Some Shipping News

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
kham
Always Remembered

Some Shipping News

Postby kham » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Rather than necro the dusty thread, figured be easier to start a new one

The Algoport, the ship that appears in a couple of the weather shots there, broke in half and sank while under tow to China for rebuilding with a new forebody. The tug Atlantic Hickory cut the tow line and apparently there were no casualties. Her last known position was 19 57 N , 139 41 E roughly 485 miles NW of Guam, in about five thousand metres of water

At the moment, it's unclear what this will do for the forebody that was to be attached; I suspect it will depend on the insurance money, but likely they just build a brand new ass end for the entire boat now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duncan Edwards

Re: Some Shipping News

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:33 am

Wow...

I knew she had some age on her. Do you think the hull failed because of age, a bad tow, or maybe just the pounding she took at sea? Either way I'm glad you you weren't aboard. Let us know what your next ride on the Great Lakes looks like when you can. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am

Wow.

Sorry to disappoint you if you were planning to recruit me to do the whole "Mary Ellen Carter" thing, but five clicks of water is serious business. ;)

kham wrote:Rather than necro the dusty thread, figured be easier to start a new one

The Algoport, the ship that appears in a couple of the weather shots there, broke in half and sank while under tow to China for rebuilding with a new forebody. The tug Atlantic Hickory cut the tow line and apparently there were no casualties. Her last known position was 19 57 N , 139 41 E roughly 485 miles NW of Guam, in about five thousand metres of water

At the moment, it's unclear what this will do for the forebody that was to be attached; I suspect it will depend on the insurance money, but likely they just build a brand new ass end for the entire boat now.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:48 am

Right now, it's anyones guess what the sequence of events was, but what I have is they did encounter heavy seas from a tropical storm. How big is an open question, plus everyone is wondering if the tug got any shots of the breakup and sinking. Given what I know , and depending on how fast she went down, I got a feeling the after section wont be looking too pretty, likely suffering massive implosion damage and then hitting the bottom, be a lot like the Titanic's stern. And thats before the downblast hits it. The Bow might be in better shape, could have wifferdilled off a ways and prob was completely flooded ; still its a long way to fall.

Have to get the Sea Hunters to look into this, maybe for a couple seasons in the future :P

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:19 pm

My guess is the warranty must have expired recently..... ;)

Still, in all seriousness, food for thought... a good thing she wasn't out working on the lakes during those November gales... that could have proven tragic.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:39 am

Good thing nobody was on board. 5000 ft of water.....that suckers gone man. The Titanic is a really good comparison.
I can hear the first officer now.."Hey Captain, is it just me, or was that boat a lot longer when we started towing it?"
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Boppinabe

Postby Boppinabe » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:30 am

Mynock wrote:Good thing nobody was on board. 5000 ft of water.....that suckers gone man. The Titanic is a really good comparison.
I can hear the first officer now.."Hey Captain, is it just me, or was that boat a lot longer when we started towing it?"

Five thousand meters of water...even worse.

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:59 am

I remember reading something about a "Lloyd's Inspection" at one time. Basically, at a certain point in the ship's life cycle, to continue the insurance you have to do such a complete inspection that it's "nearly as much trouble as building a new ship, and you're left with an old ship afterwards." Supposedly it was easier to stage an "accident" and collect the insurance money.

kham wrote:Right now, it's anyones guess what the sequence of events was, but what I have is they did encounter heavy seas from a tropical storm. How big is an open question, plus everyone is wondering if the tug got any shots of the breakup and sinking. Given what I know , and depending on how fast she went down, I got a feeling the after section wont be looking too pretty, likely suffering massive implosion damage and then hitting the bottom, be a lot like the Titanic's stern. And thats before the downblast hits it. The Bow might be in better shape, could have wifferdilled off a ways and prob was completely flooded ; still its a long way to fall.

Have to get the Sea Hunters to look into this, maybe for a couple seasons in the future :P
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

undergrain1

Postby undergrain1 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:21 am

So they change the registry to Liberia or some other flag of convenience.

I honestly think marine law should be overhauled. A ship's registry should, by law, be either its prime port (by volume/value of commerce it does at the port) or the second, as long as the second has at least 50% as much business transaction value/volume as its prime port.

A lot of Liberian and Panamanian registrations would be voided because those countries can't account for so much business.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:39 am

Boppinabe wrote:Five thousand meters of water...even worse.

Ooops. Yea....5000 meters is a bit worse. Haha
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Return to “Off Topic”