Adventures #20 & 21: The Last Two For 2009!

Put fingers to keyboard and make your fantasies come to life!
Boggy Man

Adventures #20 & 21: The Last Two For 2009!

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:41 am

Adv #20: Sinking Weather Returns, With A Photo Experiment!

After my last bikeride on Monday, August 31'st, the cooler weather moved in a few days later, and lasted for around a week, making me concerned about the loss of heat from the bogs and cleanup water, something that would be impossible to get back at this time. :? But, the unsettled weather did take care of the forest fire situation, and the annoying smoke was finally gone! :D I was hoping that warmer weather would return before Thursday, September 10'th, because it was the first day of HUNTING SEASON for people of all ages! :shock: But, as luck would have it, it stayed cold right up until the 9'th, with the sunshine not returning until the 10'th, for the first time in around a week! :( I didn't want to go into the mountains at that time, since there could be a rush of hunters of all ages into the mountains, who have been waiting many months to shoot at things! :shock: The weather was also just in the process of warming up, so I needed to wait a few days for the heat to build up, anyways (mostly the air, but the water/mud could still get a thin warm layer on top of the colder stuff). :? But, a few days later was the weekend, the FIRST hunting season weekend, when many people are off work, and therefore, there would definitely be much more hunting activity going on in the woods! :shock: So, I decided to wait until after that weekend, since the initial rush would be over. :roll:

On Saturday, September 12'th, I saw a water bomber fly overhead to a new fire to the north, possibly started by hunters, making me concerned about smoke spoiling the clear blue skies we finally started to get, and cooling the mud and cleanup water. :x But it was a small fire, and they likely put it out quickly, since I never heard anything about it on the news. :) On Sunday, September 13'th, it was a hotter day, but the skies were a milky blue from smoke from a different forest fire! :x It really concerned me, since I wanted maximum solar strength to heat the water and mud, since the days have been getting so much shorter and the sun getting lower in the sky.

I prepared for my bikeride Sunday night, hoping for clear skies and hot temperatures Monday, September 14'th. On that day, my parents were leaving to Kamloops for a bus tour the following day, heading to an air show in Reno, Nevada for a week. So, I had the house to myself, and if my cleanup wasn't complete from cleanup water being too cold and uncomfortable, there would be no one else at home to see me! :roll:

When I got up early on Monday, September 14'th, I was disappointed to see that while it was clear, there was a band of high clouds moving up from the south, which were going to filter the sun! :x So, I decided to postpone the bikeride and stay home, happy about the record heat that BC was experiencing! :D I got up on Tuesday, September 15'th, and it was once again clear, but once again, another band of high clouds were moving in from the southwest, and so I once again postponed my trip! :x I wanted nothing to reduce the intensity of the sun during my sinking, since at this time of the year, every BTU we could get from the sun was precious!

During my extended wait for my bikeride, I kept on trying to get my digital camera to work, but still to no avail. :( Some sort of mechanical malfunction in the lens system would not resolve itself! :( After looking at other cameras and checking out reviews, I finally decided not to rush into one just to get pictures/videos of me sinking into my newly enhanced pit at the Crescent Road pond. If things didn't turn out, then I would have gotten a lesser camera too soon, when I could have waited for a better one. :? My mom took her digital camera with her to Reno, so there weren't any working digital cameras in the house for me to use. :(

But then, it suddenly hit me! :shock: I DID have a digital camera! :D It was built into my dad's cell phone that he had left me to call anyone if I was away from home and in trouble! :D It had bluetooth, and my IMac had bluetooth, and so I figured that I could take pictures with the cell phone's camera, and then transfer it to my computer via bluetooth! :idea: It was a shame, though, that it wasn't able to capture videos. But still, I was happy that I could at least take photos of the mudpit to show off the changes I had made to it! :D

Finally, on Wednesday, September 16'th, I got up, and the sky was clear! :D There was a cold front expected to move in come the late evening, so this was my last chance at taking advantage of the latest spell of unseasonably warm weather! The forecast was calling for sunshine with a high of somewhere around 29˚C, or 84˚F, while our normal highs for this time of year were usually around 19˚C, or 66˚F!

I left home at 7:42 am, and hoped that I didn't lose any fitness after going for 16 days without biking. :? But, up to that point, I was going every 4 days, and then 3 days. So, hopefully, I had built up enough fitness to still retain some of it for this adventure! :roll:

My plan was to see if a submersion was feasible at the Crescent Road pond, since I was going to target that area first, and would therefore sink during the middle of the day, since it was going to take me longer to get there since I had to bike all the way this time. If I didn't get my head cleaned well enough there due to colder water, then after my following planned sink at the Edwin Lakes area pond, I would hopefully be able to clean my head better there. :roll: Since my parents were away, there would be no one at home to spot anything I had missed! :roll:

As I headed up into the mountains, I started to notice how much my legs were aching, and I hoped that my knees would remain free of pain, something that hit me hard the previous year around that time. I noticed that there was a high band of hazy smoke to the southeast that got closer and overhead which concerned me, but it seemed to have dissipated as the day went on. :) When I made it up the climbs, I was happy that I never had any of that dreaded knee pain, although my legs felt a bit tired.

On the way up, I saw logging trucks, and also some Coldstream Ranch trucks with cattle trailers still heading uphill with cattle! :shock: I had thought that they were finished moving cattle into the mountains, and after the first batch dissipated at my pond, I was feeling relieved. But now, I was starting to worry again, since I didn't know how many trucks of cattle have been heading up into the mountains over the past few weeks! :shock: I just hoped that none got stuck in my bog! :shock:

I snacked on two Pizza Pops on the way, and turned onto Crescent Road, noticing how my legs were definitely feeling weak! :x I guess that my legs had lost their conditioning, since I had gone for 16 days between bikerides, and even longer between bikerides where I biked up into the mountains on my own, thanks to my dad giving me rides past the main climb! :shock: I just hoped that I wouldn't suffer any leg cramps during my sinks, something that could really spoil the sinking fun! :? I saw a small garter snake on the road, and when I stopped and approached it, it quickly took off into the vegetation, where it would be safer.

I reached the sideroad to the Crescent Road pond(s), and hoped that there wouldn't be any cattle in the area to get stuck in the muck. I crossed the dried-up stream that flowed southward to the east pond, and I was thinking about how I had never checked out the source of that stream, something which I should do sometime. In fact, if I was to decide to spend this entire day at the Crescent Road pond and not bother with the Edwin Lakes area pond, then perhaps I could spend some time exploring it. :roll:

I walked my bike down the sidetrail and set it down beside some bushes which would hopefully provide shade, at 12:30 pm. While the winds had been light all along, I noticed that it seemed to suddenly increase, according to the sound of it rustling the leaves in the trees. I was very happy to see no cattle in the area! :) I got out my breathing tube in case I decided to use it instead of the breathing hose, my swim goggles to protect my eyes in case I did go under, a bottle of Kool-Aid, and my dad's cell phone. I put my things into a plastic bag, the phone in my left pocket, and I was on my way to the pond, noticing how the grass beside the alders was cut short by grazing by the "lawn mooers".

I set my bag of stuff down in the grass on a cattle path north of the pond, and headed to the old beaver lodge on the east side of the northern portion of the pond to retrieve my breathing hose. I was happy to see that the mud was still exposed on the north side, and it looked like it had less water on top than last time, meaning that the water level probably dropped since last time. :) I grabbed the hose, returned to my things north of the pond, and continued southward to my sinking spot midway down the western shore.

When I got to the area, my enhanced bog really stood out as an almost circular patch of dark bare ground amongst the surrounding grass and flat layer of dead vegetation, likely died from being previously covered with water! No cattle were stuck in it, although I did notice some small animal made some tiny tracks on the surface (too light to sink). I couldn't resist jumping on the ground around the outside of the bog, mainly the south, west and north sides, watching the surface undulate. It looked soooooo inviting, and the weather was nice and hot, with the sun out! :) I hoped that the cleanup water could be warm enough for me to clean my head, although I wasn't holding my breath. :roll:

I set my things down in the shade of an alder further back to the west than my old spot I used to keep my things due to a cow pie, and got my things out. I turned on the cell phone, and after looking through all of its various settings, I found out that its built-in camera was already set to maximum resolution, 640x480. I had hoped that it could go higher, but that was as large as it could get. I then headed over to the bog with the cell phone, ready to snap pictures of the bog! :D

First, I took a picture from the west side, then one from the south side, and then from the north side, with the picture from the north side showing the light reflecting off the surface of the mire, making it lighter. When I went to look at the pictures, I then checked the settings again, and noticed that the "Quality" setting was set to "Normal", so I set it to "Fine", and re-took the pictures from the west, south and north sides, taking 3 pix from the north side, in case I moved the camera while taking the picture.

I found that I had to stand a fair ways back to get the entire sinking spot in the picture, because the lens had a relatively narrow view. Because of that, my original plan of taking a picture of the bog with my shadow over it to show the scale was spoiled because I had to stand so far back that my shadow was a long ways away from the bog. Instead, I carefully set my red hat close to the centre of the bog, since the surface was firm, and took a couple of pictures of that from the south side. I then retrieved my hat, finding that the edge of the visor was a little bit muddy, but not much of a problem.

