MacBook Opinions

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
spunkee311

MacBook Opinions

Postby spunkee311 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:28 am

As an IT major and for my own personal needs, it looks like a Macbook seems to be the way to go over PC's. Not that anything is wrong with PC. I love them and work/play with them everyday. I think I'll always have my desktop be a PC.
I have an HP Pavilion DV2700 Notebook that is now 2 years old. I love this laptop because its a special edition, 4 gigs of ram, AMD Turion 64X2 - 2.1GHz (which I guess is now starting to show its age).
Anyways, I wanted to help someone out by selling this reliable laptop to them and possibly switching over to a Macbook Pro. I just wanted any Macbook users opinions about the pro and/or Feedback about. Just overall opinions.
I'm interested in possibly getting the 13" which apparently is the only model that carres a core duo, but I'd rather have my laptop be as small as possible.
I'm not too familiar with Macbooks whatsoever so any info would be appreciated. I've been able to use some here and there, but unfortunately all of my classes and my school (UCF) is pretty much 99% PC. So its hard to learn something outside of that.
Also, since the Macbooks are a completely different Notebook in terms of operating system and architecture, is 4 gigs of Ram Really necessary? Or overkill? Reason being its a deciding factor on whether or not I go with the PRO or just the regular white Macbook.
Although I'm leaning towards the PRO because it has the card readers.

igor795

Re: MacBook Opinions

Postby igor795 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Greetings,
As a recent Mac user I have owned both the 13" mac book and now a 15' Mac book pro. They are quick and reliable and only had 2 gigs of ram, from a personal point of view a Mac has both it's pros and cons. The first con for me was the limit in video play back I have all the players and additions recommended but still find problems playing back some odd videos. IF you are a fan of Microsoft office you might have to try open office as the Mac version of Microsoft office is problematic. Every thing else the Mac is the way to go, one recommendation I have learned from experience is to try and get an older model. the new uni body Mac are very difficult to up grade the older Mac books allowed for hard drive replacement and memory upgrades as well as easy battery swaps.
Hopes this helps a little
Igor 795

tempman

Re: MacBook Opinions

Postby tempman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:28 pm

I have a Windows 7 PC for my desktop computer and a Macbook Pro 13".

Whatever mistakes Apple makes they do make excellent laptops. Prior to the Macbook Pro I used to own a Powerbook. It's 7 years old but it still functions really well, the only thing I had to replace was the battery.
Regarding video... just install Perian. I have that on my Mac and it loads all the video files I can throw at it. I use VLC for backup just incase I hit compatibility problems.

Return to “Off Topic”