Adv #3: Experimental QS Video Meets With Success!

Put fingers to keyboard and make your fantasies come to life!
Boggy Man

Adv #3: Experimental QS Video Meets With Success!

Postby Boggy Man » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:46 am

After my last bikeride, I was anxious for my next chance for sinking at my quicksilt slide area at Harris Creek. I was also anxious to test out my new method of mounting the digital camera onto my head, using an old cycling helmet to secure the gorillapod onto. :roll: I really wanted to see if I could effectively capture a sink from my perspective while keeping my hands free! :roll:

The weather since my last bikeride turned warmer and then colder, with some rain, which I hoped would sustain the excellent sinking conditions at the slide, where groundwater was saturating a wide band of loose silt in the debris field closest to the hillside/cliffs on the west end of the cliffs. The weather turned warmer again, but I had to wait an extra day because I didn't want to go on an asparagus picking day, since my previous day of sinking was shorter than I would have liked. So Saturday, May 23'rd was my target, with the forecast calling for sunshine in the morning, cloudy periods in the afternoon, and a high of 25˚C, or 77˚F. Perfect weather for sinking, and if there were any clouds, then that would eliminate shadows during the shooting. :roll:

My dad gave me a lift up into the mountains again, and I was on my way some time around 9:30 am. I was a bit disappointed about the free-range cattle now roaming the area, since I dreaded whenever they ran up the road ahead of me, dropping their... droppings as they went, creating a sickening stench. :x I just hoped that this time they stay put or move off to the side, which they did! :)

I passed the slide area just after 10 am, deciding head up to some trails first to find an area where there were springs coming out of the ground. I had tried sinking there before, but just under the surface clay and algae was basically "quickgravel", and it was painful with the rocks grinding against my legs as I pumped them. But I did feel things shift and I was slowly sinking when I tried it years ago. It was also always ice cold from a steady flow of fresh groundwater, and cleanup would have been in a tiny creek, which was also cold. So, not the best place for sinking. :(

I biked partways up the sideroad, heading north and then east, before leaving my bike behind and proceeded on foot. I wondered if I was on the right trail, since I saw what looked like an overgrown trail where the one I was on turned from north to east. :? But, when the trail I was on turned to the northwestward and crossed the stream, I was certain that I was on the right track! :) Across the stream, I found where the trail curved uphill in a "U" shape, both ends heading west.

I decided to check the lower part first. I followed it all the way westwards, until it led me to the Mosquito Lake Road, a road that joined Harris Creek Road just before the slide area. So, it wasn't it. :( I backtracked, and then took forks to trails lower down, finding nothing. :( I then headed back up the trails to check out the upper part of the "U" curve.

On my way back to the "U" curve, I took pix of both yellow and violet violets. But, I was getting frustrated with some intermittent problems I had been having with my camera. When I turned it on, it would make some clicking noises and then would turn off. :x After repeated tries of turning it on, I would then feel it go thunk, and then it would work normally again. However, trying to zoom in also caused it to power down for some reason. :? I just hoped that the camera wouldn't act up when I was ready for my video! :x

I reached the "U" curve in the trail, where it went from heading east to uphill northward and then westward, heading up the part I hadn't checked yet. I vaguely remembered that the area of the spring was not too far away from the stream, and sure enough, there it was! :D Right in the middle of the trail, was a large wet area with water running southward, away from it, with shallow pools of water covered in algae, and all clay mud on top (containing the quickgravel/rocks underneath). It was pitted in spots from cattle walking over the muddy ground over the years. I took some pictures of parts of the spring-fed wet area in the sun and in the shade, but separately. I had tried taking a picture of the entire area, but the parts in the sun looked overexposed, while the parts in the shade were too dark. The pix I took, which I changed from 3072x2304 to 1600x1200, have been posted here. I then returned to my bike, and was on my way some time around 12 noon, hoping that the sunshine would be more steady, since there were a few cumulus clouds that were occasionally covering it.

I decided to stop along the way at a grassy clearing which had ground water surfacing from the stream which was intermittent there (nothing sinkable there unfortunately). I wanted to check for morels, and also take a large nature break. No morels, and couldn't take the dump, so I moved on, having wasted around half an hour, :x being on my way some time around 12:30 to 12:45 pm.

