The Death has been Announced

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

The Death has been Announced

Postby Lomax » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:29 am

of Henry Allingham, the world's oldest man, aged 113. He was Britain's last but one surviving WW1 veteran, having served in the navy at Jutland, before transferring to the RAF on its creation in 1918. He also lived long enough to become a great-great-great grandfather.

Britain's last WW1 veteran is thus Harry Patch - 110, I think.

I recall reading a couple of years ago that America's last WW1 veteran had just won the right to be buried in Arlington Cemetary. Anyone know if he's exercised this right yet?
Last edited by Lomax on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

Nessie
Producer

Re: The Death has been Announced

Postby Nessie » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:25 am

Wow. I bet that when he was in the war, he never even thought about being 113 years old some day.

I'm not sure if we should mourn his passing or be happy for his longevity. At any rate, rest in peace, Mr. Allingham.

Nessie

schlamm

Postby schlamm » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:32 pm

Last edited by schlamm on Sun May 12, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

Re: The Death has been Announced

Postby Lomax » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:47 pm

schlamm wrote:And now Mr. Patch (the last WW I veteran remaining in the UK) has passed as well at age 111 on 25 July 2009 according to the BBC

Indeed he has. I wonder if he was just waiting to outlive Henry Allingham.

I believe there is a 108-year-old Australian veteran still living. Quite a thought - something approaching a hundred million men went to war, now there's one left.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

Return to “Off Topic”