More Deep Peaty Sinkiness

Includes Original Video, Animations and Flash Files. No mainstream clips please!
Nessie
Producer

More Deep Peaty Sinkiness

Postby Nessie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:40 am

I'm back with a new attack on the new mudpit. We have STILL got a temperature problem, believe it or not (and I am pretty disgusted with Mother Nature at this point!) which I tried to conquer by wearing a wetsuit top. I had mixed results with this...I really couldn't keep my arms in for long, because it was just plain too cold, and my legs were chilling too (should have put some pants on under those waders).

But I managed to get in almost neck-deep and, okay, you can't see this but my tippy-toes STILL CAN'T FIND BOTTOM!

Whooo! Wheeee! Now, if we can just get about fifteen more degrees in there, that's gonna be one sinky quicksand pit!

I even think you could even film a video at it! A real quicksand video, that is!

Well, you could if it warmed up! If it doesn't, though...then that's the end of that idea!

For the second clip, I've finally managed to ditch the waders. That is because the second, smaller, not-quite-so-sinky mudpit is in the sun. It's small in diameter and there's a few obstructions on the way down, but hey...at least I got some skin in there...

Nessie

jack c

Re: More Deep Peaty Sinkiness

Postby jack c » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:13 am

Wow - both good clips! I agree, the first (cold) location is video-worthy due to its breadth and (apparently) depth, and the good surface motion that it generates. The second (warmer) location, while small and as such not as film-able, is still remarkable in its depth. Either there is a definite geographical difference, or I am a total dunce, because I cannot find three square feet this deep anywhere in SE Pennsylvania that I have looked - too rocky and too developed/crowded.

I went out today, in a rare (for me with a lot of family activities - welcome but encompassing) outing at the best Google-satellite and driving-around location in the county, Marsh Creek, north of the PA Turnpike - (with a name like that, you'd expect something good) and the best I got was a thigh-deep, kneel and you're chest-deep situation, which was OK, but pales in comparison to any of your posted recent clips. Maybe I just need to drive to Springsteen's "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey" to find what you have found.

Thanks for continuing to post your outings - I have enjoyed every clip, and I'm sure others do, too. Again, you do remarkable things with just one "actress" and one camera.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks for these, Nessie! They are lovely. :)

Trouble with us in the northern climes is how long the mud itself takes to warm up... there have been times when the weather is 25 C and sunny, yet the muck is still so cold I'd need to turn on the car heaters on the way home to warm up... Sounds like the makings of a case for CSI, huh? "How did this guy freeze to death in the middle of a heat wave?" ;)
I've learned it is best for me to wait to the end of June, early July before heading out on an expedition... and then my season is pretty well done by Labor Day... sigh. Biut I do manage to fit in some quality time in that short timespan... :D

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:12 am

jack c wrote:Wow - both good clips! I agree, the first (cold) location is video-worthy due to its breadth and (apparently) depth, and the good surface motion that it generates. The second (warmer) location, while small and as such not as film-able, is still remarkable in its depth. Either there is a definite geographical difference, or I am a total dunce, because I cannot find three square feet this deep anywhere in SE Pennsylvania that I have looked - too rocky and too developed/crowded.

I have never been to Pennsylvania and can't advise! I doubt very much that you are a dunce, though!

I have a lot of time into finding my places. I try to tell people when they ask me about this that it's not an immediate-gratification kind of project.

the best I got was a thigh-deep, kneel and you're chest-deep situation, which was OK, but pales in comparison to any of your posted recent clips. Maybe I just need to drive to Springsteen's "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey" to find what you have found.

I can make thigh-deep work fine. Kneeling is what I mostly do in the coldest weather. I do need to control depth very securely during that time of year.

This is the deepest place I've found by myself. I got back again today but figured that it was time to give the wader-clip thing a break and just enjoy it for myself. I don't want the clips to all look alike.

Nessie

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:17 am

PM2K wrote:I've learned it is best for me to wait to the end of June, early July before heading out on an expedition... and then my season is pretty well done by Labor Day... sigh. Biut I do manage to fit in some quality time in that short timespan... :D

Yeah, we warmed up nice today and I was sweltering hot in the sun. But that particular spot is gonna take a bit to get there. It's in the shade (I guess you can all see that). I am exploring to see if the same area has anything deep that's not under all those trees.

It probably does. Just, getting around in all the weeds and boingy areas is a major project.

Like you, I try to fit in the quality time when I can. Without cold-weather gear, my season isn't significantly longer than yours!

Nessie

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:20 am

sydneycarton03 wrote:wow these are great clips, your sinking spots look fun

I'm glad you are enjoying them. Have another...it's pretty short, though. I got down to the "cold limit" 'til I had to pop back up.

Nessie

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:34 am

:D

Yaaay! Nessie got deep!

I missed a chance today- it was officially hot here, and I was roasting to death after three hours of tending horses and building fence. A nice cool bog would have felt SO good. Still not quite comfortable doing a sink while my 13 year old is home, though. :oops:
Ah, well, she will go off with her friends sometime during the summer. And- there is August, and Studio 588. 8-) I presume you want a video postcard?
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:50 am

nachtjaeger wrote::D

Yaaay! Nessie got deep!

DeepER off-camera but in my cold-weather mud gear still. Wader-limit is about chest-deep. Float point has turned out to be just above waist-deep, so even without a bottom underfoot, it is controllable.

I figured the waders were getting boring, though, so I shot a clip with skin out for you guys.

[quote}Ah, well, she will go off with her friends sometime during the summer. And- there is August, and Studio 588. 8-) I presume you want a video postcard?[/quote]

Well, I do have some jealousy toward you since you mentioned that you actually had sinking matter on your property. As to video postcards from guys on the forum -- I never say no to that!

If you're going to hit the Studio, I highly recommend the claypit. Mind you, not for the sake of my video postcard (although it's my favorite pit)...just, I want you to be happy.

Nessie

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:39 am

I am so proud to call this lady my friend. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

poolshark

Postby poolshark » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:06 am

I have always found it thrilling to bounce up and down on the firm ground with soft mud underneath like in the first four seconds of the warmer mud video. I like to sort of pretend to walk on it and suddenly, by total oblivious accident ;) , fall through and just have the sort of "element of suprise". All in all very nice vids, your a lucky gal :)

Return to “Home Movies”