I got back to the part of the road above the slide area, noticing that the clearing between the road and the clifftops looked like it hadn't been used in a while. :) The atv tracks in the sand had been dotted with rain, and was now dry. I walked my bike into the bushes and got my things out, such as the old helmet, plastic bottle of Kool-Aid, digital camera, margarine containers containing string and my gorillapod, and finally, my junk shorts.

I snacked on my 2 pizza pops for lunch, and while eating the first, I headed over to the clifftop and looked down at my favorite area. I noticed that both cleanup basins contained water, but the level was definitely lower. I hoped that they still held enough water for complete cleanup, although I wasn't certain if cleanup of my head would be easy if I did get it muddy. :?

I sat down on the ground by my bike and finished my lunch of Pizza Pops, looking around at my surroundings, including a bumblebee amongst the low-growing blueberry bushes, which were in bloom. The bumblebee even landed on my saddlebag, thinking it was a flower. I heard something rustling through the bushes to the west, and wondered if it was a bear, deer, cougar, moose or cow/bull. :? I decided to take the rest of my food down into the slide with me in case it was a bear, since I had heard nearby rustling in the bushes a few years ago at the Edwin Lakes area pond, and when I had gotten back to my bike, all my food had been pulled out of my saddlebag and was gone. :shock: I hoped it was a deer this time, since they have been so prevalent in the area.

Carrying my things, I headed down the south-facing hillside and then eastward onto the top of the loose slope below the west end of the silt cliffs. I took off my workboots and socks on the less sloped top of the loose embankment and left them there, before walking down the rest of the way to the bottom, digging my feet into the steeper slope of loose silt to get good footing. I put my things in the usual slightly shaded area in the broken ground with some tiny bushes.

I got out my makeshift jean backpack from its hiding spot in another dip in the ground, that had been covered with slabs of bark. I wanted it to dry in the sun, since it had been dampened from the rain. But, I noticed that there were tears in it after all! :x I wished that I had brought the other fresh junk jeans with me after all, but I didn't really have much more room for it in my saddlebags after bringing along the old helmet. I took some orange string and tied the jean backpack up better to try and hold the tears more tightly together. It felt like they weren't tearing worse whenever I picked it up, so I hoped that it would hold the weights (one transformer and one heavy lead fishing weight) inside during my sink. :roll: I then cleaned the silt off my hands, and was ready for my next task.

I then went to work on my camera headmount, which I had a lot of confidence in. First, I centered the gorillapod on the front of the helmet, tying strings around two of its knobby legs, the second joint from the end of each. I strung the string through holes in helmet, and secured it nicely, also going around the upper part of the gorillapod to make it hold more rigidly. I then screwed the camera onto the gorillapod, and tested it by positioning it to what felt right, and taking snapshots of my feet, surroundings and chest. The lcd screen was in front of my eyes, but too close for me to really make out anything (too bad my camera wasn't equipped with a viewfinder). I had to do this without my glasses, since it was so close to my face. When I made the test snapshots, I had to remove the helmet and put my glasses back on, in order to view the results. It didn't look right, barely showing my feet. :( I had positioned the camera as low as I could get it, feeling the camera pressing down on my nose. I tried readjusting it, still with limited results, barely feet and legs. :(

I then redid the fastening of the gorillapod to the helmet, this time retying the strings to the last joints to hold the camera out slightly further so that I could bend it lower down. The results were better, but with the camera sticking out further, it was then a little bit too wobbly.

I then undid the strings again, shifted the gorillapod to my left by bending the right leg over and straightening the left leg (the left leg was still connected to left holes in the helmet, while the right leg was still connected to the right holes in the helmet), so that the camera would be positioned more over my left eye. The results were definitely improving, but still not good enough, since while I could see my feet and legs and waist, I still couldn't see my chest.

