stephens went over the brink at 8:55 a.m. When the huge barrel hit the water at the base of the waterfall, the anvil which was tied to Stephens’ feet was propelled through the bottom of the barrel taking Stephens to his death.

The remnants of the barrel remained trapped at the base of the Falls until its iron rings broke away. When the debris was recovered, only the tattooed right arm of Stephens was still strapped in the harness.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Return to “Off Topic”