While to the south of the bog, I had bent my legs a bit, and found that one of my legs started getting cramps! :shock: I had made it all this way without getting any cramps, and had hoped that my day of sinking wouldn't be spoiled by them. I just hoped that I could avoid any further cramps. :?

I was then ready to check out the water, to see if a head cleanup was bearable. But first, since I was going to be around the water's edge, where things would be muddy, and the mat of vegetation was fragile, I decided to strip my clothes first, and leave them with my other things. That way, I would be able to check things out without worrying about making a wrong step and getting my clothes muddy.

I had decided that I wasn't going to try out the area in front of the beaver lodge for cleanup, since it was "leech-central"! :P I first checked out the area north and northeast of my sinking spot, starting with the patch of water that was where I had dug out the mud to add to the sinking spot. On my way there, one leg went through the vegetation, meaning it was good that I didn't have any clothes on. The water in that pool was warm on top, but cool deeper down. It was also too shallow for head immersion without stirring up sediment.

I checked out the edge of the pond there, with the mat of weeds sagging down under my weight, and the water from the pond pouring in. It felt a bit cool, since the movement of water mixed the colder stuff with warmer stuff, but there was a slight warm layer. However, things were now too cool deeper down for me to head into the pond itself to immerse my head. :?

I headed to the pond edge southeast of my sinking spot, where the water would also pour over the mat of weeds as it sagged down from my weight. Once again, it was the same as the other spot I had just checked.

Finally, I headed over to the smaller pool on the south end, which was where I had originally planned on going to, anyways. I reached the spot where I often entered/exited, where there was a rocky shore and logs under the water. While the water was quite cold deeper down (my feet were aching where they were in the sediment on the bottom), I noticed that the top 3 inches was actually warm! :D That was a nice enough layer for a half-decent cleaning of my head, although a deeper immersion would be uncomfortable. :? By the time I would be ready for cleanup, the sun should have warmed up an even thicker layer of water on the surface! :roll: So, it looked like a submersion was a definite possibility :D , as long as the mud was comfortable enough! :roll:

I returned to my bog and things, and noticed that it was 1 pm, roughly the peak of the sun during the day, and I was happy to see that there were no clouds to cover the sun this time! :D I removed my hat, put my swim goggles on my head, took off my glasses and put them with my things, grabbed my breathing hose, and headed to the south side of my large patch of pulsating mire. I planned on sinking facing north, so that I wouldn't be staring at the sun as I tilted my head up as I sunk deeper. I was all ready to begin my vertical submergence sink! :D

So, standing on the south side of the bog and with my breathing hose in hand, I jumped northward, landing waist deep in the middle of the dark patch of thick, undulating, farting muck! I then paused for a moment to savour the experience. It was soooo nice and cushiony around my lower body, with the slightly stiffer surface bending down around me and cracking, especially in front of me. I then began to move, the sucking ooze slowly rising up my abdomen. It felt rather comfortable, was thick enough to be able to rise up a ways over my head before pinching shut, and the sun was nice and hot! :D Things looked extremely encouraging! :D

I kept my hands and arms above the surface, since I wanted to wait until I put my swim goggles over my eyes before getting my hands muddy. I struggled and swayed around, feeling the thick doughy muck sway with me. Slowly, the thick ooze sucked me down to my chest, as I made digging motions with my feet to help pull me down deeper without the use of my arms. Swamp gas occasionally farted out of the mire around me, which added to the experience. I also noticed some sedge grass seedlings were already starting to sprout on the surface, a sign that Nature was once again trying to cover up the bare mud! I picked some out, but knew that they would be mushed into the mud eventually.

But, the one thing that I had feared suddenly reared its ugly head! :shock: One leg started to tighten and get painful cramps in the thigh, forcing me to wait it out, only to have the other leg develop painful cramps as the first leg got better! :x I would wait for the cramps to subside, and then as soon as I continued to work myself deeper, the cramps would return in a different muscle in one of my legs! :x Once that muscle cramp was over, another muscle in the other leg would cramp up! :evil: It seemed as though every movement I made would result in more painful leg cramps in a different muscle! :x There would be muscle spasms at first, then painful cramps, and then more muscle spasms in between the painful cramps! :x It was really slowing down my sinking, and I needed to go under soon, before I started to become chilled! But, each time I tried to make digging motions with my feet to make myself sink even deeper, I would then get hit by more leg cramps in my thighs! :x I managed to struggle to my armpits, resting my upper arms on the relatively stiffer surface of the mire, which was starting to give way a little. Gradually, as I waited for each new cramp to go away, I began to feel increasingly cooler, and finally decided to forget about going under, since the act of working myself deeper into the soft, thick ooze was too painful. :x :(

I did some struggling in between the bouts of painful cramps, and slowly worked my upper arms down into the mire, with the thick upper surface curling over them, with me having to pause each time the cramps returned, waiting them out. It was really nice to rock my arms, which then resulted in the entire surface around me rocking as well! :D I finally put my hands down on the surface, and let the sucking muck close over my lower part of my arms, before eventually pushing my hands down harder, creating a hand-shaped hole in the stiffer surface, when then slowly closed shut over my hands. Once my arms and hands were under the surface, it was really nice to rock the surface even more with them, moving my body as well to enhance the rocking further. :) I gradually sunk down to my shoulders, but not over them. I didn't feel like going any deeper, since I took too long to get that deep, losing too much body heat while waiting for each leg cramp to subside, some of which seemed to take forever. :(

Just when I thought there wouldn't be any more muscles to cramp up, another one would seize up. :x Some occasional shivering also aggravated the pain in my legs a little. When I did manage to struggle in between cramps, I then felt myself warm up nicely! :) In fact, I found that the thick, doughy, creamy, cushiony mire warmed up quite nicely around me, making me feel much more comfortable! :D That is, if it wasn't for the cramps in my thighs that kept on recurring, making me have to suffer through the pain! :x

I did the rocking bit with my arms a few times, and also worked my arms down deeper beneath the surface, with the mire making sucking sounds as the thicker stuff to my right closed over the remaining upper part of my right arm. But, when my arms and hands were pushed down deeper, they were now in contact with colder mud that hadn't been warmed by my body heat yet, which sent chills through my body until it too warmed up to my arms. Then, I was comfortable again. :) Each time I felt any chills, a bit of struggling would warm me back up! :) While struggling up to my shoulders in the wonderful mire, I almost felt tempted to go deeper after all, but decided not to bother. I so badly wanted to struggle a lot more, but the leg cramps would stop me each time. But, the mire felt soooooooo goooooooood, that I just wanted to stay in it and savour the experience, regardless of the pain that kept on seizing my legs!

I thought I heard the sound of an ATV :shock: , and so I began to quickly work myself up higher, only to hear nothing afterwards. :) But, I kept my ears peeled for any sounds, since the last thing I needed was for a hunter to see me! :shock: My sinking spot was directly in line with a break in the trees between the two ponds, the easternmost one which had the sideroad on the east side of it! So, anyone coming down that road could see me through the gap in the trees! :shock: Perhaps I should consider trying to open a new spot in a more hidden area. :?

Now that I was higher up, I began to struggle more, and proceeded to mush up the mud all around me into a real sticky gooey mess that clung thickly to my arms and hands! :D I worked myself up to my stomach, and struggled in the mushed-up quagmire, imagining that I was in deadly quicksand that was inescapable, and that I would eventually get sucked under to my death! :shock: I continued to struggle, pushing down on the mire around me, trying to keep from being swallowed alive, the sticky doughy surface undulating hungrily around me, the creamy, doughy feel of it cushioning the parts of me it already swallowed, slowly sucking me down deeper, never to escape, all raising my stimulation up to convulsions of ecstasy! :D

After that, I wasn't finished just yet! After pushing down on the edges of the undisturbed mire to smooth it into the disturbed stuff, I proceeded to work myself out by lifting up my legs and then straightening my body, with me slowly rising up a little bit higher in the ooze. Each time I did that, I would have to hold perfectly still, since any slight movement resulted in me sinking back down, although I did make some movements on purpose! :twisted: I then worked myself up to my stomach again, sat back, and worked my legs up, until my thighs were at the surface. But, it was awkward to extract myself since it was so sticky. Instead, I stood up, and sunk back down, but this time a little closer to the north side, since I had moved my legs forward, and was facing northward. I managed to grab onto the grass/weeds on the north side of my patch of sucking ooze, and pulled myself forward. I then began to pull myself out, pushing mud off my skin as I went, turning around to sit on the north side and face south as I extracted each leg and pushed the mud off them, back into the bog. I was then free of the sticky clutches of the sucking bottomless patch of gulping quagmire! :D

I then pushed some of the undisturbed stuff lower to make it level with the disturbed muck, and then couldn't resist laying down on the undisturbed stuff on the south side for a horizontal struggle! :D So, facing east, I kneeled down and leaned forward, the thicker surface giving way under my knees and sucking my legs and crotch down. It felt nice and warm on top from the solar heating, which made things more comfortable. :) As I leaned forward, I pushed my arms into the surface, which closed over them. I then worked my arms straight down and struggled, feeling the thicker surface cradling the front of my abdomen, and licking the sides and back of my rear. But, once again, the leg cramps would rear their ugly head, forcing me to pause my struggling until each one subsided. :x

I felt something itching or tickling me on my abdomen, and I figured that it might have been one of the tiny brown beetles that were crawling around on the surface of the mire, now trapped beneath me. :? I loved the feel of the mire, feeling it undulating and pulsating underneath my body as I struggled! I kept on struggling, imagining that I had fallen into deadly quicksand, soon to be swallowed whole. The feel of it was out of this world! :D But, no full stimulation this time (likely too soon after my last one). It was such a shame that circumstances had prevented me from going under such wonderful goo! :(

I then struggled to move myself to a different part of the bog, finding that the sticky mud was really holding onto my legs, forcing me to fight with it to move, and loving every moment of it as I fought with it and mushed up the surface on that south side! :twisted: I then repositioned myself on the east side and faced north, laying down to struggle there horizontally, before sitting back up to let it swallow my legs again.

