Thought I'd try my hand at drawing real quick

Hand-drawn or CGI. If you started with a blank screen or sheet of paper, it's cool to post it here! Please note - this forum is for posting drawings, not links to external sites.
xyl

Re: Thought I'd try my hand at drawing real quick

Postby xyl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:47 pm

Aiko wrote:These are Katakana characters, which are commonly used for foreign (ie. non-Japanese) words and names. The three characters in the upper left are RA-U-RA, which is obviously "Laura".
The rest reads SU-PU-RU-RO-WA, and I am not sure what to make of that. Note that any R may actually be transcribed as an L and that U may not be pronounced at all (and thus omitted).

Anyway, the signature is hers. Though that does not prove anything much, other than Laura claimed these to be her own drawings.

Seems awfully convenient for a signature giving credit to Laura to be cropped out of the camera-shot image. Also seems convenient that benmetal would have let her post it with her signature on it in the first place, as well as possibly two others, if they weren't actually hers. Point is, I'm not buying it.

Thanks for the translation.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:48 am

This is mighty interesting.

I have a great deal of experience with Adobe Photoshop, scanners, retouching and art itself. So here goes.

Close comparison of the two drawings says, to me, that Benmetal's version has more detail than Laura's. The one thing that stands out to me is a faint line where the continuation of her back (now beneath the quicksand) was drawn and then probably erased. There also appears to be paper texture and even faint creases in the photograph, and a few places where the lines are longer (which would make sense, since the scan that was previously posted had the contrast pumped up considerably).

As for the signature, it proves nothing whatsoever. Considering the high contrast in the original post (only white surrounds the signature) adding that is very, very easy. It's "copy" and then "paste", or, even less technically, laying it next to the drawing on the scanner and then erasing any lines that show up.

I'd bet my bog that Benmetal owns that original. By golly, it sure looks he took a snapshot of a real drawing to me, anyway. It'd be much harder...much harder...to turn her version into his version (add paper texture and subtly increase detail) than it would be to turn his into hers (just hit the contrast control, then copy and paste a signature on the side).

So...Ben...

In the name of all those people who loved Laura and believed in her, and us females who struggled with proving our own credibility, I really think that folks here would appreciate an explanation. Not necessarily anything that is too detailed, and please don't do anything to violate your ex's privacy. But...a simple paragraph of the plain and unvarnished truth, with no attempt to make anybody look better than they are, would be nice.

I got a feeling that it will turn out to be something that I will not find hard to believe.

Nessie

P.S. It is a good drawing. You have talent.

xyl

Postby xyl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:31 am

Oh no, I have no doubt that it's not a copy of the original, Nessie. But he could have just taken Laura's scrapbook. But yes, Photoshop is a distinct possibility; this is why I didn't definitively say he stole it. But when he lied about not making the sketch just now, and when the part of the image where the signature would go is cropped out...well, it doesn't help his case.

However, looking closer at Laura's old photos, Photoshop may actually be the key here. Look at Doro no Shuujin (the first one she posted) in color and in black and white. The signature is slightly off but the original picture isn't at all. If that signature was in the original, it shouldn't move. I'm attaching them so those who haven't seen the images can see. (I think they are still on DS anyway)

But nevertheless, I agree with what you said. An explanation would be in order.

2ndDorokage

Postby 2ndDorokage » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:17 am

xyl wrote:/Unlurk

I'm not sure I believe you. Each drawing that Laura posted had the same signature written in Japanese. So either Laura was lying and can't actually draw, and was also lying about being voted the most talented artist in her high school, or you're lying and took her sketchbook when you broke up with her. Either one seems to explain why she doesn't post anymore and wanted her account deleted; if she couldn't actually draw then she was stealing your material. If she could draw and you were her old boyfriend and knew about her fetish and deepsinking, then I could just see the potential angry posts. I lean toward Laura actually being the artist because there was no reason for you to lie about not sketching it real quick.

I've attached the original piece, the Japanese signature clearly shown. Can anyone read it to see if it actually contains a real name?

/Lurk

You have much talent at this. i believe you had a good first try. :)
The Leader of the Village Hidden in the Mud.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:57 am

xyl wrote:The signature is slightly off but the original picture isn't at all. If that signature was in the original, it shouldn't move. I'm attaching them so those who haven't seen the images can see.

I dropped the line drawing on top of the color version and ghosted it and you are correct...but there was a lot of work done on this. Probably, everything but the signature was in layers and there was an accidental nudge somewhere during the retouching. Either the signature moved, or the rest of it (as a group of layers) moved. I'm sure that whoever worked on it didn't even notice.

(And I can't remember who that was. Do you?)

That's unrelated to what I notice about the other picture, though. Actually, all we know for sure is, one version has a signature and one doesn't. It would take almost no knowledge at all to crop it off. And only a little more to add it in. There is so much white space in the scan that a little kid could do it.

No, I don't know which way it really happened.

Yes, an explanation is in order.

Nessie

xyl

Postby xyl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:55 pm

The person who did the color version was supposedly Laura, Nessie.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:52 am

The signature from the file "old.jpg" and the signature on both Doro drawings are in fact the same. They're identical, pixel to pixel.

Nessie

MadMax359

Postby MadMax359 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:02 pm

xyl wrote:However, looking closer at Laura's old photos, Photoshop may actually be the key here. Look at Doro no Shuujin (the first one she posted) in color and in black and white. The signature is slightly off but the original picture isn't at all. If that signature was in the original, it shouldn't move. I'm attaching them so those who haven't seen the images can see. (I think they are still on DS anyway)

maybe i saw them before, but i'm thrilled you posted them here.... this thread is having unexpected benefits! :twisted:
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

Anna_Sinks

Postby Anna_Sinks » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:18 am

I had a thought. IF he did draw the orginal art. Why does he not just draw a NEW picture thats the same style as the old pic as well as the signature? If he is indeed telling the truth that he is the orginal artist he should be able to keep to the style of the orignal. If he is in fact making up stories he will be unable to do the task. Thus not telling the truth about drawing said pictures.

There just thought.
Peace out!
"The truth shall set you free, and make you insane all at the same time!"
http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:26 am

Mez_Man wrote:Why does he not just draw a NEW picture thats the same style as the old pic as well as the signature?

Because if he is in fact telling the truth, and he posted this in a moment of genuine forgetfulness, things will look even worse than they do now.

At this point, I don't think we'll be told anything more.

Nessie

Return to “Drawings”