Need advice on this pic

Hand-drawn or CGI. If you started with a blank screen or sheet of paper, it's cool to post it here! Please note - this forum is for posting drawings, not links to external sites.
Zoe Mal Doran

Need advice on this pic

Postby Zoe Mal Doran » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:37 pm

Ok, this one isn't exactly finished (and I made the mistake of starting the shading before I added any colour so finishing it with coloured pencils is unlikely to come out very well :oops: ).

I'm just wondering how much (if any) more background you guys think I should add to this in order to finish it and get it just right. Yeah, I'm being a perfectionist, but I really want this one to be good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stevensenechal

Re: Need advice on this pic

Postby stevensenechal » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:21 pm

The 'hot mud springs' could have some 'bubbles' bursting on the surface and steam rising from the pit. This would then explaing why 'kitty' looks so hhhhot! :oops:
Arrakis trains the faithful.

stevensenechal

Postby stevensenechal » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:23 pm

Here's a picture of some eyes as well. Notice how the eyes and retinas are round while the eye openings and lids are elliptical. The eyes are the 'windows to the soul' and it's a good starting point for any drawing. I always try to find reference material when drawing, it helps...Keep up the excellent work Zoe! You're on your way to quicksand stardom! :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stevensenechal on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zoe Mal Doran

Postby Zoe Mal Doran » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:10 pm

There are bubbles, but you kinda need to look closely for them as they're a lot more faint that the catgirl (their exact placement hasn't been finalised).
This certainly seems to be packed full of jam... and quicksand. Oh dear.

Mwam

Postby Mwam » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:09 pm

Zoe Mal Doran wrote:Ok, this one isn't exactly finished (and I made the mistake of starting the shading before I added any colour so finishing it with coloured pencils is unlikely to come out very well :oops: ).

I'm just wondering how much (if any) more background you guys think I should add to this in order to finish it and get it just right. Yeah, I'm being a perfectionist, but I really want this one to be good.

It's a good drawing Zoe. I think it need some small bushes or a tree on the background.

x42swamper

Postby x42swamper » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:04 am

Background is the ticket ;) maybe some Jungle Vines and tall vegitation behind the quicksand bog. And what makes it Errie is not knowing where the boundry line is. But if this is your first Drawing , it's an awsome first drawing. If you want to see me first drwaing let me know. I left the boundry out of the drawing. This is a great drawing and thanks for sharing your art :P

X42Swamper
As the path narrows you find yourself face to face with a dark towering Shadow. A shadow composed of all your doubts and fears. And he's well armed to defend the treasure.

DrKrazy

Postby DrKrazy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:15 am

practice practice practice. I dunno your style but if your looking for things to improve on Anatomy is the best place to start. I would suggest starting with an Artist you admire. And maybe mimic/learn how they draw features, Eyes, Lips, Mouths, etc... Although backgrounds are nice you'll want to focus on anatomy and expressions first then backgrounds.

Zoe Mal Doran

Postby Zoe Mal Doran » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks, guys :)

I've added a bit more to it today. It's still not done, and I'm not sure if what I have in mind for the background on the other side of her is going to work. I mean steam is kinda hard to depict in greyscale but I might make the left half of the background more hazy than the right as if steam is obscuring it a little... or something.

stevensenechal

Postby stevensenechal » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:52 pm

You're bubbles are really improving! Here's a pic of some mud bubbles, notice how they look like little whirlpools.The light source causes the 'whirlpools' to have much darker lines on the right side of each. DrKrazy is right, anotomy is a good place to start. Don't feel bad about using figures from comics and magazines as source material as long as you keep tracing to a minimum. The real danger in any artistic endeavor is pandering to the crowd or drawing simply to get acclaim. Fame can be like quicksand itself, you get stuck and will never improve and more mature audiences will get tired of trying to help someone year after year if they never improve. It's great that you put yourself out there and ask for advice. Keep it up Zoe!

stevensenechal

Postby stevensenechal » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:20 am

Google Images also has tons of backgrounds you may use as inspiration for drawings. Here's a nice jungle background just crying out for a pit of quicksand and a cat woman to play in it!

Return to “Drawings”