Hinky Punk

Put fingers to keyboard and make your fantasies come to life!
Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

Hinky Punk

Postby Lomax » Tue May 26, 2009 11:44 pm

Puff, pant... phew - it's still Tuesday where I'm sitting, so I've made it, more or less.

I can't remember where I read that Hinky Punk was a West Country dialect equivalent of Will o' the Wisp; but it set me off on this story. I read it out to a writers' group of which I was once a member (without telling them about the audience I actually wrote it for), and the general feeling was that it was too long.

Naturally, I took this advice on board and went on to write even longer QS stories. Anyway - here's this week's for now.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

joedeep130535

Re: Hinky Punk

Postby joedeep130535 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:26 pm

Hinky Punks appear in one of the Harry Potter stories As you say they are akin to will'o the wisps

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Thu May 28, 2009 5:54 am

Excellent story! Really like the idea of creatures luring someone into danger like that... :D

jack c

Postby jack c » Sat May 30, 2009 5:25 am

You have certainly approached the literary style of " The Moonstone" or "The Bride of Lammermoore" in this story. It is well written from a literary standpoint, with good detail on the sinking aspect. And there is a greater story surrounding the quicksand aspect. Good effort.

Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

Postby Lomax » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:11 pm

jack c wrote:You have certainly approached the literary style of " The Moonstone" or "The Bride of Lammermoore" in this story. It is well written from a literary standpoint, with good detail on the sinking aspect. And there is a greater story surrounding the quicksand aspect.

I acknowledge the fact that I am heavily influenced by other writers from time to time - sometimes more so than I realise until later.

I read the Moonstone a loooong time ago, and have never read The Bride of Lammermoor; so their influences are minimal. This story actually bears the imprint of Arthur Quiller Couch - particularly The Roll-Call of the Reef (despite the fact that there is no QS in that tale).

And yes, there is more to the story than just the sinking aspect. For me, this has to be so; mere Plop-and-Sink tales do not appeal. I want to know WHO is sinking, so that I can care whether they live or die.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Niiiiiiiiice!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to “Stories”