Tremor in the Night - An Interactive Story

Put fingers to keyboard and make your fantasies come to life!
Viridian

Tremor in the Night - An Interactive Story

Postby Viridian » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:48 pm

I stumbled across another interactive story template and gave it a quick spin. Please enjoy:

https://www.inklewriter.com/stories/67772

This one was a proof of concept that I did in a few hours. It's not great writing, but I wanted to learn the format and construction of the writing app.

For those who don't know how it works, it functions like a typical CYOA story with the options presented at the end of each segment. What's interesting about Inklewriter is that it allows you to mix and match paragraphs, allowing you to freely move between story branches and join them together. This creates a fluid story that is pieced together as you progress instead of completely diverging, presenting you with a different but complete narrative from start to finish each time to go through different options, basically generating a new story for you to read.

It also allows you to create IF statements, generating markers that are only visible to the author. What this means is that certain options may only appear if that marker is active. In this story, choosing to get clothes will open up new options in several decision trees that you wouldn't otherwise see. This really added another dimension to using decision branches, though of course it adds complexity in building the narrative around the choices.

There are ultimately only two endings - one fatal and one not. However, the final narrative will vary greatly depending on your choices.

Let me know your thoughts and possibly any ideas that could be used in this format.
Viridian @ deviantART: http://viridianqs.deviantart.com/

Theo

Re: Tremor in the Night - An Interactive Story

Postby Theo » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:35 pm

Well this is interesting :P For "not great writing," it's a very good story too. I've always kinda shied away from alternate endings, but I might have to experiment with this myself :idea: Thanks for sharing Viridian!
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:16 am

Nice work, especially for something you did within just a few hours. I have yet to try many of the other branches.

By my understanding, Inklewriter is a somewhat simplified, graphical editor for Ink. I have recently tried Ink (with the editor Inky) myself, and I am planning to make the transition from Twine to this new tool. With these CYOA projects managing complexity quickly becomes a major challenge, and Ink has many features to make that easier for me.
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

DJlurker

Postby DJlurker » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:55 am

That was decent, albeit somewhat predictable. Then again, you did say it wasn’t your best work. :P Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Musekal

Postby Musekal » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:28 am

DJlurker wrote:That was decent, albeit somewhat predictable. Then again, you did say it wasn’t your best work. :P Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

It's also more than a decade old

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:13 am

Musekal wrote:
DJlurker wrote:That was decent, albeit somewhat predictable. Then again, you did say it wasn’t your best work. :P Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

?

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:02 pm

I have tried most (if not all) of the paths in this story by now. It's not extremely elaborate but I like it a lot nonetheless.
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:39 am

Aiko wrote:I have tried most (if not all) of the paths in this story by now. It's not extremely elaborate but I like it a lot nonetheless.

Yeah, the paths don't open up anything new, just alternate ways to get to one of the two predetermined endings.

That said, I've just started on a Quicky Sanders CYOA with much more complexity. Depending on the paths chosen, there can be up to three different quicksand scenes featuring up to three different characters. Choosing different pathways creates alternative versions of each scene rather than repeating the scene elsewhere.

Bled 1

Postby Bled 1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:15 pm

Viridian wrote:
Aiko wrote:I have tried most (if not all) of the paths in this story by now. It's not extremely elaborate but I like it a lot nonetheless.

Yeah, the paths don't open up anything new, just alternate ways to get to one of the two predetermined endings.

That said, I've just started on a Quicky Sanders CYOA with much more complexity. Depending on the paths chosen, there can be up to three different quicksand scenes featuring up to three different characters. Choosing different pathways creates alternative versions of each scene rather than repeating the scene elsewhere.

I am so excited for your next story

Musekal

Postby Musekal » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:46 pm

Viridian wrote:
Musekal wrote:

?

I think I had two stories open at the time and mixed them up. Sorry for the confusion.

Return to “Stories”