One more girl got stuck in mud

Hand-drawn or CGI. If you started with a blank screen or sheet of paper, it's cool to post it here! Please note - this forum is for posting drawings, not links to external sites.
wackypackcolonel

Re: One more girl got stuck in mud

Postby wackypackcolonel » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:31 pm

We are our own worse critics. It's the only way to keep growing and getting better at what we envision. I know how you feel but I have to say I really do enjoy your piece and I'm not just saying that to be nice. There's a distinct direction to what you're trying to accomplish and it's getting better. I could use more of that gumption myself.

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Thank you, wackypackcolonel! You are quite right.

In general, I'm quite unhappy with three things.
  1. My drawings take me too much time
  2. The result is rather unpredictable
  3. To achieve a satisfactory result I often have to return to previous stages and make corrections (recompose the sketch, change the lines, etc.)
In particular, this picture was not successful in all the three items.

On a positive note, it was "favorited" on DeviantArt by some artists whose attention is a honor to me. Maybe, the picture is not that bad as I thought. 8-)
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:45 pm

Well, sometime good things take time, and the results of each attempt to get it right yields something close, but you know it ain't quite there yet.

Got a drawing I'm messing with. Each time I think I'm done with it, I know something is missing. When I go back to play with it some more, I know I risk completely ruining it and have to start over... which I have. But, sometimes that little bit extra to get it right produces some amazing results.

wackypackcolonel

Postby wackypackcolonel » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:44 pm

One trick I use on the computer all the time is before undertaking a risky move that might ruin a piece duplicate and save your art that way if failure happens, which trust me it does, you have that fall back point to start over.

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:36 pm

Yes, I also do it sometimes. That's why I prefer digital work. If only you don't forget to make a backup, you always can undo the wrong move.
So many different suns

IcarusJ

Postby IcarusJ » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:32 am

The mud looks fantastic, the pose is great, your lighting is much better than I can do, and that faint reflection of her in the mud is a nice touch.

You seem open to critique so I have noticed a few things. Her midsection is a little long. Also It looks like you erased parts of the line defining her right butt cheek and it makes her spine blend into the right cheek so it appears as if it terminates early and out of line. If you use the colour and shading to create a harder edge between the cheek and back then the spine should return to appearing in line with the butt crack without you having to re-include the line.

Seriously though, great job.

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:33 am

wackypackcolonel wrote:One trick I use on the computer all the time is before undertaking a risky move that might ruin a piece duplicate and save your art that way if failure happens, which trust me it does, you have that fall back point to start over.

Works great for digital art, but not so for pencil and paper, which is my preferred method. For me it's erase, adjust, erase, adjust. Erase one time too many and the paper is too chewed up to draw on, so ya gotta start with a fresh sheet. But, that's part of the fun as well, as you learn from the first failed attempt and try not to make the mistake the second time around. Sometimes I still do, though.

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:45 pm

IcarusJ wrote:You seem open to critique so I have noticed a few things. Her midsection is a little long. Also It looks like you erased parts of the line defining her right butt cheek and it makes her spine blend into the right cheek so it appears as if it terminates early and out of line. If you use the colour and shading to create a harder edge between the cheek and back then the spine should return to appearing in line with the butt crack without you having to re-include the line.
Thank you! I try to learn from my mistakes as much as I can, so I appreciate your critique very much!

I have to use reference pictures more often.
So many different suns

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:26 pm

I love it. My first glance generated some pretty carnal thoughts but by the time my gaze got to her face things had changed. In my mind she was running from something and stumbled. Her next move will be to attempt to stand after which she will sink very deep, just beyond the reach of whatever is chasing her. It's a wonderful cliff-hanger with a level of eroticism that fits this group well.

Thanks for taking the time Billy. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Weapon X

Postby Weapon X » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Billie Bonce wrote:
On a positive note, it was "favorited" on DeviantArt by some artists whose attention is a honor to me. Maybe, the picture is not that bad as I thought. 8-)

One of those artists was me, Billie (Spiderdude1976). I have finally started using my DA account to post my photography, and love this picture of yours. I appreciate your comment back on DA, as well!

Return to “Drawings”