Politics and quicksand

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
tempman

Re: Politics and quicksand

Postby tempman » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Mynock wrote:
tempman wrote:
nachtjaeger wrote:There is a "free lunch" though. I really hate that saying because it's absolutely untrue and completely dispels the notion of volunteering, open source, friendly support etc.

The free lunch isn't the problem. The problem is that too many people who don't desearve the free lunch are getting it anyway. Ever work as a cashier? You'd be amazed at how many nice things people can afford to buy even though they pay for their food with your tax dollars.

I don't mind that. Right now I live in a place with 17.5% tax, and next year it's going up to 20% (I believe). But again I don't mind it because I've been on the receiving end of it. After I graduated university the recession hit, so there were no jobs in my field. Its only been recently that I've been able to get a job and make a good wage. I honestly don't mind tax increases, etc if it means there is a net to catch those in bad situations. So what if a minority abuse it? I like knowing that the freedom exists for them to do that, and for me to do that too if I wish.

I believe that is one of the major sociological problems of the western world; greed. I live a very happy life on my £25k ($40k-ish) a year, and hell once my girlfriend gets a job (another unlucky graduate) we'll be double that. I'm able to live in a nice detached house, drive a nice car, not be in debt. I'm able to buy things to entertain myself and live in a nice neighbourhood, and should I need to go on a fancy holiday to a desert island every year. Yet some people complain even though they pay less tax which goes to helping others. It's beyond me.
(not aimed at you btw, just a stored up argument xD)

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:44 pm

Reminds me of an old song... altered slightly...

"The politics of sinking.... the politics of mmmm... feeling good..." ;)

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:03 pm

Boggy Man wrote:Many places may become no longer accessible. :(

Sadly, that is my feeling too. The nannies will move in and there'll be signs put up.

since then, law enforcement has kept an eye on all quarries in that part of Texas, looking for any suspicious activity! :shock: (

I've heard that story about Rob before. What suspicious activity? Sinking activity and shooting activity are not suspicious activities at all.

I know of a similar situation where a producer actually obtained permission for a shoot at a quarry but he did only get this permission once and once only...the next year, according to the same quarry management, the mudpit where he shot scenes (sob, I believe mudpits have souls!)...was killed...("It's dangerous! People can sink all the way under in it!").

But my mud buddy with Google Earth thinks that this might not be so. "There's something in that general area and it looks like it just might be..."

Liar-liar-your-pits-are-on-fire?

Nessie

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:31 pm

tempman wrote: I'm able to live in a nice detached house, drive a nice car, not be in debt. I'm able to buy things to entertain myself and live in a nice neighbourhood, and should I need to go on a fancy holiday to a desert island every year. Yet some people complain even though they pay less tax which goes to helping others. It's beyond me.
(not aimed at you btw, just a stored up argument xD)

You will complain too when all of your own hard work is taken from you just because somebody else doesn't want to do that. When those things you list can't be yours because someone else wants them without making the effort. How would you have felt in school if one of your good grades had been taken from you and given to someone who cut class for no good reason?
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:03 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:When those things you list can't be yours because someone else wants them without making the effort.

I look at it more, like:

"As of this minute and today, I don't need one, but...someday...this safety net might be here for ME."

Nessie

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:27 am

Build your own net--then you won't need someone else to. It's not that hard. Keep 3 months salary in the bank for an emergency fund. When you finance something, like a car or house, make sure you never owe more then it's worth and make sure you carry enough insurance on both of them. Use credit but don't abuse it. The tips above are the one's people who find themselves in trouble DON'T use.
If I lost my job tomorrow, between my savings and (God forbid it gets this bad but...) my 401K I could survive about 6 months. After that, if things got bad enough, I could sell my truck and make a few grand. Then if all else fails I can sell my house (the market isn't as bad around here as it is in other places) and probably make enough off the sale to rent an apartment for a good year.
Oh, and before anyone gets on my case, I'm not trying to brag or say I'm king shit of turd mountain or anything, just trying to show everyone a good example of personal responsibility--something that many people seem to be lacking these days.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:37 am

Mynock wrote:Build your own net--then you won't need someone else to. It's not that hard. Keep 3 months salary in the bank for an emergency fund.

My emergency fund is good for about two years. But somehow I still don't feel so secure.

Theoretically, I should be retiring with full Social Security benefits at age 67. However, I expect to be pushed out of my field well before then. Based on my best assessment of industry trends in my field, it looks like it's likely to happen when I am between 55 and 60 years old, at which time I will be out there as Somebody With Wrinkles trying to compete with 20-somethings out of school.

You can lay what happened to my field all at the door of greed. At one time, $25 an hour for a top operator was an industry standard.

Now, I'll read some want ad and they demand a bachelor's degree, an outstanding portfolio, a long list of graphics programs plus expert web skills...plus the "ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment" and then they state that this stellar position pays $13 an hour.

Is there any word for that at all except "greed"?

(I should just go back to waiting tables, huh? If I smile a lot, and don't work for a total dive...I could probably match that $13 per hour. I'll still be multitasking in a fast-paced environment but at least I could stop re-inventing my computer skills every year.)

I can't think of a thing to do except learn to work from home and plant little roots out there. I don't have much time for it now, but probably someday I'll have nothing to do but water that little plant and try to turn it into a money tree because I very well may not be able to get a REAL job anywhere around these parts.

But the good news? Unless my health insurance system changes in a very major way, it really won't hurt me to work without a real job. They barely pick up any of that anyway.

I was once young and thought:

"I am a responsible person. I handle my money well. I depend on nobody. Therefore, nothing can happen to me!"

Nessie

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:22 am

Didn't some politician once say "America needs a social safety net; the problem is, too many people are using it as a hammock."

Nessie wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:When those things you list can't be yours because someone else wants them without making the effort.

I look at it more, like:

"As of this minute and today, I don't need one, but...someday...this safety net might be here for ME."

Nessie
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:30 am

nachtjaeger wrote:Didn't some politician once say "America needs a social safety net; the problem is, too many people are using it as a hammock."

I don't know who said it but it's the best damn way of explaining the problem I've ever heard.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Are we very sure it's too many? Totally sure?

Are we sure it isn't closer to:

"Aha! Caught a freeloader! My money helped pay for this and now my money has been wasted. Tear down the hammocks...now, sleep on the ground...all of you!"

If you have a job, be glad you don't need the hammock. And if you are looking for work right now...you know what I mean.

Nessie

Return to “Off Topic”