Incredible tidal mud (first person perspective!)

Includes Original Video, Animations and Flash Files. No mainstream clips please!
Rickington

Incredible tidal mud (first person perspective!)

Postby Rickington » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:42 pm

Yesterday, I attempted to go to a mudflat that was six miles away via kayak. Unfortunately, the current got a little strong when I was on the last mile... so I never made it to the massive flat, but did end up enjoying a nice mud bank before paddling back home.

This mud was amazingly smooth and gooey... but only waist deep, but it was wet enough that you could easily sit in it so that your entire body would be two feet under the surface :D

https://youtu.be/UNGox299oEA

https://youtu.be/juwzdTxShu8

Note: PLEASE DO NOT ADD THIS VIDEO TO A PUBLIC PLAYLIST

DeepSink

Re: Incredible tidal mud (first person perspective!)

Postby DeepSink » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:12 am

Awesome mud, Rickington. It looks like you had a great time --except for those damned bugs!
We have similar tide flats on the west coast, too, and I've had some fun sinking sessions in them. My favorite is river mud, though. The best tide flats I've found are just not secluded enough for me to really let myself go. On the other hand, I've found some great private spots :mrgreen: along tributaries to the Columbia river. -DeepSink

Lintime Sinker

Postby Lintime Sinker » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:02 pm

The one person view is good but can u take also 3rd view ?

Rickington

Postby Rickington » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:48 pm

Lintime Sinker wrote:The one person view is good but can u take also 3rd view ?

Maybe next time, I'm trying to figure out face blur solutions for that

mudfun

Postby mudfun » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:17 am

You are the lucky one. Me I use to make a mud hole in my back yard - I am too old for the digging part now so no place to enjoy a good sink. I have to start exploring some areas during low tide. I have looked before but have not found anything more than knee deep. May never get the chance to sink again.
Looking for a real place to sink, Long Island, NY

mud_dreamer

Postby mud_dreamer » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:37 am

Thanks for posting this Rickington. I plan to experience tidal mud someday.

That's very interesting that the outgoing tide there can create a strong enough current to make it difficult to paddle a kayak against.

Rickington

Postby Rickington » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:20 pm

mud_dreamer wrote:Thanks for posting this Rickington. I plan to experience tidal mud someday.

That's very interesting that the outgoing tide there can create a strong enough current to make it difficult to paddle a kayak against.

There are a number of factors that can have a huge effect on currents. Usually the current is strongest near peak tides. In my case, it's a N/S current, so at my new spot, I usually launch from an area that is due west of the spot. I've never really encountered a strong current at my newest spot, but at other spots, I've encountered strong currents that basically make my effective paddling speed 0 knots :(

Return to “Home Movies”