Need TV Advice

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Mynock

Re: Need TV Advice

Postby Mynock » Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:05 am

Long story short, I had an RCA 25" Tube in my basement that I've had since 1997.

Drug it up from the depths of my basement, did a LOT of cleaning, hit the power button. Few seconds of whining while the capacitors charged.....and up comes the static screen. :shock: :D

With a little help from an adaptor I got the BluRay player hooked up and now I'm sitting here watching a movie.

26 years old.....been down in the basement for better than 10 years.....and it fired right up. Them old people are right. They just don't make them like they used to.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:50 pm

TK421 wrote:Samsung seems to be the champion of this field. Simple. Easy to use. Great picture for the dollar. Low return rate. Solid OS. They’re running a sale right now as we speak and the QLED maybe only just outside your price range. Check out the price of a 65” Samsung Q60.

This right here. I buy tv's all the time at work and Samsung is the way to go. Sony will give you a look like no other for as long as it lasts. Which in my experience isn't very long now days. I've got a bunch of Samsung models and not only do they look good for the money but they are properly supported as well.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Kinky Desires

Postby Kinky Desires » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:53 pm

I bought a 55" LG OLED TV a couple of years ago and it's been awesome. I chose LG because they were practically the only brand I could find which had direct inputs for a 'freesat' satellite dish, which saves the need for having to hook up a set-top box!

I don't know if it's the same story in the states but in the UK if I Google "best oled tv brand", the search results seem to be pretty much full of pages recommending LG or Samsung. If I then hit CTRL F to search the search results (lol) I can see that LG is mentioned on the first page 33 times, whereas Samsung is only mentioned 18 times

TK421

Postby TK421 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:42 pm

Mynock wrote:
dlodoski wrote:Avoid Visio.

TK421 wrote:Vizio is hit or miss. They been a miss lately.

Guess what brand the one that died was? :lol:

TK421 wrote:Samsung seems to be the champion of this field. Simple. Easy to use. Great picture for the dollar. Low return rate. Solid OS. They’re running a sale right now as we speak and the QLED maybe only just outside your price range. Check out the price of a 65” Samsung Q60.

Q60 is def out of my price range, but I actually did keep going back to the Samsung CU8000.....I'd rather not deal with the hassle of getting a tv delivered, my local Walmart has it but it lists as the CU8000B......?

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions- ... CU8000FXZA

The 8000 series isn’t bad! Technically they are last years Q60. Everyone I’ve installed loves them. Granted they don’t come with the same chip set or OS as the Q series but depending on how you use it or what you are upgrading from, how many are truly going to miss that?
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

TK421

Postby TK421 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:49 pm

Mynock wrote:
dlodoski wrote:Avoid Visio.

TK421 wrote:Vizio is hit or miss. They been a miss lately.

Guess what brand the one that died was? :lol:

Q60 is def out of my price range, but I actually did keep going back to the Samsung CU8000.....I'd rather not deal with the hassle of getting a tv delivered, my local Walmart has it but it lists as the CU8000B......?

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions- ... CU8000FXZA

So if you are looking to save some pennies, you could go the “Club” route. Sams Club, Costco and BJs all have Samsungs on their lineup however they are sku’d and model numbered differently from the retail offerings deliberately to prevent customers trying to price match club discounted TVs. Typically these are almost identical to their retail cousins albeit missing some minor features like an additional HDMI input or two, USB, Optical output, etc. They tend to get frowned upon but they have a place in the industry simply because if your are running a theater system with a receiver, how much are you going to miss the extra 3 HDMIs in the back of your TV?

If you see something on there and need to know, I can easily cross reference the sku/model to its retail equivalent
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:02 pm

Kinky Desires wrote:I bought a 55" LG OLED TV a couple of years ago and it's been awesome. I chose LG because they were practically the only brand I could find which had direct inputs for a 'freesat' satellite dish, which saves the need for having to hook up a set-top box!

I don't know if it's the same story in the states but in the UK if I Google "best oled tv brand", the search results seem to be pretty much full of pages recommending LG or Samsung. If I then hit CTRL F to search the search results (lol) I can see that LG is mentioned on the first page 33 times, whereas Samsung is only mentioned 18 times

LG OLED is literally the best thing LG has going for it in the consumer electronics industry however, The Sony Master series absolutely destroys the C3. You will pay more for it but believe me, what Sony did with the OLED screens from LG is insane! The LG nanocells are OK but again, that stupid OS kills it. The Gallery Series seem to be their best operating TV outside of OLED to date but from an installer perspective, their provided proprietary mount is absolutely abysmal and is partly why Samsung FrameTV is beating the shit out of them despite FrameTV having their own quirks.

That said, You’re not getting an OLED from anyone in the price range or 600-700 usd. It may get there in the future now the cat is out of the bag and Samsung now is making them but I think that day is still a ways off.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:07 pm

Mynock wrote:Long story short, I had an RCA 25" Tube in my basement that I've had since 1997.

Drug it up from the depths of my basement, did a LOT of cleaning, hit the power button. Few seconds of whining while the capacitors charged.....and up comes the static screen. :shock: :D

With a little help from an adaptor I got the BluRay player hooked up and now I'm sitting here watching a movie.

26 years old.....been down in the basement for better than 10 years.....and it fired right up. Them old people are right. They just don't make them like they used to.

That is literally every Tube tv. I’m still hauling away 36” Sony Trinitrons that I sold 20 years ago out of peoples basements. LOL
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:12 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:

This right here. I buy tv's all the time at work and Samsung is the way to go. Sony will give you a look like no other for as long as it lasts. Which in my experience isn't very long now days. I've got a bunch of Samsung models and not only do they look good for the money but they are properly supported as well.

So Sony has gotten significantly better over the course of the last decade. At one point, it was really a boring selection because when asked, it was ALWAYS Samsung but in the past 8-10 years, Sony has undergone a radical change with their focus and has taken multiple awards from CES and even knocked Samsung off it’s perch. Especially with their Master Series LED and OLED TVs.

Before you would need to pull teeth to get a tech agent on the horn, now I wanna say that has also changed. In the hundreds of TV mountings that involved Sony, I had only 4 that I can remember off the top of my head that needed a return authorization or service. 3 were botched in shipping and arrived cracked. The 4th, and the largest, was an 85” Sony Master Series TV that went dead 6 months after it was installed. Bad power supply. Sony had a tech there by that weekend to repair it and I had it back up on their wall to enjoy it by game time that Sunday.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:06 pm

TK421 wrote:So if you are looking to save some pennies, you could go the “Club” route.

If you see something on there and need to know, I can easily cross reference the sku/model to its retail equivalent

My local Walmart has a CU8000B in stock, assuming that would be the Wally World version of the CU8000?
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:21 am

Mynock wrote:
TK421 wrote:So if you are looking to save some pennies, you could go the “Club” route.

My local Walmart has a CU8000B in stock, assuming that would be the Wally World version of the CU8000?

Correct. Still the 8000 series and still a decent TV that will provide a great picture, solid OS and admirable features for the money spent. There are 3 floating out there. CU8000 (2023 Model), BU8000 (2022/23) and the CU8000B
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Return to “Off Topic”