Nasty malware attack

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
nachtjaeger

Re: Nasty malware attack

Postby nachtjaeger » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:00 am

No no no! You NEVER eat 'long pig' raw- they have too many nasty diseases. I suggest roasting the heart in a nice hot fire on the tip of a sword. :twisted:

And do you know hard it is to clean a chainsaw after butchering something with it? We have lots and lots of sharp pointy things here. I'm thinking that Weredragonlady's 12" kitchen knife made from a bandsaw blade, with the saw teeth on the back edge, would be about right.

SmileyMcDeath wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:It's not the most elegant fix but its effective against this -

Go here and do what Bill Gates tells you. Run the full scan -

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/defa ... ?s_cid=sah

I swear if I ever catch the people who propagate such things I will shoot them right between the eyes, twice, with a smile on my face.

No, I'm not kidding.

In the last week, I've had to help de-pest six peoples' computers infected with a variation of this little nasty. I'll join you. If i find the fucker who first originated the scam, I'll cut open his chest and eat his fucking heart raw.

We'll have a party. I'll bring the chainsaw, you bring the beer.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

KavenBach

Postby KavenBach » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:23 am

Tango and Cash--- classic. Personally I'd suggest "Plan B" :twisted:

And is this a private party, or can anybody join in? Personally I'd like to see how a hay baler handles compacting a Spammer... :twisted:
"Of all the roads that lead to nowhere, I chose the longest one." -'Goober'

"Don't worry, I seem to have found an even longer one." -Me

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:09 am

Private party? Heck, let's make it an angry mob! Get yer torches an' pitchforks, right here!

A hay baler would be nasty. Why, it might not kill the spammer outright- just cause lots of painful injuries. Might take a long time to die wrapped up in that bale. . .

What is is we used to say at work? Brush chippers- useful for maintenance, storm cleanup, and solving those nagging personnel issues. :twisted:

KavenBach wrote:

Tango and Cash--- classic. Personally I'd suggest "Plan B" :twisted:

And is this a private party, or can anybody join in? Personally I'd like to see how a hay baler handles compacting a Spammer... :twisted:

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:44 am

nachtjaeger wrote:What is is we used to say at work? Brush chippers- useful for maintenance, storm cleanup, and solving those nagging personnel issues. :twisted:

I was just going to suggest using a chipper! :twisted:

Another suggestion would be to throw the spammer into "hell's quicksand", as I had described in this thread: :twisted:

Boggy Man wrote:Actually, hell's quicksand would consist of any number of things, ranging from molten lava to containing corrosive acid or strong caustic base that burns/eats away your flesh as you sink, to containing carnivorous worms or maggots or other things that burrow into you and eat you from the inside out, or have ants, cockroaches, beetles or other biting things that crawl over the surface to eat you from the top down when you are stuck, yellowjackets or other hornets stinging you all over while you are stuck, perhaps something larger beneath the surface that starts chewing on you, tearing away at your flesh and/or crunching on your bones from the bottom up as you sink, or just insert any other possible sinking nightmare here! :shock: :twisted:

---------------------------------------------------

Chimerix wrote:Feeling pretty smug right now, perched behind my trusty Mac!

I also feel that way! 8-) In fact, I am just on the verge of getting ready to install the new 32/64-bit (with much greater emphasis on 64-bit) OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard! :ugeek: But, I DO hear that there is some nasty stuff out there for Macs as well, but they are much fewer in number than for PC's.

For a few laughs, check out these TV ads:
HD version:
http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple ... 48x496.mov
http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple ... 48x496.mov

Medium version:
http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple ... 80x376.mov
http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple ... 80x376.mov

You can check out all of them here!

For security, I use a hardware firewall called Alpha Shield, which closes off all the ports except for the ones being used, and protecting and concealing the IP Address, making your computer invisible to the outside world! Nothing gets in unless the computer requests it! :D

Last edited by Boggy Man on Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:01 pm

When all else fails, a Hewlett-Packard PC has the Hewlett-Packard Recovery System. It's a second hard drive that's set up to wipe your main drive off and return it to its out-of-the-box, factory-made state.

I've never had anything nasty survive this. But all you get to keep are your data files. Like, if you make fakes with PhotoShop, the fake stays where you put it. But PhotoShop, since you installed it yourself, vanishes.

Not only that but you must re-set up your computer just as you did on the day you bought it.

I did it twice for me and I'm not sure how often for my (previous) boss, who also owned a Hewlett-Packard PC. He kept picking up crap while surfing and he believed that because you can copy data on CDs, all software should be given to you for free by your friends. This meant that while I had Norton at home, while on the job, HP Recovery was THE anti-malware system.

HP Recovery is a nighmarish job. Anybody got an extra club? Count me in on the mob.

Nessie

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:10 am

Yeah, its kind of like the benefit of being a country like Lichtenstein. You'd be easy to defeat but nobody will mess with you because you are irrelevant. Someday though, some little script monkey somewhere is going to get bored aggravating the adults and decide to pick on the little girls. It won't be pretty. :mrgreen:
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:39 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:

Yeah, its kind of like the benefit of being a country like Lichtenstein. You'd be easy to defeat but nobody will mess with you because you are irrelevant. Someday though, some little script monkey somewhere is going to get bored aggravating the adults and decide to pick on the little girls. It won't be pretty. :mrgreen:

I know, "safety through obscurity", but the operating system also has many security features built-in : http://www.apple.com/macosx/security/ 8-)
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:13 am

Update! Looks like it was an app in Facebook called "Fan Check". Apparently after 48 hours it attacks your PC. I hadn't used this app, so that's why this computer didn't get hit, but Weredragonlady's did. Suggest if you use Facebook, you go into "edit applications" and delete "Fan Check" if it's there. I went ahead and deleted all those silly apps like "send a smile" or "chug it!" that I wasn't using, just in case.

Conspiracy101

Postby Conspiracy101 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:43 am

Buyin a MacBook in the near future myself. i love my pc desktop to death, but i fear for its future stability.
"Some times fear has the appropriate response"

bbjohn

Postby bbjohn » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:13 am

I once had a spyware program which hijacked my home page. What did their message say? It said I needed their anti-spyware program to prevent home page hijackings!! When the mob does this sort of thing, it's called a shake-down racket. I had to reboot the machine to get rid of the program, which, I'll admit, was less than what many others have had to do.

I sometimes wonder if there's a computer lab somewhere where they create all these viruses and malware. Right next door is another lab where they dream up ways to stiff people who want to get the malware off their computers.

Shooting is too good for people who create this stuff. I say make them use slide-rules and rotary land-line phones, and make them do math problems in their heads. For geeks, that would be real torture.

Big Bad John

Return to “Off Topic”