On Windows 7 Release Candidate 1

Can't get something here at Quicksand Fans to work? Post your issue here.
reisen55

On Windows 7 Release Candidate 1

Postby reisen55 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:17 pm

IF you have a large collection of pictures (and this place abounds in those who collect like mad) ... let me post a technical warning.

I experimented with Windows 7 RC1 two days ago - works fine, a few bugs here and there but overall not bad and better than the curse of Vista. However, I also had a 1 terabyte drive attached with two partition on it as a secondary drive. IF you have collections of stuff on your computer in this manner - pull the cables on the secondary drive BEFORE you do Windows 7.

The thing also touched my lower drive and detonated one of two 500gb partitions. Fortunately, I think around these issues and have a complete secondary storage system that I was able to use for a 30 minute restoration run and, also, am very good at restoration of Windows XP.

Be careful friends if you have a precious qsand picture collection in such a place.

Aiko

Re: On Windows 7 Release Candidate 1

Postby Aiko » Fri May 08, 2009 6:24 am

reisen55 wrote:The thing also touched my lower drive and detonated one of two 500gb partitions.

And I had heard Windows 7 was already very usable and stable. :shock: :shock:

What exactly do you mean by "detonated"? Was the partition simply gone or were the files on it unreadable...?

Thanks for the warning!
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

reisen55

Postby reisen55 » Fri May 08, 2009 6:01 pm

The odd thing was that the partition was rendered comatose according to Partition Magic, usually the default reference on everything. The name of the partition was converted from 'STORAGE' to " $0$ " --- not good. Windows XP when it came up touched the partition and collapsed. Refused to even load.

So I would now err on the safe side and install Windows 7 on a ONE DRIVE system for diagnostics only.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri May 08, 2009 9:03 pm

Look, Windows 7 is not a finished product. Even after general release I won't touch it until Bill Gates has let the world debug it and released a couple of service packs, a hundred security updates, and all the other patches, fixes, and upgrades, that will ultimately be required. Until then, and only after a trial of my own, I will treat it as though it might burn my house down just by taking it out of the box. I sure won't put it on a drive with anything I care about until then. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

rgadt

Postby rgadt » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:50 am

I've just now started collecting parts for our next home computer, with the intention of installing RC1 on it, and tinkering around with it to see how well it works. I have a brand new WD 500GB drive to install it on. It should get nowhere near my archive drive on my current system until the retail version is installed, whenever that is I know the RC1 is only good until June 2010 but this is only a trial anyway. What can you expect to get for free from Microsoft anyway? :roll: :geek:
rgadt

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:42 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:Look, Windows 7 is not a finished product. Even after general release I won't touch it until Bill Gates has let the world debug it and released a couple of service packs, a hundred security updates, and all the other patches, fixes, and upgrades, that will ultimately be required. Until then, and only after a trial of my own, I will treat it as though it might burn my house down just by taking it out of the box. I sure won't put it on a drive with anything I care about until then. 8-)

Totally agreed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, no Windows product is finished till at least 6 months and two service packs after it's released. Buy it before then and all you're doing is beta testing it for Microsoft at your own expense.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Sekani

Postby Sekani » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:55 pm

Hey, I don't mind being Microsoft's guinea pig, especially when the reward is an OS that's light years better than Windows Vista free for a year.

The topic creator's problem sounds like an isolated occurrence. I have multiple drives/partitions on my machine as well, and neither my tech-savvy friends nor myself have had an issue with drives mysteriously being corrupted.

Return to “Technical”