I then tied both legs (there is a third leg which I wasn't fastening) to the ventilation holes on the top left side of my helmet, and it fitted over my left eye a bit better, but the results were still not quite right. I then used the rear-view mirror I picked up last time to help me see the position of the camera on my face, which helped. I could get a view of my waist, legs and feet, but still not much higher. I finally curled the third gorillapod leg under the other two, using it as a spacer, to hold the camera out further so that I could point it lower. The snapshots definitely were better, but not perfect. I could not see much further above my stomach. I didn't think that I could do any better, so I decided to go with it and prepare for trying to shoot my next quicksilt sink from my perspective! :)

I changed into my junk shorts, and started looking around at prospective sinking spots. I first pounded the ground in the spring area to see if it was activateable, since the ground there was so damp, and I had seen a crack last time, suggesting some movement. But, no luck. :(

I then looked at the slumped area just to the west. The top part of it was nice, but I was concerned about that ground sliding downhill to a terrace where I had sunk in a while back, since it was so steep just on the downhill side, which included a bush. The northeast part of that slumped area was the best looking spot there, due to the fact that there was a more gradual slope there, making it one of my choices. :roll: I cleared away some debris from that area, since I knew that even if I didn't sink there this time, I would sink there sooner or later! :roll:

I headed lower down to look at the place where the slope slackened off before becoming steep again further downhill, a place which had liquid silt below a top layer of stiffer ground, where I had my other great sinks. I looked at the area just uphill (east) of where I did my puddle quicksand sink. The location of the puddle sink was now free of water, with bumps from silt volcanoes where water and silt upwelled from below from it being disturbed from my sinks there. There were also some deer tracks in it, indicating how it was now stiff, although it was still possibly liquifiable, but probably not for too much longer.. :?

The area just above the location of the puddle sink, which I had my eyes on for a while, seemed slightly drier this time, but still felt like it could soften nicely. I was concerned about sticks in the mud, since I had cleared away so many last time, and was still pulling out sticks that were sticking in the mud. After clearing away more sticks, I looked at one other nice spot closer to an e-w log to the south, which I also knew would be liquifiable, with less clay mixed in near the top. The surface stuff closer to the hillside to the north seemed to have more clay mixed in, creating a nicer texture. Because of that, I also tried pounding the ground on the north side, closer to the hillside/embankment, in hopes of activating the wonderful stuff there. But, unfortunately, it was too firm, which was a shame, since that surface giving way would have been really "captivating"! :twisted:

I finally decided on sinking into the area above the large white rock and puddle sink spot. So, I returned to my things, brought down the weighted jean backpack, the camera mounted on the gorillapod mounted on the helmet, one margarine container which I filled with water from the older cleanup basin for cleaning my hand(s) after the sink so I could touch the shutter button to stop the camera recording as well as the power button to turn the camera off, my white t-shirt for protecting my camera from the sun until it was ready to be used, and the rear-view mirror to see my camera's position over my left eye.

With all of my things nearby, I then pounded the ground with my feet, hoping that it would loosen up, since a few dry spots on top indicated that things were slowly drying out. There was one fallen tree sticking out of the ground just downhill, pointing westward, which I made certain to be to the north of, since I didn't want to run into it during my sink. Eventually, a small spot began to soften and move under my feet, with the area of quaking beginning to expand over a wider and wider area, much to my delight! :D I continued my "quicksand dance" to turn a yet wider area into a pulsating patch of ground-turned-waterbed. There were a couple of very tiny bushes (waxberry?) in the patch I was to sink into, which I then pulled out by the roots and threw away to the southwest, downhill. But, there was some root left in the ground, which I hoped was far enough to the south side to be out of the way. :? The 3 to 4 foot wide patch of silty quicksand was now activated, and ready to suck me into it! :D

I picked up my helmet with the camera and took a picture of the patch of ground that I had activated, looking northward, wondering if I should have taken a picture before I had activated it as well. :? I then put on my backpack, only to find that the pantleg "shoulderstraps" seemed a bit stretched, with the weights hanging down too low on my back. Examining it, I noticed a tear partly across one leg, which made it slightly longer. So, I was forced to untied the legs and retied them shorter. I was concerned about the extra time it was taking to do this, since once quicksand/silt has been disturbed, water and/or more liquid stuff tends to want to come to the surface, something that I didn't want to happen before I had a chance to get a certain amount of sinking done. I put on the backpack, noticing it went on tighter, but the weights still seemed a little low. :?

