Nasty malware attack

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
nachtjaeger

Re: Nasty malware attack

Postby nachtjaeger » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:24 pm

Like the urban legend about the tire shop owner down in Brooklyn who, when business was slow, hired a couple of street toughs to go out and slash tires? Nah, couldn't be. . .

bbjohn wrote:I once had a spyware program which hijacked my home page. What did their message say? It said I needed their anti-spyware program to prevent home page hijackings!! When the mob does this sort of thing, it's called a shake-down racket. I had to reboot the machine to get rid of the program, which, I'll admit, was less than what many others have had to do.

I sometimes wonder if there's a computer lab somewhere where they create all these viruses and malware. Right next door is another lab where they dream up ways to stiff people who want to get the malware off their computers.

Shooting is too good for people who create this stuff. I say make them use slide-rules and rotary land-line phones, and make them do math problems in their heads. For geeks, that would be real torture.

Big Bad John
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

reisen55

Postby reisen55 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:21 pm

An Excellent Malware Scanner - it's free by the way.

MalwareBytes AntiMalware. It has solved several nasty windows issues for me, inclusive of getting rid of Antivirus 360 and a horrid Windows LOGIN/LOGOUT/LOGIN/LOGOUT issue. Highly recommend it. Hey, I do this for a living too.

Nurse Krystal

Postby Nurse Krystal » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:13 am

I have gotten spyware like that before as well, it is not impossible to remove on your own, though certinally a pain in the a** to say the least. Biggest thing with these is NEVER shut down your computer when you get one, because frankly you never know if your OS will load ever again until your forced to completely blank your hard drive. Honestly I wish I was smarter back then and took notes on how I removed it, then I could say how I did it. But unfortunatly I didnt know the rule back then of take notes on every fix you do to your computer lol. Other then that Mcafee I feel is the best anti virus and spyware program out there, and will protect against and remove almost any spyware or virus.

But if you dont have protection, and you do get that, just stay calm, dont input any more information into your computer you feel is private, and work on destroying the coding in the spyware so it itself ceases to function, with Administrator permissions you should be able to screw up what the stupid 40 year old virgin guy who lives in his moms basement developed and once again possess freedom hehe. :roll:
"So wont ya tell me what freedom means, if I'm not free to be as twisted as I want to be."

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:47 am

Here we go again. This one is even worse- it has the whole computer locked up tight- only program that will run is IE. The computer won't even boot into safe mode. Killed AVG (again) and hijacked Windows Security Center (again). I think I need a new AV software provider.

I managed to kill the last one by killing the process in Task Manager and then very quickly renaming the file, but this one has fixed that little vulnerability- it has me locked out of Task Manager, too.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:05 am

Man that sucks. Where do you keep picking this stuff up (no for the love of god DON'T post a link :lol: )?!?!
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:28 am

I finally called in the Professionals at support.com - they do paid support for AVG. Apparently something my nephew downloaded back in 2005 or so left a backdoor, and somebody must have found it- I guess hackers scan the web for those sort of things. Anyway, somebody managed to get past the router, firewall and AV software and install multiple rootkits. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit The nasty stuff was buried so deep and hidden so well that neither Avast! (my old AV software) or AVG (my current AV software) could find it. Believe it or not, it's still not fixed- I thought I was getting robbed paying $130 for support, but with the hours they have put in on this one they aren't making any money. Last time I looked, the techs were using Malwarebytes, GMER and the pro version of AVG all at once.

Damn, that kid moved out the last time in 2005, and that family is still costing me money. :evil: Between the whole clan, they owe us about six grand and a working vehicle. Then again, I did get to see his girlfriend chasing frogs in the swamps out back wearing a tight t-shirt and a long velour skirt, so I guess I should knock a day's pay for a QS model off the total.

Mynock wrote:Man that sucks. Where do you keep picking this stuff up (no for the love of god DON'T post a link :lol: )?!?!

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:06 am

Fixed at last!!!!! :D :D :D

Return to “Off Topic”