PMs Not Available For Some Recently Added Accounts

Can't get something here at Quicksand Fans to work? Post your issue here.
dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

PMs Not Available For Some Recently Added Accounts

Postby dlodoski » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:08 am

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to notify the board that some steps are being taken to protect the regular members here.

This is due to complaints of malicious PM and board email activity by new members. When we dug into this, it was discovered that dozens of fake accounts have been opened in the last year or so. There's really nothing to prevent this. Consider it a Tragedy of the Commons.

So, while we try to sort out real members from fake ones, we'll have to play it safe and limit the abilities of new members.

Thanks,

Dave
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

BogDog

Re: PMs Not Available For Some Recently Added Accounts

Postby BogDog » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:10 am

Maybe a test during sign-up to prove they are human: https://www.a2hosting.com/blog/implemen ... n-website/
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

QuicksandMania

Postby QuicksandMania » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Many years ago on an unrelated board I ran using this same software, the spammers got so bad that I finally just forced all newcomers to register by hand through me.

Good luck.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:19 am

It's not a case of bots, but rather one of bad behavior.

I mentioned 'The Tragedy of the Commons' because it roughly fits the situation. The resource is free for all practical purposes. (It's obviously not really, the board costs over $250 a year to operate). But signing up is free, and so is posting and downloading.

But after trying to be tolerant (it truly doesn't pay to be nice to some people), we now are not.

So folks with good intentions can sign up and post and enjoy the board - and thank the losers old and new for having to wait for their posts to be approved.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Wed May 09, 2018 3:39 pm

assholes.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Andi_Ger

Postby Andi_Ger » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:21 pm

hey,

So I am a new user and wanted to ask how this procedure is going on to get the "approved state".

Is this a matter of time or do I have to do something specific like introduce my self to the community?

Andi

Postby Moderator » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:52 am

There is no procedure for that.

Black Clay Lord

Postby Black Clay Lord » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:23 pm

I've been making use of it for a couple days, but only to say hello and speak with a few faces I haven't spoken to in a while. Years even. Nothing malicious from me at all. Yet, now I can't. Is it because of a precautionary thing? When can one be able to use PMs again? I ask because I'm just highly curious. With a hint of somewhat frustrated.
There is but one certainty - every end marks a new beginning. "—and methodically knocking peoples' hats off. Then I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I ca—"

Postby Moderator » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:02 am

The system used to place new members in the probation group is a manual one. So there is necessarily some delay in that.

It really hasn't been a known issue. Even so, our apologies for any confusion that has occurred.

Black Clay Lord

Postby Black Clay Lord » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:13 am

I see. So I haven't done anything wrong to be within the probation group then? Because truth be told: I never WAS one to spam, troll, or even send malicious links to others. I don't know how to do either really, for I'm too nice for it. At any rate, no worries on the confusion. Still, hope I can get back to chatting with my friends here though, but, no pressure there. I'm not good at pressuring people either.
There is but one certainty - every end marks a new beginning. "—and methodically knocking peoples' hats off. Then I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I ca—"

Return to “Technical”