Bar's Match

Put fingers to keyboard and make your fantasies come to life!
Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

Bar's Match

Postby Lomax » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:45 am

Well last's week's offering seems to have sunk without trace...

This one was written for indeX (remember him?). He liked Bar's Game (see earlier) and asked if I could write about the same character again. I thought about it - but decided that, since QS was understood, I'd effectively be writing the same story again unless I gave him a worthwhile adversary. Fortunately, I had one in mind.

And DON'T ask "What about Bar's Set?"
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

Weapon X

Re: Bar's Match

Postby Weapon X » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:34 am

Wow! An intense read! I thoroughly enjoyed it! Bravo!

quagmire_uk

Postby quagmire_uk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:05 am

That was fantastic!

I was very impressed at how you made such a bastard quite charasmatic. I think you've also given Red Sonja far more character than she had in the original 80s movie! (It's been years since I saw it, but I don't recall being impressed by the characterisation and dialogue, heh.)

That was a really enjoyable read.

Oh, by the way, What about Bar's Set? :P :P :P

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:53 pm

quagmire_uk wrote:I think you've also given Red Sonja far more character than she had in the original 80s movie!

That film was truly ghastly, though it was by no means the original source of Red Sonja. She was born, as it were, in some mid-seventies Marvel comics - though her origin was a short story by Robert E Howard set during the seige of Vienna in 1529.

Oh, by the way, What about Bar's Set?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

index

Postby index » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:04 pm

A great read the second time round too :)

oh and you don't need to speak about me like I am dead and gone Lomax, i'm still lurking in the background.
indeX | where you always find the last word
http://www.destodesign.co.uk/awesomecore/quicksand/

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:09 pm

index wrote:A great read the second time round too :)

oh and you don't need to speak about me like I am dead and gone Lomax, i'm still lurking in the background.

It is nice to see you resurface once in a while, though... ;)

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Impressive. At first I did not think those two characters would make a good combination, but now I see that I was wrong. You did well to present Bar not just as a single-minded brutal villain, but as an interesting character with some depth. You made him a good match for Sonja (rather than the other way around as the title would seem imply ;)).
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

quagmire_uk

Postby quagmire_uk » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:43 pm

Lomax wrote:That film was truly ghastly, though it was by no means the original source of Red Sonja. She was born, as it were, in some mid-seventies Marvel comics - though her origin was a short story by Robert E Howard set during the seige of Vienna in 1529.

I thought it was likely she had originally appeared in something else, as I found it hard to imagine that something as daft as that movie would be the inspiration for such a good story. I figured it would probably be a set of novels, similar to Conan. I suppose I could have googled or wiki'd, heh.

jack c

Postby jack c » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:03 am

Good read - both good stories and well written. Obviously, there's no Bar's Match in the offing, unless you write ghost stories. Thanks for the good double-post.

Lomax

Postby Lomax » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:35 pm

jack c wrote:Thanks for the good double-post.

I've just noticed that I up-loaded the wrong file. The one above was intended for a pure Red Sonja site (I write fan fiction about her. She's my favourite comic character - mainly, I suspect, because she possesses an even more impressive collection of personality disorders than I do); and I combined two stories in one post in order to give the second one some context. Sorry for the repetition.

Return to “Stories”