Opening a new clips store

Can't get something here at Quicksand Fans to work? Post your issue here.
myliefan99

Opening a new clips store

Postby myliefan99 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi guys,

I really hope this is in the right forum, if not I apologise. It seemed most apt.

So a friend and I are discussing plans to open a new clips4sale store, where a key theme is to be quicksand/being stuck. One day I hope to be able to advertise/post updates on here for you guys along with some free previews (assuming that this pans out), but for the moment we've got to sort the technicalities.
My first question is about copyright; when you are the owner of videos and you post them to the website, what prevents other users from, once they're downloaded your clips, simply posting them to YouTube or other file sharing websites?
My second question is about recording equipment; will a standard digital camera do? We'd be low budget, so we can't afford expensive recording equipment.

Thanks all, looking forward to replies!

Nessie
Producer

Re: Opening a new clips store

Postby Nessie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:12 am

myliefan99 wrote:My first question is about copyright; when you are the owner of videos and you post them to the website, what prevents other users from, once they're downloaded your clips, simply posting them to YouTube or other file sharing websites?

Nothing.

You'll have to police YouTube yourself. Mostly, though, they'll be dumb enough to tag it "quicksand", and you'll find your own clip on a search right away.

You can try pounding the offender with complaints if you feel like giving them a chance to remove it on their own.

Or, you can just complain to YouTube. They'll take it down soon after you prove that it's yours.

My second question is about recording equipment; will a standard digital camera do? We'd be low budget, so we can't afford expensive recording equipment.

They didn't care about my cheap little camera -- so go for it!

I'd be more concerned about the minimums they have. They require you to post a new clip every so often and you have to have at least five uploaded before you'll even be listed on a search; they also have minimum pricing.

Plus, quicksand folk don't seem to browse there much.

After selling very little, I left Clips4Sale and went to UMD.net, where my clips did a lot better, and there are lower pricing minimums and no clip minimums.

Whatever you do, be sure to read all the terms and conditions.

Nessie

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:13 am

myliefan99 wrote:Hi guys,

My first question is about copyright; when you are the owner of videos and you post them to the website, what prevents other users from, once they're downloaded your clips, simply posting them to YouTube or other file sharing websites?

Thanks all, looking forward to replies!

Like Nessie says, nothing. However, file sharing sites of all flavors are actively patrolled and the offenders are taken to task with the greatest energy that can be brought. Ultimately though file sharing is a self defeating exercise. Profits margins are very little in a very competitive and saturated field. As thieves, and this is what they are, take away the incentive for producers to make more they will have less and less to share.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

myliefan99

Postby myliefan99 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks for your replies,

True, filesharing is difficult to make a profit with, but I suppose doing it will make you more money than not doing it, not to mention the supply of a service.
I just had a quick look at UMD and was a bit overwhelmed, haha :p It looks like a good alternative, though my only issue would be that not all of our clips would involve quicksand or sticky messes; we're trying to hit a range of audiences, but would non-quicksand etc clips be allowed up, if we had quicksand related clips on there?
I'd have preferred to make a DVD, of course, but I doubt we'd have the resources/time to make a DVD from the off. Hopefully/maybe in the future. Would need you guys to buy our stuff first ;) :p

myliefan99

Postby myliefan99 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Hey again,

how long does it usually take for a clip to be approved? I uploaded a short test clip nearly a week ago and its still "pending"...

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:25 am

myliefan99 wrote:Hey again,

how long does it usually take for a clip to be approved? I uploaded a short test clip nearly a week ago and its still "pending"...

There's no set approval timetable, but that is kind of long. Consider poking Messmaster about it if it doesn't happen soon.

Nessie

myliefan99

Postby myliefan99 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:40 pm

Typical; right after I ask how long it'll take its done :p it finished last night. Am I allowed to link it here? It's only about 45 seconds long and $1, but its a bit of a pilot clip, really :p If the link isn't allowed them please, feel free to remove it or request that I do.

http://umd.net/downloads/producer/sink_stuck_and_sticky

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:47 pm

myliefan99 wrote:Typical; right after I ask how long it'll take its done :p it finished last night. Am I allowed to link it here? It's only about 45 seconds long and $1, but its a bit of a pilot clip, really :p If the link isn't allowed them please, feel free to remove it or request that I do.

http://umd.net/downloads/producer/sink_stuck_and_sticky

You should probably consider posting about this in the Other Producers forum.

It's not so much that mentioning it here is incorrect, but rather that not a lot of folks visit this particular area of the board when they're looking for stuff.

In any case, congratulations on your start!

Dave
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Return to “Technical”