-

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Kookus

Re: Finally: Caught & Frisked by the police

Postby Kookus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:23 am

Being nice is great and all, but let's not kid ourselves: if an officer takes it upon himself to ruin your life over rolling around in the mud nude, he can do it. "Public Indecency" is one of the many blanket offenses that can land you on the sexual offenders list -- there's usually a few drunken party-goers in Montgomery who figure this one out every New Year's Eve when they're hauled in for pissing in public. For the rest of your life, you'll be forced to tell all potential employers that you are a sexual offender, notify all new neighbors any time you move, and resign yourself to living in the sticks, since most jurisdictions with more than two neurons to rub together have figured out how to abuse the "1000 foot" law forbidding offenders from living within range of "places where children congregate" by labeling every empty lot and free patch of grass as a park. For some of us, that would end all future job prospects on the spot; our lives would be over.

So, yeah... I guess what I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with demanding a lawyer immediately. Thinking that doing so is "rude" may well cost you everything you have.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:38 pm

Kookus wrote:So, yeah... I guess what I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with demanding a lawyer immediately. Thinking that doing so is "rude" may well cost you everything you have.

Being nice has nothing to do with getting an attorney and keeping your mouth shut if you are in trouble. That's just being smart. My method is all about not letting the situation get to that point. So far (knock on wood) it's worked for me several times.

The late, great, Chuck Lang was an outrageously gregarious sort who had professional connections with all the local law enforcement in the Chester area. Just mentioning his name was enough to fix things. Having him along was even better. I'm sure the small town/rural situation had a lot to do with his folksiness but I learned a few things from him. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:I guess my take on this is different since I am definitely a "looker" and not a "doer".

I got a sneaking feeling that since most police officers are male, they may be secretly wishing they WERE you even though they can't say so professionally.

I agree, though, that there is nothing wrong with demanding an attorney. If you end up with an officer who's out to make your life Hell over a mudpit, and being nice and cooperative to this officer doesn't appear to de-escalate things...you certainly have a right to one.

SCREAMING, though, like some folks do, isn't a good strategy.

Nessie

mudxdresser

Postby mudxdresser » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:39 am

Chuck Lang was a very good friend of mine and, just for the record, he had what is known as a "get out of jail free card" as he was a death row prison guard in Chester, Illinois. He was also a reserve deputy with the local, I think, county police force. Bottom line, he was a good 'ole boy with the finest credentials a feller in a rural town can have. He described himself as a "big fish in a small goldfish bowl". There is no substitute for both being one of and knowing most every law enforcement officer in the county if you'd like to have a little kinky fun when off duty...

DangerGirl

Postby DangerGirl » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:29 am

Words to live by here.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:57 am

DangerGirl wrote:Words to live by here.

Hey. That Chris fella is a smart man.

Does that mean...don't sink naked with a loaded gun in one hand and a joint in the other as a boom box surrounded by empty beer bottles blasts rap music 'til the tree branches vibrate...and you and your significant other, drunk as skunks and mad as a snapping turtle that's been stepped on in the mud, scream F-words at each other?

Nessie

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:20 am

^^^Now that sounds like a good time!! :lol:
Agreed with Mr. Rock. Easiest way to avoid confrontations with the police is not to break the law.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Allusion Namiboo
Location: Where pumping your fist is legal, but pumping gas isn't.

Postby Allusion Namiboo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:38 am

Mynock wrote:The best excuse you can possibly have is to have a sinking partner of the opposite sex. Get caught and just use the excuse of "Well we were hiking around and decided to get a little kinky in the mud....sorry. :oops: " You might still end up a trespass citation or something but at least they're not going to take you for a weirdo and really throw the book at you. 8-)

Bwahahahaha... yeah, but it definitely does NOT work for partners of the same sex. =.=

Northerner

Postby Northerner » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:19 pm

I want to make it clear that in the USA, the police have no right to search your car without probable cause. They do not necessarily need a search warrant, but there must be some reason to believe that you have something illegal in your car. The police can ask to search, they can intimidate you, but the 4th amendment to the US Constitution protects Americans from unreasonable searches.

This video is a pretty good illustration of how to handle a police traffic stop in the USA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJrQBwJpqk
See my art at: DeviantArt, Tumblr, Pixiv

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:27 am

^^With all due respect that video is bullshit and gives a very bad impression of American law enforcement.
If a cop has to follow you for 30+ seconds with lights and siren on before you in any way acknowledge the fact he's behind you, while you and your buddies are jumping around and making (to a police officer) extremely suspicious movements, that gives the officer probable cause to search your vehicle.
Also, I'd like to add that I've been pulled over quite a few times (had and to an extent still have a bad case of lead foot disease. 8-) ) and have never had a cop behave that way towards me. Local or State, they've always been professional and courteous.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Return to “Off Topic”