Truly Silly movie(s)

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
PM2K
Always Remembered

Re: Truly Silly movie(s)

Postby PM2K » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:16 pm

That's for sure.... Robert Shaw's scene was brilliant.... a standout in a movie filled with standouts....

They really don't make them like that any more. More's the pity....

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:09 am

kham wrote:And anyone who never heard of USS Indianapolis, well, this movie cured that....

That had to be the most serious, and for some, the most meaningful part of the movie. Indeed, the role played by USS Indianapolis in World War II is quite historic. The documentary on the Military Channel regarding USS Indianapolis is worth watching.

merloch

Postby merloch » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:48 am

the movie which is called operation shark is about the uss indianapolis but back the piranha 3d I think it looks good just waiting for it to come out into the theater I am closer too

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:23 am

kham wrote:Just look at The Thing -- there is no modern equivalent to that movie in either 'scare-the-crap-out-of-you' factor, or the ick factor either, and that's almost 30 years ago now :)

John Carpenter's version or the older one? I actually own the JC version it's one of my favs.
Anybody go see Paranormal activity? That was the first movie in a long time that actually scared the hell out of me.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:03 pm

PM2K wrote:That's for sure.... Robert Shaw's scene was brilliant.... a standout in a movie filled with standouts....

They really don't make them like that any more. More's the pity....

The movie or the actor? Either way you're right. Robert Shaw was terrific but Spielberg originally wanted the only guy I can think of that might have chewed the scenery even better, Oliver Reed. The studio wouldn't go for it because they didn't think he could go that long without drinking, fighting, or skirt chasing. When Shaw was suggested they relented since he usually put all that away while working. Oliver Reed, Robert Shaw, Sean Connery...I could make a big list going all the way back to the silent era of real guys who just happened to take up acting. No, they don't much make them like that any longer.

They don't much make real movies either. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “Off Topic”