The Art of Sinking (Updated 5/15/2022)

Hand-drawn or CGI. If you started with a blank screen or sheet of paper, it's cool to post it here! Please note - this forum is for posting drawings, not links to external sites.
sixgunzloaded

Re: The Art of Sinking (Updated 3/7/2022)

Postby sixgunzloaded » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:51 pm

A series perhaps..????? :D :D :D These are awesome! Here's hoping!
How long did Tarzan watch before deciding to save Jill..?

AWSands21

Postby AWSands21 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:58 pm

sixgunzloaded wrote:A series perhaps..????? :D :D :D These are awesome! Here's hoping!

Yep! There should be another five or six pages coming.
In the end, they all sink.

AWSands21

Postby AWSands21 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:14 pm

Sinking Safari (Page 3)

Sinking Safari (Page 3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sand

Postby Sand » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:35 am

AWSands21 wrote:
sixgunzloaded wrote:A series perhaps..????? :D :D :D These are awesome! Here's hoping!

Yep! There should be another five or six pages coming.

Oh nice! We’re looking forward it.

redjak6t4

Re: The Art of Sinking (Updated 3/9/2022)

Postby redjak6t4 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:58 am

This is shaping up nicely, AW. :D

Btw, I'm also impressed with the background imagery. What is it, a mix of CGI for the foreground and then defocused trees on top of a cloudscape? Three layers, perhaps? Your own work or acquired elsewhere?

Umm... if you don't want to give away your trade secrets, that's fine. I'm curious... and always on the lookout for useful backgrounds, if truth be told.

Thanks.

Redjak.

AWSands21

Postby AWSands21 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:12 pm

redjak6t4 wrote:This is shaping up nicely, AW. :D

Btw, I'm also impressed with the background imagery. What is it, a mix of CGI for the foreground and then defocused trees on top of a cloudscape? Three layers, perhaps? Your own work or acquired elsewhere?

Umm... if you don't want to give away your trade secrets, that's fine. I'm curious... and always on the lookout for useful backgrounds, if truth be told.

Thanks.

Redjak.

I did the clouds, grass, and brush with a few premade brushes I've collected over the years. The grass itself is two or three layers. The trees in the back are 3D models which I color-corrected and blurred for that depth-of-field effect. No photo backgrounds involved (they tend to look weird with my art style), and a lot less work than drawing it all by hand.

AWSands21

Postby AWSands21 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:27 pm

Sinking Safari (Page 4)

Sinking Safari (Page 4).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sixgunzloaded

Re: The Art of Sinking (Updated 3/10/2022)

Postby sixgunzloaded » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:43 pm

Delicious! Excellent combining of the cg elements with your hand drawing. They really match up well. I didn't even notice that the background was digital at first until redjack mentioned it. lol Well done! :D
How long did Tarzan watch before deciding to save Jill..?

redjak6t4

Postby redjak6t4 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:23 pm

AWSands21 wrote:
redjak6t4 wrote:This is shaping up nicely, AW. :D

Thanks.

Redjak.

I did the clouds, grass, and brush with a few premade brushes I've collected over the years. The grass itself is two or three layers. The trees in the back are 3D models which I color-corrected and blurred for that depth-of-field effect. No photo backgrounds involved (they tend to look weird with my art style), and a lot less work than drawing it all by hand.

Thanks for the info, AW.

I've made just one tentative step towards using depth-of-field effects, blurring and softening a 'Danger - Quicksand!' sign to make it look as if it was some distance in the background. But using 3D models and adjusting them as you describe is something I must try my hand at. Thanks for the interesting idea.

All the best,

Redjak.

p.s.
I'm REALLY looking forwards to you living up to your motto (In the end, they all sink) in this sinking sequence. :twisted:

AWSands21

Re: The Art of Sinking (Updated 3/10/2022)

Postby AWSands21 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:13 am

sixgunzloaded wrote:Delicious! Excellent combining of the cg elements with your hand drawing. They really match up well. I didn't even notice that the background was digital at first until redjack mentioned it. lol Well done! :D

I had to try a few different combinations before I settled on this, but I think it works. Thanks! :)

Return to “Drawings”