SUV's Rouge or Tucson

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Gitget

SUV's Rouge or Tucson

Postby Gitget » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:21 pm

Anybody own an SUV that could give me any useful information to purchase one or lease.
Right now I'm leaning to the Nissan Rouge or Hyundai Tucson.
Nissan is willing to deal. Seems like Tucson is in short supply and its more or less take it or leave it.
Need AWD... winters here aren't to good and now the summers are flooding.

Purchase priceing or lease terms would help too.

Thanks

TK421

Re: SUV's Rouge or Tucson

Postby TK421 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Tucson, Great machines, solid engines, good MPG and well, it's a Hyandai. Also from my experience as a 12 volt installer, you can put anything in a Tucson easily with very little to no mods such as a remote start, GPS navigation, alarms, and such and because you are leasing these things can easily be put back to stock when you trade her in. Nissans on the other hand are rather fickle. Also the Tucson is cheaper is it not?
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:12 pm

Gitget wrote:Seems like Tucson is in short supply and its more or less take it or leave it.

You will find this alot. Hyandai/Kia over all has become a force to be reckon with. They make great machines for the everyday vehicle and their pricepoint is virtually unmatched. As a result a Sante Fe with good milage and clean record will have a very short life on the dealer's lot because customers immediately go for them. Dealers know this and will ask top dollar if they feel they can get it and your best negotiation tool will be other dealers or KBB. If you feel the pric you offered is the best choice to go with, stick by your guns and don't fold. The dealer wants to make that sale just as much as you want the vehicle. Also try to eliminate luxury items like Nav, Heated leather, Prem sound pkg, ect. These only add to your monthly payment and if you were to do the math you would find it cheaper to add these things in aftermarket trough a reputable auto accessories shop
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

MuddyEddie

Postby MuddyEddie » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:22 pm

I drive a 2005 Kia Sorento with over 162,000 miles on it! It's just now starting to show it's age with a small oil leak!

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:54 pm

I'm not a big "buy American" type. Especially since "buy American" is kind of confusing since the Nissan you mention is actually majority owned by Renault of France and built in Smyrna, Tennessee. Having said that Idrove a '98 Ford Ranger for 240,000 miles and it still runs very well. So well in fact that when I bought a 2010 Ford Ranger to replace it I retired the old one to Camp MPV where it does duty as one of the camp vehicles every day. Point is that as long as you take proper care of most any modern automobile it will serve you well. There are some exceptions of course but if I were you I'd pick the one with the features I wanted at the price I could pay and let that decide for me. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:40 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:I'm not a big "buy American" type. Especially since "buy American" is kind of confusing since the Nissan you mention is actually majority owned by Renault of France and built in Smyrna, Tennessee. Having said that Idrove a '98 Ford Ranger for 240,000 miles and it still runs very well. So well in fact that when I bought a 2010 Ford Ranger to replace it I retired the old one to Camp MPV where it does duty as one of the camp vehicles every day. Point is that as long as you take proper care of most any modern automobile it will serve you well. There are some exceptions of course but if I were you I'd pick the one with the features I wanted at the price I could pay and let that decide for me. 8-)

pfft, you pretty much said it with the model. The Ford Ranger direction is pretty much what it looks like. It is your stripped down truck meant for one sole purpose, to be used as a truck. :) It is pretty much the very same reason those same vehicles have been used in every truck leasing company from Uhaul to Budget. Only other small P/u I would consider would be the Nissan Frontier. Even on a wiring standpoint that truck is striaght forward even by today's standards (Don't get me started on the electrical nightmare of GM's competition, the Canyon or Colorado lol) Solid but as you said, only as well as you maintain her.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:01 am

Why buy what's basically an oversized dumpy car when you could own something sportier?

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impreza/index.html (Click on the "Outback Sport" model tab about dead center in the page).

Owned a '97 before I bought my Jeep. Nice ride, excellent corner carving performance (for the price at least), and I'm convinced that that car was infused with snowmobile DNA at some point in it's construction.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:00 am

TK421 wrote:pfft, you pretty much said it with the model. The Ford Ranger direction is pretty much what it looks like. It is your stripped down truck meant for one sole purpose, to be used as a truck. :) ... Even on a wiring standpoint that truck is striaght forward even by today's standards (... only as well as you maintain her.