I stood up and proceeded to struggle, mushing the thick surface stuff around me into a sticky mess, and making subtle movements which caused me to sink down a little bit there before struggling myself back higher again, pretending to be trying to get out of this gooey "deathtrap" and "failing", and once again loving every second of it! :twisted: I lifted my legs and straightened my body to rise higher, and managed to work myself westward, towards the edge of the first spot I had mushed up, further away from solid ground, to struggle some more! I just didn't want to leave the gooey softness, and the mud was also eager to keep me in its sticky grip! :twisted: I struggled a bit more, before finally deciding to exit the mire to have a nature break.

So, once again, I had to work myself up higher by lifting my legs up and straightening my body, until I was high enough to struggle to the east side. I worked myself out on the east side, pushing the mud off my body as I went, sitting back on the shore, pushing the last of the mud from my legs and feet back into the bog, and then standing on the solid mat of floating weeds! I was once again free of the gooey sticky grip of the bottomless gulping mire! :D

I cleaned my lower arms and hands in the pool of water north of my sinking spot, where I had dug out the mud before. I then headed to my things and put on my glasses, noticing that it was some time after 3 pm. I then headed a little bit further to the north of my things in the meadow to take the nature break. I knew that this was going to be the only spot I was going to be sinking at today, and that the Edwin Lakes area pond would have to wait for another time. I was then ready for my final bit of sinking! :D

This time with glasses on to allow me to see things more clearly, I returned to the bog, deciding to have a final horizontal struggle in the last part of undisturbed mud, which was on the west side, where it was the thickest! :D Facing north, I worked my knees into the thicker top layer of the mud on the west side, the thick ooze gulping them down and rising up to my crotch! It felt sooooo great, but I realized that the situation would be even better if I had faced east, so that my upper body would be over the first spot I sunk into! :roll: So, I repositioned myself, facing east, with the thickest doughy ooze sucking my knees and bent legs back down to my crotch, and beyond! My feet were brushing against the grass on the west edge of the patch of mire while I leaned over forward, pushing my hands down into the soft goo that had been previously mushed up! It felt sooooo great! :D

I struggled vigorously, watching the mire heave and pulsate in front of me, feeling the thicker stuff cradling my crotch, all the mud cushioning the front of my abdomen, my arms swallowed by the voracious ooze with nothing solid to push down on, imagining that I had fallen into deadly quicksand and I was going to be sucked under to my death, just bringing my stimulation once again up to convulsions of ecstasy! :D

Now it was time to call it quits! I worked myself back out of the sticky quagmire, pushing the mud from my skin back into the bog. I then proceeded to go around and push down the mud around the sides, making the patch bulge up in the center. I also pushed down some lumps, and tried smoothing things out a bit.

Now, it was time for me to get cleaned up! I headed to the south end, only to find that the part of the small pond there that I usually entered was now completely shaded by trees. :( So, I chose a spot further to the east, where it was still in the sun, with a submerged log to sit on just a few inches below the water. I cleaned my arms, then my front, doing things slowly and systematically, since I was feeling chilled, especially from the gusts of wind, which had also been making me uncomfortable during my struggles in the mud earlier. The mud higher up my body had been drying, so it took a bit of rubbing for it to flake off or dissolve and rub off. Once I finished my front, I proceeded with my back, which was a bit awkward. But, I grabbed some underwater weeds and used them to scrub my back a bit, which helped. I was happy about how quickly I felt warmer as I quickly dried off, and I then stood up off the log, and crouched down into the water to clean my lower body, and then stood up again to clean my legs.

I noticed that the bottom under the sediment had an interesting texture, firm but slightly yielding. So I reached down, and pulled up a layer of clay that was blue, or grayish-blue in color! I mushed it up in my hands, which felt real nice and gooey and sticky, before washing it off in the water. I then pulled a larger chunk and mushed it up in my hands, pieces dropping off into the water as I mushed it up into a nice blue peanutbuttery goo. I would have loved to sink into a bottomless pit of that stuff, but it would have likely been of high density, making submersion difficult. :? But, that blue clay was of an interesting texture and color. :)

I then returned to shore, but with muddy legs, since it was muddy there. So, I stepped into the shaded spot where I usually cleaned off, where the shoreline was rockier, and cleaned my legs off there. I checked the water there, and just as I had expected, the layer of warm water, even in the shade, expanded to the top 4 inches! :D I found a leech on the top of my left foot, scraped it off with my fingernail, and tossed it back into the water, making several attempts at throwing it away before it finally lost its grip on my finger I had used for holding it.

I then headed back to my things, walking on more of the fragile mat of quaking vegetation floating on soft, bottomless mud closer to the edge of the pond on the southwest end, thinking about how a place like that could be considered treacherous by some! :twisted: As I headed back, I found a spot where my left foot easily broke through the moss covering black muck there. That spot was something I used to encounter long ago, but had thought that it had been long since grown over with grass, since I hadn't seen it in years. ? It must have simply been submerged all that time, to be finally exposed during this extra dry summer! :D I thought about how I could easily open up a new spot there, but figured that perhaps it would likely be submerged again during normal years. :?

When I got back to my bog, I cleaned my feet off in my previously excavated pool of water north of the sinking spot, and then headed over to my things, where I got dressed and began to put things away. I sat down on a log just to the north of my things, brushed off the debris sticking to my feet, and put on my socks and workboots.

Now, it was time for me to take some final pictures of my mushed-up bog, and once again just couldn't resist jumping on the grass beside it to make it undulate and pulsate. :D At that time, the sun was starting to go behind the clouds, which was okay, since the bog was now being shaded by a tree. It was also good that the clouds held off until I was finished with my sink and cleanup! :)

I experimented with the white balance on the camera, but found that for the "Cloudy" setting, the color was off. So, I stuck with the "Auto" setting. I took pictures from the southwest side and the north side, making several in case one didn't turn out right. I also took a couple of closer pictures of the patch of sucking muck.

I grabbed my things, returned to the bog one more time to jump on the grass to make it undulate again, and left, just after 4 pm, perfect timing! :) I was almost to my bike when I turned around because I had forgotten to return the breathing hose to its hiding spot on an old beaver lodge hidden in some alders on the east shoreline of the northern part of the pond, where the water adjacent to it was shallow and had a solid gravel bottom good for cleanup, but was also "leech central"!

I returned to my bike, put my things away, and headed back for home. I had heard a cow mooing to the southeast of the pond several times, making me wonder if one was stuck in the mud there. :? But, I never saw or heard anything when I was headed down the west shoreline of the pond to the southeast end for cleanup. Perhaps I should have checked out more of the eastern shoreline, in case one was stuck in an exposed soft spot, which in this case would have had nothing to do with my activities in the area. :? Perhaps next time I will check it out, and hope for the best. :?

I saw a garter snake on the road and I stopped beside it, watching it. It flicked its tongue out, and just stayed there. I moved closer, it flicked its tongue out and still didn't move. Wanting to get its attention, I then reached out with my hand and stroked/caressed its tail a few times before it finally flicked out its tongue, retracted its tail, and slithered off the road, eastward into the weeds/bushes, away from danger. :)

Convective clouds had thickened overhead, but they didn't build too much. I snacked on a Pizza Pop, some chocolate chunk cookies, and an oatmeal bar on the way. While heading downhill, I passed another truck with a cattle trailer, parked on the side, the driver probably experiencing some problems while heading uphill. Just a little ways behind the trailer, was a large patch/puddle of fresh cow droppings on the road. The clouds that were thickening earlier on my way back started to dissipate to the east of me as I got close to home. :) But, I saw more solid clouds to the west, thinking that they were likely from the approaching cold front. :? I got home some time around 7:15 pm.

I was a bit disappointed about not being able to go under because of the painful leg cramps! :( But, at least I still enjoyed the mud, and spent lots of time in it! :) My legs were quite stiff and sore the next day from the cramps in my thighs. My abdominal muscles were also a little sore, but it was okay since it resulted from the exercise they got from the struggling in the thick gooey mud! I was happy that my knees never developed any pain, although I was concerned earlier during my sink when the leg cramps and spasms in one leg (I think it was my right) was making it click, and in the past, it was a certain click in my knees that initiated the knee-problems in the first place! :?

I was happy that, unlike my previous bikeride, where I had been driven up by my Dad and wound up feeling unusually exhausted, this time I biked all the way up on my own, and didn't suffer the weakness and exhaustion! :D The lunch I had on the way up likely made the difference, as well as perhaps the extended rest I had between bikerides this time!

