Canadian Man Defends Home From Firebombing, Now Faces Jail

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
undergrain1

Re: Canadian Man Defends Home From Firebombing, Now Faces Ja

Postby undergrain1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:22 am

in Canada you are not allowed to use firearms except for hunting and at a gun range. This stupid law has the effect of giving criminals the right to carry and concealed carry. AFterall, they break laws on stealing, breaking and entering, speeding, raping, etc. what's one more law (firearm use law)?

I believe that you are not allowed to shoot at the intruder unless you've backed yourself as far as you can into some retreat in your house and the person is still trying to get to you and not just take your valuables

it's an idiotic law brought in by the dumb liberals in 1990s, part of a series of ever more restrictive laws over the decades.

Jamaica, Washington DC banned guns - their crime rates went up because the crooks were the only ones who could carry guns, not law abiding citizens

Britain confiscated private guns - the crime rate went up.

criminals smuggle guns and they don't register or report them!!

Switzerland has one village where the law requires a loaded gun in each home - crime rate low.

it only stands to reason.

Pretend you're a crook, and you're driving down the street intent on breaking into one of th ehomes on the street and taking stuff.

in Canada, you know the homeowner, even if he has a gun, has it locked up in a cabinet so you have time to stop him from getting to it, and even if he illegally has it out and a trigger lock removed (in violation of the law), the owner will still be in fear of prosecution and revoking of his possession licence if he fires it.

in the USA where sanity prevails, you have no idea which homes have guns, and you know they dont have to be locked up... and you have no idea if the person is willing to shoot at you for trying to break in.

which country would you rather commit crime in?

they sure have a lot of shooting incidents and crimes at gun shows, don't they? NOT!

oh yes, in canada, the crook, if he slips on the throw rug and injures himjself, he can sue the home owner for the injuries he wouldnt have suffered if he had not broken into the house in the first place

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:52 am

Time to throw in another statistic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

That's 1.81 homicides per 100.000 population in 2009 in Canada, and 5.0 in the United States.

undergrain1 wrote:which country would you rather commit crime in?

Funny thing about this question is, that it can be interpreted in two ways:
1. If you were a criminal, where you would rather commit your crimes?
2. In which country would you be more likely to become a criminal?

Just some food for thought.
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:24 pm

Aiko wrote:Time to throw in another statistic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

That's 1.81 homicides per 100.000 population in 2009 in Canada, and 5.0 in the United States.

undergrain1 wrote:which country would you rather commit crime in?

Funny thing about this question is, that it can be interpreted in two ways:
1. If you were a criminal, where you would rather commit your crimes?
2. In which country would you be more likely to become a criminal?

Just some food for thought.

I thought about it and that tells me that I don't need to own a gun in Canada and I do in the United States.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

bbjohn

Postby bbjohn » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:56 pm

I thought I'd finally get my two cents worth in on this.

I'm convinced that the most important thing which will determine how a gun is used is the attitude of the person who has it.

I've lived in rural areas where almost every home had guns of some sort. There was little crime. Why? Well, everyone knew each other, so you really couldn't get away with it. More important, however, was the attitude. They respected guns, and understood they were dangerous even as they used them to hunt or engage in shooting sports. They knew the damage they could do if they were misused. They respected life, and they would never shoot another person except as a defensive act.

On the other hand, what if you see a gun as a means of obtaining power for yourself? What if you don't care about anyone except yourself? Those are the ones who use guns for criminal activity. Criminal acts are all about power: the power to obtain something for oneself; the power to control others; and giving yourself the power to do whatever you want.

The jails are full of people who see guns as a means to power.

In their 1997 book, "The 15 Biggest Lies in Politics," Major Garrett and Tim Penny examined gun control as one of the many issues they looked at. They found, based on the statistics available, communities which had strict gun control laws did not have lower crime rates than those that did not have these laws. As for "right to carry" laws, they found many of those communities had lower rates of violent crime, but also higher rates of property crimes. Clearly, the crooks were changing tactics.

Garrett and Penny's ultimate finding, however, was gun laws did not affect crime rates as much as "criminal control;" that, is, putting career criminals behind bars for much longer periods of time. They found most crimes are committed by a small number of people, and getting those people off the streets was the quickest way to reduce crime.

Here's one more point to consider: the majority of gun deaths in this country are suicides. This would suggest that a major portion of our gun violence is related to mental health issues.

Just my two cents worth.

Big Bad John

Robert
Producer

Postby Robert » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:17 am

bbjohn wrote: This would suggest that a major portion of our gun violence is related to mental health issues.

Big Bad John

Agreed!!

Robert

Return to “Off Topic”