I put on my helmet with the camera mounted on it, and positioned the camera over my eye using the mirror, uncertain about whether or not I had it positioned properly, since it was now a little while since I had last tested it and may have forgotten the best position. It was a shame that I couldn't leave the camera in a tested position, since the camera always had to be moved over in order for me to take the helmet on and off. So, I took a sample snapshot, removed the helmet, and looked at the image, and it seemed okay. :) I wondered if I should have went for the video right then instead of doing the test shot, but I just wanted some reassurance that I could put the camera back into its optimum position. :? I put the helmet back on, and tried putting the camera back (hopefully) to where it was, and just had to have faith that it was in the optimum position. I accidentally pressed the shutter key to begin the movie prematurely twice, having to stop it each time. This time I had the image quality set to 640x480 instead of 320x240, to get a better quality image. I also decided to go for no commentary during the sink. So now, I was ready to begin! :D

On the north side of the patch of flat, ordinary-looking ground, looking downward, I tapped it with my foot to make it quake slightly, stepped southwestward into the middle, and faced west. I pumped my legs while still looking down, hoping that the camera was capturing the quaking mire as it's cracking surface stretched downward where I was standing, and slowly swallowed my feet and started to rise up my lower calves. I then tried pulling my legs out to test its suction, discovering that they DID come out, leaving two holes in the ground. I then had my feet slip back down into the holes, and continued to pump my legs, the voracious quagmire sucking them further down. NOW I was finally stuck in the pulsating mire! I tried lifting one leg and the other, but this time, the muscular mire wouldn't let go! As the sucking morass rose towards my crotch, I tried lifting one leg up again, but the muck would hold it, while the other leg settled in deeper. I brushed past a small root on the way down, and hoped there wouldn't be any more roots of sticks. I continued to struggle and sway in the wonderfully thick silty quicksand, which was undulating around me. From time to time, I bent myself backwards and looked down to try and catch an image of the mire separating from my stomach.

While my hands were clean, I had been occasionally steadying/repositioning the camera on my helmet with one hand to make certain it was pointing down as far as it could go, because it felt like things were shifting on my head more than earlier. I put one hand on the ground and struggled, put the other hand on the ground and struggled, put both hands on the ground and worked them under, pretending to be trying to push myself up, only to have my hands get sucked under. I lifted my hands up to the surface, pulling up a thick clod of stiffer silt between them. I pushed and worked my hands and arms down into mire, and then tried lifting them up, the surface of the silty quicksand bulging and holding onto them. As I struggled, liquid silt had been oozing from below, up through the cracks in the stiffer surface, and all around my torso, making the surface softer and stickier around me as I struggled and churned the mud with my hands, the sucking quicksilt really trying to hold my hands down. The surface would develop "elephant skin" wrinkles on it where my hands were churning the mud, sinking in and then being pulled out. My backpack's weights on my back had shifted my center of gravity further back, resulting in me slowly getting into a sitting position, which resulted in the gulping mire sucking me in further than when I was standing up, even though there was no solid ground beneath my feet (darn buoyancy!). But, at least I was chest deep in the wonderful ooze, although I knew that the camera wasn't able to see my chest. I just wished that I could transmit the feeling of it around me with the video!

After struggling chest deep, it was time for me to finally begin my escape. I worked myself forward, allowing me to rise up a little since I was in a sitting position, struggled some more, and then took off my junk jean weighted backpack and set it aside to my left (south), on solid ground. With the weight off my shoulders, I struggled some more, sat back, worked my waist and crotch up diagonally, eventually sitting further back onto the more solid eastern outer edge. I then worked my legs up, lifting up a layer of thick mire that was sticking to them, which I removed. I took some of the thick silt, and crumbled it in front of me. With my knees now above the surface, I was able to stand up, work the rest of my legs out, and step onto solid ground. There were noticeable impressions left behind in the mire, which I closed in by tapping my feet on the surface, which bounced quite enticingly. I then headed to the margarine container of water I had on the large white rock, and cleaned my left hand, so that I was able to touch the controls on my camera to end the video recording and turn off the camera. I removed the helmet, set it down with my things nearby to the north, just below the hillside/embankment, and removed my junk shorts.

I had thought about doing another video of a sink, this time a shot of me sinking, and not from my perspective. But, I was concerned that removing the strings securing my gorillapod to my helmet would take too long, with my sinking spot turning into another puddle of water like last time. :?

