Truly Silly movie(s)

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
kham
Always Remembered

Truly Silly movie(s)

Postby kham » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:42 am

Ok, maybe someone who has actually seen the movie yet can confirm this; One of the late summer`s `movies` - and I use that term loosely here - `Piranha -in 3D` is supposed to have the first victim being Richard Dreyfuss, sitting in a rowboat, and singing -get this - "show me the way to go home" Now, the movie is apparently schlock, but the writers get a 10/10 for irony there :lol: I heard this on the Dennis Miller show coming back by Chicago, and nearly drove off the road from laughing so hard :mrgreen:

Any other good chuckles from the summer movie season? ;)

Mynock

Re: Truly Silly movie(s)

Postby Mynock » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:25 am

it got rave reviews on the Piranha forum I belong to.
If only I could get someone to genetically engineer me one of those fish....I'd trade my Reds in for one of those any day. 8-)
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

bbjohn

Postby bbjohn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:48 am

I haven't seen the film, and I'm not sure I want to. Either you're into gore or you're not, and I'm not into gore. However, if they had they had a scene where some females (and perhaps some males too for the women in the audience) got out of the water to escape the piranhas and then sank into quicksand on the beach, that would be diffrent.

I happen to live in western Arizona, and I've been to Lake Havasu City, where the movie was made. I can tell you they went nuts for that movie, and really rolled out the red carpet for the production company. If you know what's happened to the economy in that part of Arizona, then you know they need all the help they can get.

They used a lot of the locals as extras. From what I hear, the audiences in Lake Havasu City haven't been paying too much attention to the plot. They're all trying to spot themselves or their friends on the screen!

big Bad John

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:47 am

Oh I think this one pretty much got the tongue planted firmly in cheek, if they using Dreyfuss (also known as Matt Hooper, shark expert in Jaws...) as comic relief by getting killed no less, It just aint the same thing :P

Jaws --- didnt go swimming for a year -- most modern 'horror' movies more of a chuckle, which either shows we totally jaded, or they just cant do good drama anymore.

Just look at The Thing -- there is no modern equivalent to that movie in either 'scare-the-crap-out-of-you' factor, or the ick factor either, and that's almost 30 years ago now :)

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:39 pm

kham wrote: Jaws --- didnt go swimming for a year -- most modern 'horror' movies more of a chuckle, which either shows we totally jaded, or they just cant do good drama anymore.
Just look at The Thing -- there is no modern equivalent to that movie in either 'scare-the-crap-out-of-you' factor, or the ick factor either, and that's almost 30 years ago now :)

Agree with you on both counts. To this day, I still cannot watch the first 15 minutes of Jaws without cringing and getting the shakes.... even after seeing it the 20th time... and not a drop of blood is shown.

As for The Thing, it earns its status as a horror classic. CGI still cannot hold a candle to the effects in that.... with the beast turning into a pack of dogs one highlight yet to be duplicated... among many.

Sometimes, new isn't necessarily better... ;)

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Yeah, in the ancient times (tm) producers and directors got the 'less is more' concept; the bit with the 2 knuckleheads and the roast, and the dock heading for Ireland, then slooowly coming about..... and you dont even see a fin or a ripple the entire scene :mrgreen:

As for The Thing:

"What the hell is in there?"
'I donno, but its BIG and PISSED OFF!' :lol:

And the whole bit with the blood; anyone who didnt jump in that scene, is right up there with claiming you never cried when old yeller died :shock:

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:58 pm

They just don't do films or TV like they did in the "old days." The old black and white series of The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits with Rod Serling narrating still reign supreme, in my opinion.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:01 pm

kham wrote:Yeah, in the ancient times (tm) producers and directors got the 'less is more' concept; the bit with the 2 knuckleheads and the roast, and the dock heading for Ireland, then slooowly coming about..... and you dont even see a fin or a ripple the entire scene :mrgreen:

As for The Thing:

"What the hell is in there?"
'I donno, but its BIG and PISSED OFF!' :lol:

And the whole bit with the blood; anyone who didnt jump in that scene, is right up there with claiming you never cried when old yeller died :shock:

Oh, yeah... but you forget the quintessential Thing line... "You got to be fucking kidding me..." as a head breaks free, sprouts legs and eyestalks, and scampers off. :D

Up there with "You're going to need a bigger boat..." from Jaws...

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:05 pm

PM2K wrote:Up there with "You're going to need a bigger boat..." from Jaws...

OH, YES! Indeed a classic quote and the biggest understatement all in one.

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:11 pm

I didnt forget it, its just one of many in that same scene :D

And anyone who never heard of USS Indianapolis, well, this movie cured that....

Return to “Off Topic”