Your signatures

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

Re: Your signatures

Postby Lomax » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:12 pm

I can't remember where I heard this quote, but I think it's profoundly true.

Back on (ahem) another site I used, "A man said to the Universe, 'Sir, I exist.' 'However,' replied the Universe, 'the fact does not create in me a sense of obligation.'" This is a quote from Stephen Crane, and appeals to my depressive nature.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

Qsvgitguy
Always Remembered

Postby Qsvgitguy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Lomax wrote:I can't remember where I heard this quote, but I think it's profoundly true.

Back on (ahem) another site I used, "A man said to the Universe, 'Sir, I exist.' 'However,' replied the Universe, 'the fact does not create in me a sense of obligation.'" This is a quote from Stephen Crane, and appeals to my depressive nature.

One place I heard that quote is in Carl Sagan's Cosmos series. It was the first line in the episode where Dr. Sagan talked about how the chemical elements were created in the stars. The episode starts off with a green apple that looks like a planet, but is then turned into an apple pie in the kitchen of Cambridge University in England, where the nature of atoms was first begun to be understood.

Another good line of his is...

"We are Star Stuff. We are the universe, made conscious, trying to understand itself." :ugeek:

By the way, my signature is just a link to my novel.

Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

Postby Lomax » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:39 pm

Qsvgitguy wrote:One place I heard that quote is in Carl Sagan's Cosmos series. It was the first line in the episode where Dr. Sagan talked about how the chemical elements were created in the stars. The episode starts off with a green apple that looks like a planet, but is then turned into an apple pie in the kitchen of Cambridge University in England, where the nature of atoms was first begun to be understood.

Thank-you. Even if it isn't a Sagan quote, it sounds as though it ought to be, which is close enough for me.

Another good line of his is...

"We are Star Stuff. We are the universe, made conscious, trying to understand itself."

We are stardust, we are golden....

No, that's something else entirely....
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:42 am

{Darth Vader voice} Most impressive. . .

Acidtester wrote:mine will probably make sense only to people who would appreciate it
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:01 am

For my signature, I took René Descartes' quote "I think, therefore I am", and twisted the words to "I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!". 8-)
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

auroraman

Postby auroraman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:42 am

Mine's from The hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy, for the description of Earth. I like to think it applies to myself.
Mostly harmless...

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:39 pm

New one for me, from STP this time. I like that song.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

EVysther

Postby EVysther » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:47 pm

My quote is by Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda...

Most of 2008, I used a couple of quotes from Doctor Who - one came form the TV show - "The bravery of idiots is bravery nonetheless!" - sounded like a day at the office to me! :? - in a story called The Sontaran Stratagem...the other was from an audio play, can't remember the title, but it went like: "Great health to you and may your enemies contract painful bowel diseases!" - that one really tickled me! :lol:

I used a quote or two from Heath Ledger's Joker in Dark Knight, but EVERYONE was doing that, so I promptly got rid of it!

Considering Lisa & my personal circumstances as of late, I find my current quote to be the most appropriate, especially in regards to her father and his declining health...
Eric Vysther

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery -
today is a gift...that's why it's called the present!
"

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:54 pm

My signature caused quite a discussion here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=150 :)
(the origin and the meaning are explained there, though I believe many many people know that beautiful song, so that no explanation is necessary)
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

cerberus

Postby cerberus » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:20 pm

My signature is is from a Johnny Dowd song ("Thanksgiving Day" from "Wrong Side of Memphis"), most of the people I quote this line to find it somewhat disturbing or depressing. Strangely, I find it reassuring and comforting, guess I'm wierd. If you haven't heard any of Jonny Dowd's material, be warned, it's not for the faint-hearted. His songs deal with the seamier downmarket side of life, with a directness and lack of romanticism that most find disturbing. Personally, I find the irony and dark humour of his lyrics brilliant. A few more lines from his songs:

"Time don't walk, it flies!" (From a song called "House of Pain" on an album called "Cruel Words". You should be beginning to get the idea now).

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die."

"I've got reckless eyeballs. I've got a suicidal heart. I've got a robot girlfriend tearin' me apart. I'm an average guy, I don't mean anybody any harm."

My previous signature on this forum was a "life law" from Agnes Allen "Almost everything is easier to get into than out of". I always thought this could be a good motto for this forum.

Finally a signature I used for a while on DS was "Remember, if it feels like you're crusing, it means you're going downhill!" This I found comforting at times when it seemed "there weren't enough hours in the day and that I was getting too old for rushing around like this."
Cerberus

Johnny Dowd: Be content with your life. It may not get any better!

Return to “Off Topic”