I decided to have an off-camera, hopefully stimulating, nude sink instead. So, I stepped back in facing west, and slowly sunk back down, pumping my legs, not wearing the weighted backpack this time. Underneath my feet, after sinking partways up my legs in the more whipped-up top layer of soft ooze, the silt would feel like flat, stiffer ground, but any movements turned it to liquid and I would sink deeper. When I hardly moved, it felt like flat stiff ground lower down again until I moved again.

After I had sunk past my stomach and got to around my buoyancy point, I began to work myself further in at an angle, diagonally. I was able to work myself down deeper that way in the really gooey silt, the stiffer feeling mire below my feet continuing to melt away to liquid with movement. The stiffer unworked stuff over my diagonally-positioned legs helped to hold them down, although there was a little bit of liquifaction and rising, but not too much. I worked myself down to my chest in the gooey morass, and struggled. It felt goooood, but not quite stimulating enough. I continued to struggle in the thick, batterlike goo, trying to lift my hands up through it, with it heavily coating them as it lifted with them. The surface would develop a wrinkled "elephant skin" appearance as it was churned by my trapped hands moving up and down while they were below the surface. I continued to struggle, slowly rising a bit. I then worked myself even more into a sitting position, my legs rising more, while my upper body sunk lower. I continued to struggle some more, just loving the feel of the silty quicksand. It had felt cool at first, but warmed up nicely around me like a thick blanket. :) I sat further back, my legs rising a little more.

I struggled vigorously, imagining I was in the deadly quicksand of legend, and was going to be swallowed whole, churning the thick goo, feeling its grip on me, making my stimulation explode into convulsions of ecstasy!

After enjoying my wonderful wallow and struggle in the sucking quicksilt, I decided to get out and try making that second video after all, which would be like the puddle sink video, but without the puddle, only gooey quicksilt, and it would be higher quality 640x480 like the first video of the day, not like the 320x240 video of my puddle sink. I worked myself up, loving how the mire lifted up with me on my skin, which I pushed off. After working my legs and feet out, winning my fight with the tenacious ooze, I smoothed out the impressions.

Before doing my next video, I quickly cleaned myself and my junk shorts in the older upper cleanup basin, wrung out the junk shorts, and put them on. I wasn't totally clean, but at least the slight bit of residue remaining wasn't that visible. I would have a more thorough cleanup after my final sink of the day.

Back at my sinking spot, I found a large stick, and worked it into the ground on the northwest side of the patch of worked mire, having to reposition it once slightly to the east, closer to the flattened terrace of muck. The patch of sucking ooze was starting to get some water pooling on it, something I didn't want on it this time. So, I skimmed the water off it with my hands until it was just wet quicksilt again. I had one part on the north (or northeast) side outer ledge lowered to try draining water away, but it wasn't really working much. I untied the strings that fastened the gorillapod to my helmet, which didn't take as long as I had thought. I mounted the gorillapod/camera to the stick, wrapping its 3 knobby tentacles around the upper part of the stick, and got the scene properly framed. I wanted to zoom in slightly, but once again, any attempts to zoom in resulted in my camera shutting off. :x So, I just left it in the wide view. The camera was positioned close enough for the sinking spot to fill much of the picture, anyway. I kept on having trouble seeing things clearly on the camera, since the lcd screen was so dark in the outdoor sunlight, even when I tried shading it with myself. After having to skim some more water off the surface of the mire, everything was now ready! :D

Some time after cleaning off after the last sink, I had taken a look at my first video, which I fast-forwarded due to its length, and it looked like my view was extremely limited, as if I had zoomed in but hadn't. :? But, I did have a clear view of my feet, legs and waist, and occasional glimpses of my stomach. So, the video of my sink from my point of view may have been a success after all. :roll: I had also taken a picture of the patch of worked mire after my second sink as well.

Ready to begin, I pressed the shutter button, and the camera was rolling! :D From the southeast side, I stepped into the claylike quicksilt facing west, quickly sinking to my knees in the well-whipped top layer of muck, and slowly continued to sink deeper as the silt deeper down melted away beneath my feet as I struggled. As the ooze rose past my crotch, I tried pushing down around me, but the soft mire only gave way beneath my hands. I swayed and struggled, slowly sinking deeper and deeper.
It was like slowly sinking into gooey dough! I churned the mire with my hands, it sticking to my hands in globs. The more I churned the mud, the thicker it got, as the stuff on the surface, which had been loosened from the water that had pooled on top earlier, was now getting mixed with thicker stuff from deeper down. Because I was getting to my buoyancy point, which was partways up my stomach, I once again began to get into a sitting position, which allowed the voracious silty quicksand to claim me even deeper! The sticky ooze rose up past my nipples as I kept on working my arms down pretending to be trying to escape, and then lifting them up through the ooze, which tried holding them down. When my arms and hands reached the surface, they would just be bulges in the mud, and then emerge, heavily coated in the tenacious goo.