I wondered if later on in my sink I should have tried going under after all, since I did notice that the frequency of leg cramps eventually diminished, although they never completely went away until I was no longer stressing my legs too much from the movements in the mud. In fact, later on, I did find myself able to struggle more with less problems with cramps. :)

That day, the official high in Vernon was 29.1˚C, or 84.4˚F, while at the Elkhart Lodge, my gauge for higher elevation weather, they got up to 20˚C, or 68˚F, showing that things were a little warm, but not that hot in the mountains, something that I did feel. The next day, Vernon hit 25.8˚C, or 78.4˚F, only a few degrees cooler, while the Elkhart Lodge hit only around 12˚C, or 53.6˚F, an indication of how noticeably cooler it was in the mountains!

After my sink there, I had been pondering the idea of spending another day adding even more mud to the patch so that it would not only become exposed even earlier yet, but would then become thicker faster, which would be better! :roll: But, I realized that I needed to have it reasonably soft in the late spring or early summer so that I could loosen it to greater depths, just as it was on the east side. With it looser to greater depths, it would take the victim down to shoulder depth with less effort and movement for a REAL sinking experience! :twisted:

Regarding the pictures I took with the cell phone, after figuring out how to connect my computer to the cell phone using Bluetooth, getting them successfully paired, I discovered that the cell phone didn't support data file transfers via bluetooth! :x I wanted to try a transfer via usb cable, meaning that I would have to see if I could buy one, and see if it would work, but nothing was available locally, and it would have been extremely expensive, if it was available. :( According to what I read regarding products on the web, the software available is only for PC's, not Macs. :( I didn't want to send the pictures via email from the camera, because it would show up in the phone bill, and I didn't want any record of what I was doing with the camera! :shock: :oops: That being said, whether I transferred the pictures to my iMac or not, I planned on deleting them from the phone before my parents got back from Reno Tuesday, September 22'nd, since I didn't want them to open up the image album and see a bunch of pix of a patch of mud, including a couple with my hat sitting in the middle of it! :oops:

But, when my deadline was reached, I had one last resort, which was displaying each picture on the cell phone and hold it up to my iMac's built-in iSight camera, and snap a picture of that. It was really difficult to get a decent image of each picture, but at least I did get 5 of them captured! They were quite tiny though, blurry, and the colors were not very good. The picture quality is kinda reminiscent of that of Sasquatch sightings. :P But, at least you can get an idea of what the new improved sinking spot looks like now. I am glad that I did at least get something transferred to my computer :) , since I didn't want all the pictures to be lost forever! :(

Here they are, all merged into one:

New Improved Quagmire.png

I then kept a close eye on the weather, since it looked like a return to warm weather again was coming for the week following this bikeride, although I knew that the solar heating was on a downhill spiral!
Last edited by Boggy Man on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Boggy Man

Adv #21: My Final Chance To Get Sucked Under For 2009!

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:47 am

Adv #21: My Final Chance To Get Sucked Under For 2009!

I was looking forward to my next opportunity to go sinking, since it was getting close to the end of my season. I sooooo badly wanted to have a successful complete vertical submersion, but was concerned about things getting too cold for doing so, especially the cleanup water, where the layer of warm water on top would be thinner than last time. :? But then, I came up with a simple solution! :D If the water was too cold to immerse my head to clean my hair and ears, then I could cover them up with a plastic bag! :mrgreen: The mud was thick enough so that hopefully no water or mud would leak inside! :D I found a plastic bag that was red, so that when I emerge, the red would show, and no one would mistake me for a deer! :)

What I believed to be my final chance at an underbog this season was on Wednesday, September 23'rd, the first full day of autumn (the changeover to autumn started Tuesday afternoon)! The forecast for Vernon that day was for sunshine with a high of 31˚C, or 87.8˚F, a nice hot day! :D On the day before, on the news, the anchors were talking about how nice it was to have heat without smoke for a change, something that I was happy about too! :) I was glad that the smoke from the previous week cleared out, and things were nice and clear! :) But, Tuesday evening, I did notice quite a yellow sunset, which concerned me a little. :?

On Wednesday, September 23'rd, the morning had clear blue skies, but I noticed that way off to the west, there was the leading edge of a band of smoke stretching from the south to the north, and it appeared to be getting closer! :shock: My parents were back from their Reno trip the night before, and my dad had found out his ATV had just gotten stolen from my brother's farm! :evil: Bad news indeed! :(

For my bikeride, I wore red shorts, a red t-shirt, and a red hat, with a navy jacket, green plaid jacket, and red windbreaker on top. I kept red on top because it was a safe color to have during hunting season.

Since my parents were back, my dad gave me a lift into the mountains, saving me time, energy, and preventing the onset of painful leg cramps that had plagued my previous adventure. :) If I had gone biking the day before, I would have been on my own with leg cramps again, and less time in the mountains. The smoke to the west was getting closer :shock: , but the sun was still bright where we were. :)

I got dropped off past the main climb and was on my way at 8:45 am, under bright sunshine. :) Because it was so early, it was a little bit too cool for sinking yet, so I decided not to bother with an early sink at the Edwin Lakes area pond. :? So, I headed towards Crescent Road, planning to do some exploration of some other places, including the stream that entered the northeast end of the east pond. But, as I headed further up the main road, I noticed that the air was starting to feel warmer! :) So, I decided to try sinking at the Edwin Lakes area pond after all, and perhaps check out the other lake to the north (Sinclair Lake) while waiting for things to warm up.

So, I turned around, and then headed down Aberdeen Lake Road into a small valley, to Duteau Creek, finding the air a bit chilly in that low spot, where coldest air tended to settle, further cooled by the creek itself. But, when I headed back up the other side of the small valley and up Edwin Lake road, I started to hit warm air! :)

I came across some cattle on the road - two cows and two calves. The cows stayed put, which I was happy about, and I passed them. But, the calves took off and ran up the road in front of me. They finally turned southward off the road, but the two cows unknowingly passed them, following me instead, thinking that the calves were still in front of me. So I stopped, and tried to make gestures towards the location of the calves. Then, I moved towards the cows, chasing them back to where the calves were, and they were reunited. :)

I reached the entrance to my trail that I was to drop my bike off down, only to discover that there was a deep freeze that had been dumped right at the trail entrance! :evil: Of all the places for someone to leave junk! :evil: WHEN WILL PEOPLE STOP TURNING OUR BEAUTIFUL WILDERNESS INTO LANDFILLS???? :evil:

It was some time after 9:30 am, perhaps around 9:45 am, when I dropped my bike off down the trail, and wearing one jacket and a windbreaker, headed down towards the pond. I checked out the smaller pond to the west first, noticing that it was now half mud and half water, but, as always, was choked with yellow waterlilies. I figured that this would be a good time to make like a bear and take a dump in the woods to pass the time and let things warm up more. So, I wetted a wad of toilet paper for cleaning, headed to my rest area up the hill and across the road, and a little further up the hill, and was done some time after 10:08 am, with things warming up nicely. :)

I got my things, headed over to the west side of the pond, and walked clockwise around it to the east side, hoping that no cattle were caught anywhere, and being relieved to find nothing. :) I glanced at some mud exposed on the north side of the pond, which was not that big, although it was likely to be quite deep or bottomless. I headed to the east end, noticing that my main mud patch was a nice and dark blackish brown. :) But, I noticed that the shadows from the clump of willows to the south were getting long, and were slowly headed towards my sinking patch, threatening to soon cut off the sun's warmth there! :shock: So, I decided to get started right away, planning on having a limited sink, since I didn't want to have any submersions so early in the morning.

Eager to get started, I quickly got undressed and set my things amongst a bush to keep them higher off the lower grass, since there was still so much dew there, due to it being shaded part of the morning from the bushes to the east after the lengthening nights. I kept my glasses on since I wasn't going under, and was happy that the sun was feeling nice and warm, and the air mild, with things going to warm up even more as the sun got higher! :) I walked around to the west side of the patch of mire, standing in the shallow mud to the west of it, and was ready to get myself partially swallowed by the hungry bog! :D

I jumped into the center of the dark patch of bare ground, landing in past my knees in the thick, doughy ooze! The dark surface cracked a bit and was bending downwards towards my legs, which were slowly being sucked down deeper and deeper into the farting muck. I struggled, the voracious ooze quickly cradling my crotch and then sucking it under, with it feeling sooooooo goooooood! :D The surface undulated stiffly, due to it being so thick on top, as the gulping mire continued to rise up my stomach. I could feel bubbles of swamp gas rising along my body as I struggled, to fart and hiss at the surface. I pretended to be trying to escape by pushing down on the surface, only to have it give way and slowly suck my hands in, with the doughy ooze rising up my arms as well as my abdomen.