Exactly. It runs and it's easy to pay for. I love the review on the Ranger in Edmunds Vehicle Guide. They said that only two things will never go extinct - roaches and Rangers because they are both too simple to kill. I'm inclined to agree but Ford is ending the Ranger after this model year so we'll see how long this one lasts. Instead of a 2.5L four cylinder the new one I bought has a 4.0L V-6, automatic, and a few creature comforts. The engine is made in Germany and the transmission is made in France. Think of the jokes you can make out of that. Anyhow that's a substantial V-6 in a small truck so it will tow a useful load and has good power. Ford was giving big factory money on them so I got a good deal. Hopefully this one will last twelve or thirteen years as well. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:21 am

Mynock wrote:Why buy what's basically an oversized dumpy car when you could own something sportier?

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impreza/index.html (Click on the "Outback Sport" model tab about dead center in the page).

Owned a '97 before I bought my Jeep. Nice ride, excellent corner carving performance (for the price at least), and I'm convinced that that car was infused with snowmobile DNA at some point in it's construction.

eh, I have always had a love/hate relationship with subaru. Don't get me wrong, I like them. They trump any "Sports Wagon" in its class or price range that I have seen or driven aside the VW GTI or VW Passat wagon and even those guys have their issues. Again, simple wins it. They are relatively easy to maintain/work on, Parts are relatively easy to come by and the aftermarket support for those can only be rivaled by the big 3 overseas,Toyota, Honda and Nissan.

Now...That being said.... My peeve. Every, and I mean every freaking time I see those blasted things I think "Crocodile Dundee car" . Hahaha Also, the Tucson is framed alot differently than the Outback and much more like an SUV so as a result there is more headroom which is ussually the biggest complaint I hear about those from people with more than just 1 or 2 kids, which is why I am guessing they are inquiring on either a Rouge or Tucson. You are not gonna stuff 3 kids in the back, all your camping gear and and still have room for a few extras in an Outback, not comfortably at least. Now for the 2 kids and a dog, or traveling/commuting young couple, people seem to be very happy with Outbacks and I do like their all wheel drive train and of course because its a smaller chassis, it's a lil easier on gas. You are not going to find a cooler looking (or better performing) station wagon imo
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:03 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:
TK421 wrote:pfft, you pretty much said it with the model. The Ford Ranger direction is pretty much what it looks like. It is your stripped down truck meant for one sole purpose, to be used as a truck. :) ... Even on a wiring standpoint that truck is striaght forward even by today's standards (... only as well as you maintain her.

Exactly. It runs and it's easy to pay for. I love the review on the Ranger in Edmunds Vehicle Guide. They said that only two things will never go extinct - roaches and Rangers because they are both too simple to kill. I'm inclined to agree but Ford is ending the Ranger after this model year so we'll see how long this one lasts. Instead of a 2.5L four cylinder the new one I bought has a 4.0L V-6, automatic, and a few creature comforts. The engine is made in Germany and the transmission is made in France. Think of the jokes you can make out of that. Anyhow that's a substantial V-6 in a small truck so it will tow a useful load and has good power. Ford was giving big factory money on them so I got a good deal. Hopefully this one will last twelve or thirteen years as well. 8-)

Yeah, not too many are pleased with the choice to discontinue the line. I know I am not, especially when you consider the monstrosities they brought back *Cough cough Fiesta cough Taurus cough*. Not sure why either. It sure wasn't sales. Only reason I can think of is to boost the F series line up or to drive more rev into their compact car sales. Sigh, pity. Whenever I got one of those trucks in my bay I smiled because I knew it was gonna be a good day, and by good day, I mean an easy Remote Start install with no programming issues and the customer will be happy not waiting 3-4 gut wrenching hours in the shop for it ;). Without getting into import faves like Kia or Hyandai, you really do not find an easier or predictable vehicle to work on.

You will like it. I don't have figures as far as any major service bulletins or updates but seeing how I install a good majority of aftermarket parts in these vehicles, if I don't have any, it's a good thing :) I have since worked on at least a few dozen or so 2008-2010 and every customer seems to like them (One being a person like yourself who has owned 2 and still has one dedicated as a part runner vehicle at his shop, the second he gave to his son). I guess from what everyone has said so far, that 4.0 as big as it is for a v6 is pretty efficiant and shoudln't hurt the gas bill too much but you will feel the power when passing or when you need it ;)
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.

Return to “Off Topic”