Once I got sucked down almost to my armpits in the doughy ooze, I began to struggle faster to try escaping the sticky clutches of the tenacious goo, churning the mire with my hands, and starting to rise back up. I continued to struggle, working myself up higher, until my waist was above the muck. I worked my knees up, the voracious goo pulling up with my legs and knees and heavily coating them. Pumping motions helped me get them up higher, and then pulled and pulled to raise my rear, thighs and knees above the gulping morass. I then stood up, and began to sink back down again, the pulsating quicksilt making a hissing/sucking sound as it consumed my waist and rose up my stomach again. I REALLY hoped that the interesting sound would register in the video. :roll: I struggled some more before putting my hands onto solid ground behind me, and began to work myself out higher, playing tug-o-war with the clutching mire. I had to occasionally pull up my shorts, which were heavily laden with mud. As I rose higher, I was able to sit on the east outer edge, on more solid ground, and working my knees and legs up out of the mire, which stretched with them and heavily coated them. I managed to pull out my left leg, laid it flat, and then pulled out my right leg, pushing the thick coating of muck off them as I went. I got up, and was free of the doughy clutches of the silty quicksand! :D

I quickly swished my hand off in the water in the nearby margarine container I had sitting on the white boulder beside my puddle sink spot, returned to the camera, clicked the shutter button to stop the recording, and turned off the camera. With the second and final video out of the way, I was ready for yet one more sink, the fourth of the day! :D

I removed my junk shorts and facing west, I stepped back in. Once again, the gooey morass rose up my legs, over my crotch, and past my stomach. I just loved the feel of it giving way beneath me, and the texture of it! :mrgreen: It felt like it had some slight graininess mixed in with the finer stuff. I worked my legs forward to sink diagonally again, enjoying my struggles in the gooey mire. I felt a little bit cooler when I first entered, but it was once again warming back up to me. :) The mire felt softer behind me where a little more water had pooled slightly. I just loved its feel and gooeyness. As I worked my feet down diagonally, I worked my hands down in front of me, using agitation to reduce the resistance, and then pulled up with my hands so the sucking quicksilt would grab them, allowing me to pull myself down and forward as well, diagonally. It felt cooler when I was deeper, in around my nipples, but it also warmed up to me gradually. I struggled, and bent my legs to get into more of a sitting position to work myself down lower. My legs, especially my right leg, was braced below a very thick stiff layer, which helped me anchor myself down as I sat back. As i struggled chest deep in the wonderful ooze, I was unable to achieve full stimulation, but it sure felt goooooood! I wished that I could stay longer, with the mire warming around me more and more, but it was getting late. :( So, I had to work myself out of the wonderful goo, pushing it off my body, and agitating it to remove any impressions, although there weren't really much in the way of impressions now that it was well loosened.

I had been noticing for a while that some mud was oozing out of the bottom of the uphill (east)side of the puddle sink terrace, just downhill (west) of the newly formed terrace where I had my 4 sinks in, with new water pooling over puddle sink spot, likely from the ground being disturbed from my sinking just above. I had wondered if I had sunk diagonally far enough, if my feet would have eventually stuck out that side. :?

Now, there were shadows coming from the north side or northwest side, showing how late it was. I checked the time and it was after 5 pm, too late to have a horizontal sink in the place below my new cleanup basin, where I had struggled horizontlly last time, after discovering it to be too shallow for a decent vertical sink. It was a shame I had no time, since a horizontal struggle invoked such powerful stimulation. :(

I got cleaned up in my old cleanup basin, and then finished the cleanup in the cleaner water in my new lower cleanup basin. I brought up my backpack and hid it, along with the rearview mirror, again under slabs of bark in a low spot in the broken ground. I cleaned my junk shorts in both cleanup basins, and laid it on 5 inch diameter broken tree trunk to begin its drying process. I cleaned off my feet in the new cleanup basin, got dressed, put my things away, put my junk shorts on my head, and headed back up the drier, loose, silty embankment where I entered. I grabbed my workboots and socks, carried them to the top of the hillside, put them on, returned to my bike, put everything away, and briefly watched both videos, fast-forwarding through them because it was getting late. They both looked fine, although the tiny screen didn't do them much justice.