The mud felt a bit cool at first, but warmed up to me nicely. The sun felt nice and hot on my skin, which helped me stay warm, although I was getting more concerned about the smoke to the west that was getting even closer yet! :shock:

I struggled in the doughy muck, loving the way the surface quaked around me, the way the thick mire hugged my body, conforming around it like a doughy, rubbery waterbed, with more bubbles of swamp gas rising along my body and farting at the surface! :D I found that there were quite a few bubbles that started at my feet, and rose upward along my body from there! I pretended that my arms were stuck, unable to pull them out of the "deadly" quagmire, feeling swamp gas also rising up my arms and farting at the surface as well. I loved the sticky licking sound the mire made when it quivered and pulsated around me and against my skin as I struggled, kinda like the sound made when you are sitting bare back on a vinyl (or other similar material) car seat on a hot day, and stuck to it with sweat, and then separate your back from it. :) I continued to struggle, imagining that I was wondering how deep the mire was, slowly sinking up to my chest. I loved the feel of it, and continued to struggle, until I reached my nipples. At that point, I decided that at this early time of day that I wouldn't get much deeper. So, I stayed at that depth, and continued to struggle, imagining that my arms were hopelessly stuck, with their fully engulfed position changing from the initial vertical orientation to more diagonal and bent.

I finally decided that the "stuck arms" scenario wasn't quite stimulating enough, so I pulled them out, closing the holes up, which hissed as the air was expelled. I noticed that my wrists were feeling sore from all the strain of the struggling in the thick mire. I then laid my arms on the surface, and started to press down in front of me as I struggled vigorously, pretending to be trying to escape, with the mire "locking up" a bit around me when I tried forcing myself up. The extra pressure on the mire when I pushed down on top in front of me while trying to lift myself up was just what I needed for stimulation! :) So, struggling vigorously, I imagined that I was stuck and slowly sinking to my death in inescapable quicksand, the feel of its soft yet tight, firm, rubbery grip holding onto my body, the surface pulsating around me, unable to extract myself by pushing down on the surface in front of me, brought my stimulation up to the point of convulsions of ecstasy! :D

I then began to slowly work myself back up, working one foot higher and then the other, with me slowly rising up more and more out of the thick doughy rubbery ooze. As I slowly extracted myself, I found that there were multiple bubbles of swamp gas finding my body and rising up along it, farting at the surface quite rudely! :twisted: I worked myself up to around my belly button.

Then, I stopped working myself up any further, because I didn't really feel like leaving it just yet! :D The thick, rubbery, doughy slime just felt too gooooooooood to leave! :D I then once again began to struggle, pretending to be trying to keep from being sucked down deeper, but without success! :twisted: I pushed my hands down into the mire to my sides, imagining that my hands were again getting stuck. I lifted them up slightly, enough for the mire to make sucking and hissing sounds, imagining that I was hopelessly mired, unable to escape, and slowly sinking even deeper yet! With my arms once again "trapped" in the thick muck, I was thinking that if I was having "this much trouble" pulling out my arms, then trying to extract my entire body from the deadly sucking muck would be impossible! :shock: :twisted:

My hands were stinging a bit from the cold layer of mud just below the surface, a layer which used to be the warmest layer, but not anymore, due to the reduction in solar intensity and duration, as well as the increase in shadows and nighttime cooling. Earlier in the season, it would be warmest on the surface, with a really good warm layer on top, and get progressively cooler with depth. But now, the heat was being sucked out of the mud from the top down when it wasn't in the sun, making the upper portion much chillier and it relatively warmer deeper down. But, the weaker sunshine was still able to warm up a thin layer on the surface slightly.

During my sink, I suddenly felt the nice warmth from the sun disappear! :shock: Looking around, I noticed that all the shadows had become faint, and the sky, which had been nice and blue, was now turning milky white, with everything getting an orange tinge! :x It looked like that smoke to the west finally moved overhead, filtering out the sun! :x Earlier, the occasional breeze from the west felt warm, but now it felt cool! :x I could see the clear blue skies to the east, with the sharp edge of the smoke continuing to push the blue further away! :x Now, I was starting to feel less comfortable, now that the heat from the sun that compensated for the coolness of the mire was now cut down substantially! :x The shadows from the willows were also starting to move to where I was. :( I couldn't see any break in the smoke to the west, smoke which was higher up in the sky and not near the surface. I was concerned about losing valuable solar heating on the one day we had a record warm airmass with the potential for setting record high temperatures for this time of the year! I was also depending on the unfiltered sun warming the top few inches of water for cleanup at the Crescent Road pond!

But still, I was feeling not overly chilled, and was able to continue to enjoy my sinking and struggling. :) I had noticed some strands of hair on the mud in front of me, likely from me when I had a complete submergence in one of my previous bikerides.

I worked my hands back out, and then laid them down on the surface in front of me, but forward. I once again pretended to be trying to escape the gulping mire by pushing down with my arms, only to have the surface slowly give way beneath them. I then forced my hands down as well, and continued to struggle, with the mire slowly closing over my arms and hands. I lightly tugged at my arms, still partially exposed with the mire partially closed over them, feeling it holding them down, thinking how I was getting more and more bogged down! :twisted: I continued struggling, pretending to be trying to keep from being sucked in deeper, only to slip even further down into the gulping mire! :shock: Slowly, the mire closed completely over my arms, until they were totally encompassed within its soft, rubbery embrace, and slowly sinking even deeper as I continued to struggle, pushing them down further yet beneath the surface of the muck to try and keeping myself from sinking deeper, without success! :twisted: I enjoyed the feel of the mire encompassing my body from the lower chest down, as well as my arms and hands.

Once in a while, swamp gas would continue to rise along my body and fart at the surface, and sometimes, it would hiss further away. Occasionally, I would glance around at the grass, whose base was almost at chest level, thinking about how the ground was sucking me down! :twisted:

Finally, I began to struggle vigorously again, imagining that the deadly ooze was slowly sucking me down deeper, that there was no escape, the feel of it around me, the movements of it reacting to my struggling, raising my stimulation to even stronger convulsions of ecstasy! :D

Now it was time to call it quits for this sinking session! I proceeded to work myself up by lifting one foot and then the other, with my body rising up higher and higher. Once again, there were more bubbles of swamp gas rising along my skin, to fart at the surface. When my crotch finally reached the surface, the swamp gas that rose was making other interesting rude noises, such as burplike sounds as well as the farts! :twisted: Once I was high enough, I sat back and worked my legs out, pushing the mud off my skin and back into the mire. I was now free of the sucking bog!

I crawled around the bog and pushed down on the surrounding mire to make it level with the stuff where I had sunk, since I had left a depression because my body sinking had displaced the mud to the sides. The mud, especially where it was shaded by the willows, had become quite cold on top, but I withstood the chilliness, and finished the levelling out of my sinking spot, before heading to the pond.

I had noticed that on the east side of my sinking spot, it looked like a cow had walked to the edge before backing off. When I first arrived, I had noticed on my way to the east side of the pond that there were many signs of cattle having been in the area. There were places with grass flattened and trails through the grass closer to the pond where they had been sinking through the mat and struggled to get back to more solid ground, fortunately with success! :)

When I walked through the mud into the water, I was surprised to feel that the water actually felt mild! :D It basically felt not as cold as I had feared, and even had a hint of warmth, relatively speaking! :D The warmth was only slight, but still enough to make the cleanup not too uncomfortable. :) However, the colder water that bubbled up from the soft bottom was enough to cause painful shrinkage of certain body parts in my crotch area! :shock:

I waded out far enough for me to clean my back easier in a couple feet of water, and was able to swish the surrounding not-so-cold water to my crotch area to replace the colder water that bubbled up from the bottom. I cleaned my front and back, feeling a bit chilled because of the lack of bright sunshine due to the annoying cloud of smoke! :x I then headed closer to shore to clean myself down to the top of my legs, before briefly smoothing out some of my footprints around my sinking spot and then finishing the cleanup of my legs amongst the yellow waterlilies and weeds south of the clump of willows south of the sinking spot.

I air-dried most of my body, during which time one small dragonfly with black markings on its wings landed on my right shoulder for a few minutes before flying away. I got dressed, and put my jacket and windbreaker back on as well to help me warm up faster. I jumped on the grass on the east side of my sinking spot once more to watch the quagmire quiver, before finally heading back to my bike, disappointed that the lack of strong sunshine might mean the loss of my chance for an underbog sink at the Crescent Road pond. I would have to cross that bridge when I came to it. :?

I returned to my bike and was on my way, but it was already some time around 12 noon, a bit later than I had anticipated! :shock: When I headed back down to Duteau Creek, the air there still felt chilly, because the filtered sun from the smoke wasn't sufficient to heat things up enough to get rid of the cold air that settled into that small valley (the creek flowing through there also kept things cooler), reinforcing my concern about the chances of me having a complete vertical submergence at the Crescent Road pond. :? But, I felt a slight reassurance about the planned sink when the air felt nicer once I climbed up the other side of the small valley, and continued on the main road towards Crescent Road. I snacked on a couple of Pizza Pops along the way for lunch.

