My Take on Criticism

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Nessie
Producer

Re: My Take on Criticism

Postby Nessie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:10 am

index wrote:interesting reading huh? :)

Yeah.

It's a good manip. She's blended well with the background and it's a striking pose. (I always liked your little silhouette logo too.)

And I am puzzled. These folks are put off by "pointless nudity" on a site that's called DEVIANT Art?

What planet are they from?

Nessie

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:48 pm

Nessie wrote:And I am puzzled. These folks are put off by "pointless nudity" on a site that's called DEVIANT Art?

What planet are they from?

Nessie
They are from Deviantart. As I said above, it's not the worst thing at DA. A lot of works are just removed as "violating rules". The more popular an artist is, the more haters he or she has.
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Zorah Valtero

Postby Zorah Valtero » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:46 am

IMO, "All of your drawings look exactly the same" doesn't count as constructive criticism, but rather idiot trolling.

Just a thought.

Weapon X

Postby Weapon X » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:40 am

Zorah Valtero wrote:IMO, "All of your drawings look exactly the same" doesn't count as constructive criticism, but rather idiot trolling.

Just a thought.

I agee on that one. I had to bite my tongue....errrr, typing fingers when I read that.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:30 am

Billie Bonce wrote:They are from Deviantart. As I said above, it's not the worst thing at DA. A lot of works are just removed as "violating rules". The more popular an artist is, the more haters he or she has.

So...I see...or I guess I don't...

Conformity and deviancy just don't seem to go together.

Nessie

Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

Postby Lomax » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:51 pm

index wrote:I've always enjoyed criticism of my work...

Me too. I'm jealous. If I could get a quarter of that amount of feedback for one of my stories.....
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

quagmire_uk

Postby quagmire_uk » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:02 am

Nessie wrote:So...I see...or I guess I don't...

Conformity and deviancy just don't seem to go together.

Nessie

The site is called deviantart but I don't think it is actually supposed to be a place for art by deviants. It's a site where anyone can create an account and upload some art, and since it is very popular and has millions of users stuff has to conform and ahdere to mainstream values. The deviant thing is just a name.

tempman

Postby tempman » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:20 pm

My real life self is in the creative industry too, I've been a developer and producer on some fairly popular game titles. You have to take criticism in 2 tiers - one being the peers who are understandably the ones to listen to for artistic merit. The other tier is the consumer, who are the most important group to listen to.

Wait! Conflict! And that's the problem. You need to listen and take crit from both. If 1 consumer, or a minority complain about something... Then so what? If it actually hinders the project somehow and the peers also chime in with similar criticism then listen, for the love of God listen! Heh. Both are valuable for different reasons and both should always be listened and responded to.

I like all the crit I can get. Unless they have an agenda or a vendetta against the (lets just say for the sake of argument) creator then every inch of crit should be taken on board.

stevensenechal

Postby stevensenechal » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:43 am

Do it because you love it and you will never have a problem. Success is just a bonus.....
Arrakis trains the faithful.

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:54 pm

Generally, if I don't like a contribution, I don't comment on it. Even if requested to, I'm usually reluctant -- from past experience -- to indulge in useful feedback.
Viridian @ deviantART: http://viridianqs.deviantart.com/

Return to “Off Topic”