I was on my way back some time around 5:30 pm, and everything was going well until I got into Vernon. First, before turning off hwy 6, my chain got jammed after changing gears, and kept on jamming each time I loosened it. :x I then discovered that the chain was outside the front derailleur, so I changed to a lower gear to move the derailleur to a position further away from the gears, moved the chain back down, and things were okay again.

But, while passing through downtown Vernon, I started hearing a sound like a long scrape, and wondered what was rubbing against my wheels this time (my front brake had been making some noises as I biked, on and off). :? When I stopped, the sound continued, and turned out to be a hissing sound, not a scraping sound!!!! :shock: My rear tire was going flat!!!! :x I started to walk my bike a little, but immediately stopped, since I didn't want to stress the tube and tire, which were brand new. I was glad I had my dad's cell phone with me, and I managed to get a hold of them at my aunt's place, where they were spending the afternoon/evening. While I waited for them, I found a rusty nail/tack stuck into my rear tire!!!! :evil: So, my biking ended at around 9 pm, and I was finally picked up by my parents some time after 9:30 pm. At least I was spared the final part of the trip, which would have included a final uphill climb, at a time when I was the most exhausted from the day's activities. My bike tire has since been repaired.

It was quite a nice day, with the temperature hitting 25.1˚C, or 77˚F at our place, and officially 26.7˚C, or 80˚F for Vernon. Great sinking weather, although the heat was definitely starting to reduce the moisture at the slide area, not to mention lower the water levels in the cleanup basins.

I had a nice hike through the woods, and found the spring with clay full of gravel. But, perhaps the time spent looking for it and trying for a long unsuccessful nature break could have been better spent focused on the slide area. :? But, at least I had 4 sinks, with the first, from my perspective, and the third, viewing my struggles, on video, and the second with successful stimulation. It was a shame I never had time for a 5'th sink, this time horizontal in one spot I had previously sunk in. :( While the second video was of my 3'rd sink, into the well-whipped quicksilt, which was nice and gooey, the first sink was from my perspective, with the camera upside down over my left eye. My system using the helmet did work, although I wished that I could have gotten a better view of my upper chest. I noticed that my nose was visible on and off in the lower right corner of the picture (upper left on the original due to the scene being upside down). In my second video, the shadow cast by my camera mounted on the stick was quite visible on the lower left side of the image, but it wasn't really too bad, being to the north of the sinking action. My makeshift backpack was visible in the upper right corner of the image. I was happy to hear the sucking/hissing sound the bog made when I sunk back down in the second video. I did suffer some slight leg cramps during one of my off-camera sinks, but they weren't too bad, and eased off, fortunately.

:idea:
:roll: After thinking some more, I realized that perhaps I might be able to get a better view if I tried mounting the camera on the side of my head, instead of over my eye! It would be kinda like looking over and down my shoulder, and if it is positioned just right, it could capture a view of my chest! :D I would have to look into that the next time I try this, but I am uncertain when.

My next bikeride is not going to be to Harris Creek, but instead to my Edwin Lakes area pond, where I have to begin mushing up the stiffened mud in my sinking area, so that it would be nice and soft and deep for the summer. I may still have to stake a claim by a sign, to make people think that people are meeting there for camping/hiking, making it a risky spot to hide marijuana plants. :roll: I am looking at June 2'nd or 3'rd, whichever is sunnier and hotter, which at the moment would be Wednesday, June 3'rd. :roll: I might also check out the Crescent Road pond, to see if my sinking spot there is not so deeply submerged, since I had transferred a fair bit of mud to it late last season. If we get a return to unsettled weather, then I will return to Harris Creek for more sinks, but with our current hot dry spell, the slide area will likely be drying out quickly, and the cleanup basins would probably be empty. If this heat continues, I may be able to begin having deep, even underbog sinks in my higher elevation bogs earlier! :D

I will just have to wait and see what happens! :roll:
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Return to “Stories”