On the main road, I noticed that Shaggy Mane mushrooms were finally popping up along the roadside in an area where I always picked them! :) But, since it was the middle of the day, I wasn't certain if they would last the day on my bike (they turn to black mush quickly). :? I planned on picking them on the way home, if I had time. :roll:

I noticed that there was some warmth where the slope faced the sun, but in general, things still felt like they were slightly cool, but still with the potential to get hot with some stronger sunshine. :roll: Further up the road, I saw a small motorhome with an empty trailer parked at a sideroad. That concerned me, because that trailer may have likely held an ATV, and those things have a nasty habit of showing up on every obscure trail in the area! :shock: I just hoped that my area would be missed out. :? As I climbed up Crescent Road, I noticed that the air felt warmer, and I was also feeling warmer, especially from my climbing. :) I began to feel like perhaps a complete vertical submersion could be possible! :roll:

I turned up the sidetrail that led to the area, and stopped beside the east pond to check the water. I figured that since the east pond appeared to be deeper, that it may hold more heat, and so perhaps could be warmer than the west pond, which was "my" pond. :? But, when I went down to the water and stepped onto some logs and felt the water, it was chilly right up to the surface! :( So, using that pond as a cleanup area wasn't going to work. :? However, I knew that it was also extremely high risk, since it was right beside the sideroad! :shock: I continued on, noticing that the sun appeared to be getting slightly brighter, with the smoke appearing to shift to the southeast, with the milky skies fading away to more bluer skies to the north! :) That definitely looked encouraging! :)

I walked my bike down the sidetrail north of the west pond (my pond), and set it down in the shade of some alders. It was some time around 1:30 pm. I pulled out a container of Kool-Aid, the red plastic bag I was going to use on my head if I went under, my shoestring I was to use for tying up the bag to tighten it around my head, and my swim goggles to protect my eyes, if I went under. I headed down to the north end of the pond, set my things down in the grass, retrieved my breathing hose from on top the nearby beaver lodge hidden in the alders on the east side of the northern part of the pond, picked up my things, and headed down to my sinking spot on the western shore, looking at the exposed mud along the way.

I was happy to see that once again, no cattle were stuck in my enhanced exposed patch of bottomless quagmire! :D In fact, once again, there were no cattle in the area! :D The surface of my bog was all rough from the last time I sunk there, since we had no rain since then to completely smooth/flatten it out. I jumped on the ground around it and watched it quiver and undulate, with it looking sooooo inviting, just beckoning to me! :mrgreen:

But first, before I could go ahead with the sink, I had to check out the cleanup water to make certain that it was bearable for cleanup. :? I set my things down further to the west, in the shade of an alder tree, removed my workboots, socks, shorts and undershorts, but left on my red t-shirt, to keep me warmer. I had to take off the lower clothes because I was going to be trekking through some muddy spots, and I didn't want to have to clean my legs off before having to remove the lower clothes later. It was best if I removed them ahead of time. I also removed my swim goggles from their package, and set them down with my breathing hose.

I then headed to the smaller pool at the south end, and first checked the water in the more solid entrance spot on its southern shore, finding it feeling not frigid, but still quite a bit on the cool side. I then headed to the southeast side and checked out the water around the partially submerged log, and was delighted to see that, while the water felt a bit on the cool side on the most part, the very top layer of water had some warmth in it! :D I could lay on the log, which would keep me in the top warm layer for cleanup! :D

The cleanup water was useable, and the sky was getting progressively bluer, with the sun starting to feel a little bit stronger! :D So, it looked like this season's final chance of me having the thick gooey patch of bottomless quagmire gulp me completely beneath its quivering surface, standing up, was a go! :mrgreen:

I headed back just a little ways, stopping to cross to the east side to check out the muddy areas there, to see if there was a cow trapped anywhere there. :? Last time I was on the north and west sides, I heard mooing coming from that direction. I located another of my old sinking spots, still exposed, but surrounded by tall grass that kept it well-shaded from the sun, preventing it from warming up. I headed further northward along the east shore, finding no animals trapped. :) Relieved, I then retraced my steps, accidentally stepping into one soft spot which swallowed one leg to the thigh, getting it muddy. I crossed over to the west side again, and returned to my sinking spot, some time around 2 pm.

Now it was time to get prepared! :D I took the red plastic shopping bag, made certain it had no holes, and experimented with it on my head. I decided that the best setup was to pull it over my hair and ears, bunch it up at the back, and then tie the string around the bunched-up part of it, creating a plastic ponytail. Once I had the plastic bag tightened and tied up, I had to tie the excess string around to my forehead so that the string wouldn't be dangling. I then took off my glasses, put my swim goggles on my forehead, picked up my breathing hose, headed to the south side of my sinking spot, and was all ready to go! :mrgreen:

Facing north, I stared at the patch of bare ground that undulated when I jumped on the grass beside it, the patch of ground that was going to suck me completely under, standing up! :twisted: I then took a leap into the center, landing thigh deep in the thick, doughy slime. It felt as if I had jumped into a bottomless pit of thick bread dough! :D The soft but thicker surface all around me bent down towards me, with some cracking, as the quagmire rose above my crotch. Swamp gas farted from the sucking morass as I slowly sank down deeper, with each movement I made making it rise even higher up my body! I had set the breathing hose down in front of me, with the soft end that I was to put into my mouth closer to me, and the other stiffer end in the grass on the north side of the bog.

I was concerned about the mud being too cold and uncomfortable, but while it felt a little cool, the coolness didn't seem to last long as it warmed up to me, and was even less noticeable deeper down, where it was still storing this past summer's worth of heat that had penetrated that far! :) It felt sooooo gooooood as the doughy softness slowly rose up my abdomen, quivering and undulating around me as I struggled! :D I also made digging motions with my feet, which helped the voracious ooze gulp me down even deeper! Slowly, the mire rose up to my chest, with me holding my arms up in the air most of the time, occasionally moving the breathing hose closer to me so that it would be within easy reach when the time came. Once I was sucked down chest deep, I began to lower my arms, resting my upper arms and elbows on the relatively firmer, rubbery, doughy surface of the hungry muck.

I could feel some pressure on my chest now, but it was not a problem, just something that I noticed. I was happy to be able to sink without any leg cramps this time, since I had been already in so much pain by the time I was in this deep last time. Avoiding the main climb into the mountains made all the difference in the world! :D

I lifted my arms again and continued to struggle, and made digging motions with my feet deeper down, causing the sucking morass to rise to my armpits and shoulders. At that point, I began to rest my upper arms and elbows back on the surface again, and began to struggle and press them down, causing the surface to slowly yield and suck around them. When the mire closed over the upper parts of my arms, I was able to use them to help me sink deeper as well, although keeping my hands up in the air made it not as efficient. I moved the end of the breathing hose closer in front of me, brushing off some mud from the end of it that was to eventually go into my mouth. Finally, as the sucking ooze rose up my shoulders, I moved my swim goggles onto my eyes, making certain that I had a good seal, and that the red plastic bag wasn't getting caught under the top of it.

Now, with my hands free, I was able to use them to work myself down deeper, pushing them into the mire, and then using them to push up as I dug my feet down deeper into the doughy mire, happy about still not feeling any leg cramps! :) I did some rocking with my body and arms to make the mire rock with me from side to side, which was a really wonderful effect! :) The rubbery surface of the voracious ooze sucked over my shoulders, and rose to my chin! I then grabbed the breathing hose and put it into my mouth, making certain that I had a good grip on it with my teeth.

I continued to work myself even deeper, although I was uncertain whether going all the way under at this time of the year was a good idea, due to the mud and cleanup water getting colder (progressively thicker layer of progressively colder mud near the surface of the bog and progressively colder water just below the progressively thinner warmer surface of the cleanup water). :? But, I kept on sinking deeper, the mire rising up my chin and starting to cradle the back of my head as I started to tilt it up, although I didn't have to tilt it too much, since I had a breathing hose in my mouth. In fact, I reached up and pulled the part of the breathing hose in front of me down into the doughy mud so that it would enter my mouth easier and more directly upon submergence.

I could feel the coolness of the mud pressing against the plastic covering my hair, slowly rising up around my head. I hoped that the plastic would hold in place, because I was concerned that the friction from the thick mud sucking me down might push it off. :? I kept on tilting my head more and more upward, with the mud billowing around my head and then rising up above the sides of my upturned face!

I occasionally swayed in the mud to make it sway with me, before working myself down deeper yet, watching the circular billowy wall of mud slowly close inward on my view of the sky. Each time I pulled myself down deeper, the muddy tunnel to the blue sky would get longer, and start to pinch ever smaller. As I got deeper, I had to tilt my head further back to keep my nose in the open so that I could breathe more easily, although I was also using the breathing hose in my mouth to inhale. As the thick suffocating muck shrunk the gap even more, to keep my nose inside it for as long as possible, I tilted my head far enough back that my goggle-covered eyes were under the mud, although I could still see some light through the edge of my goggles. But, the light diminished as the smothering ooze finally closed shut completely, forcing me to inhale only through the hose, and exhale through my nose. But I was still catching brief glimpses of light during the odd exhale from my escaping breath, which briefly reopened the gap before it sucked shut over me again. I was now totally sucked under the surface, something I verified when I tried inhaling through my nose, only to find that I couldn't, meaning that I would have been suffocating if it weren't for the breathing hose! :twisted:

My exhaled breath would make hissing sounds to the surface at first, but after working myself down deeper yet, it sometimes hissed, and other times made the "phlup, phlup, phlup" sound. I couldn't both inhale and exhale through the hose, otherwise carbon dioxide would build up inside, slowly asphyxiating me, due to the length of the hose (somewhere around 5 or 6 feet)! :shock: So, I had to use the hose only for inhaling, and use my nose for exhaling, which was generally slightly more work, but not too much. But, it was preventing me from being able to breathe too rapidly, so I didn't want to get too out of breath while down there. :?

