Quicksand in my RPG Maker MV game

Includes Original Video, Animations and Flash Files. No mainstream clips please!
GothicSimmer

Quicksand in my RPG Maker MV game

Postby GothicSimmer » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:19 am

I wasn't sure where to post this at but I made a simple video testing out the quicksand mechanic in a game I am making in RPG Maker MV. Currently I need to get the right tile to use for quicksand tiles as well as some background sounds/sound effects for quicksand.

In my game, quicksand exists as a hazard where the player will sink and move slower, and begin taking damage after 20 seconds pass without getting out of the quicksand. Here are the 3 stages:
First stage: you move slightly slower and have 10 seconds to get out of the quicksand. When 10 seconds pass, you get to stage 2.
2nd stage: You move even more slower than stage 1 and have 10 seconds to get out of the quicksand. When 10 seconds pass, you get to stage 3.
3rd stage: You move slower than stage 2 and all characters continue to take 250 HP damage until they reach 0 HP or get out of the quicksand.

Here are two images, one showing the Events I set up and another showing the message when you start sinking in quicksand. I had to upload the images to my Sta.sh at DA since Quicksand Fans won't let me attach the images for some unknown reason.

If you want to see a short video of it in action, you can download and watch the video I made.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

quagmire_uk

Re: Quicksand in my RPG Maker MV game

Postby quagmire_uk » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Once you've done sprites for the character being half submerged in the quicksand, could work quite nicely!

It could be interesting if rather than being purely time based (after 10 seconds it moves to stage 2, then after 10 seconds it moves to stage 3) is if there was also some random number generator aspect to it. That way a player could think they could cross a small quicksand pool, and then get surprised when they sink and hit stage 2 after only 5 seconds. So have it so it could take anywhere between 5 and 15 seconds to hit stage 2, and again between 5 and 15 seconds to hit stage 3.

It'll make the quicksand unpredictable and a risk each time the player encounters it. If it is a very small pool they should be fine, as they can get across in under 10 seconds so there's no chance of them hitting stage 3. But if it is a large pool it'll be a gamble whether they can get across or not. One time they get across, they do some objective, then they have to backtrack, and they get caught in the quicksand on the way back.

Garbage Dump Angel

Postby Garbage Dump Angel » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:29 pm

This includes the graphical sinking bit, see if it interests you.

Boggyhoo

Postby Boggyhoo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Garbage Dump Angel wrote:This includes the graphical sinking bit, see if it interests you.

Nice group thing.

BH

Return to “Home Movies”