It felt soooo wonderful to be totally under the surface, breathing through the breathing tube, which was the only thing keeping me alive under the thick, suffocating quagmire! :twisted: I was a bit disappointed about how the mud surrounding my head felt so much more chilly now, which was a shame, since it was so nice and warm back in mid summer! I was concerned about the thick mud's drag pulling off my swim goggles, but fortunately, it didn't happen. :) I kept my faith that the plastic bag was still in place on my head.

I worked myself down a little deeper, until I started to detect a noticeable increase in the thickness of the mud beneath my feet, making me wonder if I had reached some sort of boundary in the mud (getting close to a bottom or a different type of mud?). :? When I reached up with my hands, I figured that the mud must have been around 8 or 9 inches above my head. But, I couldn't stay down that deep for very long, because of the fact that I didn't wait long enough after eating before having the sink. My stomach was making all sorts of gurgling sounds, and felt rather uncomfortable from the pressure on it. I started to wonder what would happen if my stomach's contents were to suddenly come back up into my mouth, where the end of my breathing hose was stuck in, the only source of air for me! :shock: So, I worked myself up a little, feeling the pressure reducing on my stomach. I then started to let out some burps, which made my stomach feel more comfortable again. :)

After my stomach felt relieved, I didn't bother going back down that deep. I was still deep enough under, and continued to enjoy my experience of being totally vertically encompassed by the thick, doughy, suffocating ooze! :D I struggled with my arms raised slightly above my head, but to the sides and still submerged, and stayed in that position, with the mud warming up to me nicely, although it kept feeling a bit chilly around my head. I inhaled through the breathing hose in my mouth, and exhaled through my nose, with my escaping breath going "phlup, phlup, phlup" to the surface, although sometimes it did just hiss, but I was deep enough that there was only darkness during the exhaling. I occasionally swayed beneath the surface, to feel the mud sway with me, except for lower down, where the unworked stuff around my legs was soft but more rigid, like sour cream that hadn't been stirred yet. Every once in a while, I would start to struggle a bit more vigorously to try and warm myself up, since I was feeling a bit on the chilled side from the cold mud around my head. I raised my hands to the surface, felt the doughy surface around me, thinking that if someone had come across me, that person might think I was in trouble and reach out to grab my hands to pull me out! :shock: I then retracted my hands back into the soft mire. I also tried to face forward a little, but with my breathing hose in my mouth and swim goggles on my eyes, I didn't want to force things too much inside the thick sucking bog, for fear the the mud might try pulling things out/off. :?

Even though I was feeling chilled and had to breathe heavily because of having to use extra force to exhale through my nose into the thick, doughy ooze, the feel of the mire surrounding my body was awesome! :mrgreen: Somewhere around half a foot beneath the surface of the suffocating doughy ooze, with my breathing hose the only thing keeping me alive, I was totally suspended in cushiony softness hugging my skin all over, although my eyes were protected by the swim goggles, allowing me to keep them open, seeing nothing but darkness, and my ears and hair were protected (hopefully) by the red shopping bag to keep them (hopefully) dry and clean! :mrgreen:

But eventually, the chilliness won out, and I decided that it was finally time to return to the regular outside world above the surface of the sucking ground! So, I began to work each foot up, with the rest of my body pushing up higher and higher. I could feel the pressure and resistance of the thick mud pushing down on my head as I slowly pushed up higher and higher, working each foot up over and over again. I had to be careful not to get my swim goggles dislodged from my head while pushing up higher and higher through the thick muck. I could hear my exhaled breath no longer going "phlup, phlup, phlup", instead becoming a steady hiss with each exhale as I got closer to the surface. Then, as I got even closer to the surface, I could feel my nose exhale more easily, and so tried inhaling briefly through it, only to feel some mud trying to get in (good thing it was so thick). I worked myself up higher, removed the breathing hose from my mouth and tossed it away, since I was finally able to breathe without it. I cleared the mud from my swim goggles so that I could see light as well as the surrounding muck, although it was a bit foggy from condensation inside the goggles, as well as a bit clouded from mud smeared on the outside. I was able to breath through my mouth easily, although I noticed that the mud was still over, but not always against, my mouth and nose. The surface stuff was thick enough for me to move my head slightly back to keep a gap open between my face and the wall of mud in front of me to keep breathing easily. :)

I then began to struggle some more and work myself back down deeper, this time without the breathing hose to keep me alive beneath the surface. The mire rose up over my head, with me watching the gap in the muck over me slowly closing in overhead. I worked myself down deeper, breathing through the tiny gap, until I took one more deep breath, held it, and pulled myself all the way under, once again being totally encompassed by the suffocating mire! But this time, I could not survive down there for very long, due to the threat of suffocation! :shock: So, I worked myself back up to the surface, where I was able to breath again, wiping mud from my mouth. I lingered there for a little while, struggling a bit, loving the experience, although I was still feeling a bit chilled. I then pulled myself back down again, with the walls of mud around the gap over my head billowing together shut, and paused beneath the surface, total silence, totally suspended and surrounded by doughy, cushiony, suffocating softness. Then, I worked myself back up to the surface, sunlight, and oxygen! :D

Chilled and desiring the feel of warm sun on my head and upper body, I was now finished with the underbog portion of my sink, but not with more limited sinks, once I first cleaned my head and shoulders. :) So, I started to work myself up higher, wiping the sticky mud away from my head and the other parts lower down as they became exposed. The thick ooze bulged to the left and right of my head, hiding my shoulders below. I continued to work myself up higher, with my abdomen rising up out of the muck. Once I got close to my waist, I couldn't get too much higher, so I sat back in the muck and worked my legs up higher. I bent back, reached over, and pulled myself to the south shore and sat on the edge, where I finished pulling my legs out, pushing the mud off my legs and feet back into the ooze, which was sticky and light rusty brown, in contrast to the undisturbed blackish brown surface surrounding it (the rusty brown stuff would soon change to blackish brown now that it was exposed to the air). I was finally free of the thick, gooey morass that I had just been completely gulped down by! :D

I removed my swim goggles, pulled off my plastic bag covering my hair and ears, and dropped them to the ground. I was very happy to notice that my hair and ears were indeed clean and dry! :D It worked! :mrgreen: That saved me a lot of cleanup problems, given the cooler water at this time of the year! :D I quickly looked around the immediate area to see if there was a spot where I could easily clean off my face right away. But, the water where I had dug out the mud that I added to the main sinking spot was disappearing, due to a combination of dropping water levels and the mud under the water expanding to the surface. Not enough for cleaning my face. The water at the edge of the pond was a bit cool, and the sediment too easily disturbed, especially as the mat of tiny grasslike rushes sagged under my feet and the water rushed in on top, full of organic sediment. So, the shoreline northeast and southeast of the sinking spot were out of the question. :?

I headed to the tiny pool on the south end, which was where I was originally planning on cleaning up, taking care not to hurt myself on any hidden sticks/logs along the way, since I couldn't put my glasses on until my face was clean of mud. I then first cleaned my lower arms off in the south edge of the pond, where there was the rocky dropoff into the shallow water. Then, I headed over to the southeast corner, where I then bent down and proceeded to clean my face in the water, trying to keep immersing my face only in the upper part where the sunshine had created a warm layer. I did a lot of splashing of water on my face and rubbing to remove the mud, and the same with the back of my neck. I worked at it for quite some time, making certain I had all the stuff removed from my face and neck, and then did my shoulders as well as my upper chest and upper back, rubbing the skin a lot to remove the brown scum that was always stuck to my skin whenever I sank into really thick organic mud. Once I had my face, shoulders, armpits, and the top few inches of my back and chest cleaned, I was ready to return to my sinking spot for some final, but more limited, sinking! :D I was very happy to see that the smoke was moving away, and that the sun was finally brighter and hotter than earlier, which made me feel more comfortable! :D

When I got back to my things, I finally put my glasses on, and checked my watch. Just as I had hoped, I noticed that I still had time for another sink (can't remember the time), which was why I never cleaned the lower part of my body. :) But, I needed to start my final complete cleanup at 3:30 pm, and be on my way home at 4 pm, if I wanted to get home before dark. So, I set the alarm on my watch to go off at 3:30 pm, although I wasn't certain if I would be able to hear it. :? With a clean, dry head and shoulders, and now wearing glasses for clear sight, I headed back over to my sinking spot for my final sink of the day! :D

Now, I had to make a decision. I could jump back into where I had my underbog sink, where it would be warmer from the absorption of my body heat, and stickier and softer from all of the disturbance from my struggles. :? Or, I could have a sink in an undisturbed spot, which would be much thicker on top, and would therefore have a greater chance of providing me with full stimulation. :wink: :? I finally opted for the undisturbed spot, and selected the thicker west side. So, I was now all ready for the final sink of the day! :D

Facing east, I stepped into the mud on the west end, my legs sinking into the thick ooze. I slowly struggled, the mire undulating as it slowly sucked my crotch under, and slowly began to rise up my stomach. I savoured the slow sink, pushing lightly on the surface around me, including the softer pudding-like surface in front of me, where it had swallowed me whole earlier. I bounced up and down a bit, making the entire patch before me undulate nicely. :) I imagined a scenario where someone saw me there and was curious about it, and I demonstrated to that person how quicksand-like this stuff was!

I continued to bounce by making jumping motions in the bog, bending my legs and straightening them out repeatedly, the entire quagmire coming alive! :D Then, each time I did that, I would then sink down a little bit deeper, imagining that I was getting more and more "stuck" all the time! :twisted: I laid my lower arms and hands on the surface, and let it slowly give way and close over them, as the mire slowly rose higher up my abdomen each time I struggled and made the mire undulate more from the jumping motions, making me more and more "helplessly" trapped in the grip of the voracious ooze! :twisted:

It felt sooooo goooooooood, with the thick stuff holding onto me, that I didn't want to leave, even though the shadows from the trees to the southwest were moving over me. I just lingered and continued to struggle deeper, having one tree's shadow pass me, with me getting back into the sun again. There were other shadows from other trees headed towards me as well, but at least the air was nice and warm. :) I just struggled, and made more jumping motions in the mire, with the muck rising up towards my chest, getting closer to the top of where the dried-up mud from my earlier sink was on my skin!

Finally, I began to struggle vigorously, imagining that the deadly quagmire was sucking me down to my death, with each time that I made it quiver, it would gulp me down deeper, the cushiony feel of it, the sight of it coming alive, all brought my stimulation up to the point of convulsions of ecstasy! :D

After that, I continued to struggle, linger, and enjoy the experience. I loved the feel of this particular stuff, something that I hadn't experienced in some time, since that mud hadn't been that thick in many years (perhaps over a decade)!

But, I finally decided that it was time to leave. :( So, I reluctantly proceeded to work myself up higher and pull myself onto the grass on the western shore of the pit, wondering if it was 3:30 pm yet, since I didn't hear anything from my watch by the alders to the west (but I wasn't certain if I would have heard it, anyways, due to how far away it was). :? I slid my legs and feet out of the smooth, thick quagmire, which folded inside out a little as my legs and feet came out, and pushed off any remaining mud on my legs into the bog. I then smoothed out the surface all around to make it more uniform, and checked the time.

It was already some time around 3:45 pm! :shock: The alarm did go off, and I missed it (I wasn't surprised)! :x So, I headed back to the smaller pool on the south end to clean myself up completely, taking along my muddy swim goggles and plastic bag with string. I set those things down in the water at the rocky shoreline on the south side of that tiny pond to soak, and headed over to the southeast part, where I leaned backward over the log and proceeded to first clean off my back, which was the hardest part (I sometimes liked doing the hardest part first). I could really feel the strain in my abdominal muscles from holding myself in that postion! I then cleaned my front, and repeatedly cleaned front and back, rubbing over and over again to make certain I got all the muddy scum off my skin as well, not to mention any spots I missed. The hardest places were the areas around my shoulder blades, and I tried my best to clean them. I cleaned myself down to my legs, and once again took a look at the bluish grey clay that was under the organic muck there. I went to the spot where the shoreline was rocky, cleaned my legs and feet better there, as well as the swim goggles, plastic bag and string. I then headed back towards my sinking spot and my things, only to accidentally sink one of my legs into a deeper part of the mud to the northwest of the tiny cleanup pond. I got back to my spot, and cleaned off my legs in what little water was left in the northern edge of the hole where I had dug out the mud for my sinking spot, which was now refilling with mud. I also took my breathing hose and swished it over and over and rubbed it with my hands in the water to clean it up a bit. The cleanup was finished! :D

It was now some time around 4:15 pm, 15 minutes later than I had anticipated! But then, I didn't finish my sink until around 15 minutes after I should have stopped! Happy that I was drying off so quickly, I got dressed. I sat down and removed debris from each foot as I put on my socks and workboots. I gathered my things and briefly jumped on the grass beside my sinking spot again to watch it quiver and undulate, wishing I could sink back in again, thinking how much of a mess I would be if I took one simple step or jump right there! :twisted: I headed to the north side, where I noticed that the water was now so low, that even more mud was exposed on that end, extending much further southward! :) I set my things down while I returned my breathing hose to its hiding spot on an old, (I think)abandoned, beaver lodge hidden amongst some alders, picked up my things again, returned to my bike, dried the swim goggles with my red t-shirt, put it away in its package, and put everything away in my saddlebags. I was back on the road some time around 4:30 pm, a bit later than I had anticipated.

It was cooling off faster than I had hoped, likely from the reduced amount of heating, thanks to the smoke from some forest fire! :x When I passed the stretch of road that had the shaggy mane mushrooms, I was disappointed to see that a grader had come by and scraped the entire stretch of road there, wiping them all away! :x Even the ones that were in a ditch further off the side of the road were scraped off! :x Actually, I had a feeling that it was only a matter of time before it happened, since earlier in the day, I had noticed that further back down the road, the surface had been scraped. :? But, I didn't have time to pick them anyways, because I was so concerned about getting home after dark. But, in the end, I managed to get home some time around 7:03 pm, while it was still light, just minutes after my target time! :D

It was quite an interesting day, and I was happy to have no problems with hunters, and no cattle, especially any stuck ones, in the area either! :) I had a sink in two areas, and finally got to have an underbog sink at the Crescent Road pond, and use the breathing hose there for the first time! :D The plastic bag made all the difference, because without it, I wouldn't have attempted the underbog sink at all! :D The mud was thick enough that nothing could leak under the bag, keeping my hair nice and dry! :D But, the top cold layer where it was losing the most heat to the longer nights made things a bit uncomfortable on my head, and I figured that this would be my last underbog sink of the year, given the increasing heat loss. :( I was happy to have no leg cramps, thanks to my dad giving me a lift into the mountains, although I did have to reduce the depth of most of my underbog sink due to stomach discomfort, due to sinking too soon after eating.

It was such a shame that my digital camera had to break down this year (on Saturday, July 11'th, during Adventure #7), preventing me from capturing pictures of, and videos of my sinks in, what is my best local sinking spot in years! :x But, this winter, I plan on getting a new camera, and am just waiting to see what new water/shock resistant models come out, and their features. :roll:

The official high in Vernon was 25.4˚C, or 77.7˚F, a far cry from the forecasted high of 31˚C, or 87.8˚F because of the annoying smoke! :evil: But then, our normal maximum temperature for the day was 17˚C, or 62.6˚F. We had no clouds, just a strong ridge of high pressure bringing clear skies and lots of warm air, only have it once again spoiled by smoke! :evil: I felt cheated out of record heat for the first full day of autumn! :evil: WILL WE EVER GET A DECENT WARM SPELL THAT IS NOT SPOILED BY SMOKE????!!!! :evil:

However, because we were in such a warm airmass, the air in the higher elevations was still noticeably warmer, as I had noticed during my sinks at the Crescent Road pond. :) The Elkhart Lodge, my gauge for high elevation weather, hit 24˚C, or 75.2˚F, nice and warm. :) Prince George, located to the north in central BC, hit 29˚C, or 84˚F, warmer than it was in Vernon, thanks to the smoke reducing the warm sunshine here! The prairies to the east were in the low 30's (high 80's to low 90's)! You could have sworn it was the middle of July rather than September 23'rd, the first full day of Autumn! :D

I had then found out from the news that the smoke that ruined our chance at a potentially record-setting day came from a large forest fire that was burning south of Eugene, Oregon! :shock: The warm southerly flow carried it all the way here, preventing us from getting the record heat that had been forecast! :x

On the next day, the temperature in Vernon hit 28.2˚C, or 82.8˚F, a bit warmer thanks to the smoke clearing out. The Elkhart Lodge hit 21˚C, or 69.8˚F, slightly cooler than the previous day, because the main flow of the hottest air had passed. After that, the heat was over. :(

On October 1'st, only 8 days after my bikeride, the maximum temperature at the Elkhart Lodge (my gauge for higher elevation weather) was only 1˚C, or 33.8˚F, with even some snow! :shock: So, basically, in 8 days, afternoon maximum temps there went from from 24˚C to 1˚C (75˚F to 34˚F)! :shock: My bikerides were definitely over! :( But, the cooldown didn't stop there! :shock: On Saturday, Oct 10'th, Vernon hit a high of only 8.5˚C (47.3˚F) and a low of -7.3˚C (18.86˚F), and that was only in the valley where it was warmer! :shock: The normals for that day were 13˚C (55.4˚F) and 4˚C (39.2˚F)! My sinking season was definitely over for the year! :( What a way to end a record-setting hot dry summer, with a week of record-setting cold! :shock: But things improved after that to more typical weather for that time of year, but unfortunately, with no more sinking weather until next year. :( But, at least I did have 21 adventures this season! :)

Thanks to El Nino, we have been going to extremes, going between near/above normal temperatures and cold snaps, with much less snow than in previous years. We would get a deep freeze with hardly any snow, then it would snow as it warms up, then we get rain which melts away most of the snow, and then we get another stretch of frozen weather before it warms up, snows, and then rains again. I hope that next summer turns out to be another hot dry one, especially since I have seen hot dry summers on the tail end of an El Nino episode! If there is less snow in the mountains, it could mean lower water levels in the mountains earlier in the season! I will have to keep my fingers crossed and wait and see. :roll:

So, my next planned sink will be at my Harris Creek slide area, hopefully some time between the tail end of March and mid-April (first '09 sink was on May 2'nd, due to La Nina (the opposite of El Nino) continuously pumping cold air over us in March/April), weather permitting! :roll:

And That Concludes My 2009 Sinking Season Adventures! 8-)
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Return to “Stories”