Issues with Internet Exploere 8

Can't get something here at Quicksand Fans to work? Post your issue here.
Badger

Issues with Internet Exploere 8

Postby Badger » Mon May 25, 2009 7:40 am

With the most recent update to Internet Explorer, sometimes I am unable to get past the splash page - clicking the link to http://www.quicksandfans.com/bb takes me back to the splash page, and not to the board. But sometimes it works. Don't know what's up, but wanted to mention that.

Boggy Man

Re: Issues with Internet Exploere 8

Postby Boggy Man » Mon May 25, 2009 8:07 am

Badger wrote:With the most recent update to Internet Explorer, sometimes I am unable to get past the splash page - clicking the link to http://www.quicksandfans.com/bb takes me back to the splash page, and not to the board. But sometimes it works. Don't know what's up, but wanted to mention that.

I use Firefox, and up until a few weeks back, I used to be able to enter www.quicksandfans.com/bb directly and bypass the splash page, something which I liked to do, since my mom often is in her craft room here in the basement, sometimes in sight of the computer while I am on it. When she is in view of the computer, I tend to avoid any big pix with qs in them, and view them later when she is gone upstairs for the night, or when she closes the door, or sits where she isn't in view of the computer.

Then one night, things went well, with me bypassing the splash page, and then getting the "View new posts" pages 1 and 2 in separate tabs. I first went through the second page with the oldest postings, and everything went well. But, when I started to click the thread links for the first page to open them up in new tabs, all the threads took me to the splash page! :shock: Every time I tried accessing a thread, I kept on getting the splash page! :x I then finally decided to just "enter", and got back to the newest posts, and the threads loaded normally, although almost all of the unread postings in those threads were no longer marked as unread. But, since that evening, I have never been able to bypass the splash page when I use /bb, which makes me nervous whenever my mom is in her sewing room. :oops:
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri May 29, 2009 4:35 am

Regarding the splash page issue, your login cookies expire every two weeks and you will automatically be taken back to the opening page. I suspect this was the problem reported by Boggyman. I haven't played with IE 8 yet and until Bill Gates has had time to let the rest of the world debug it, I don't plan to. My best advice would be to make sure you have all the latest patches and fixes loaded, latest version of all the plugins like Adobe Flash, etc., and the latest version of Java loaded. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Kookus

Postby Kookus » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:07 am

Indeed. Remember, also, if you're a paranoid nit like myself and have your browser set to flush your cache on logout, you'll be directed to the splash page on each visit.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Sekani

Postby Sekani » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:58 pm

Try changing your bookmark to http://www.quicksandfans.com/bb/index.php; that may work to bypass the splash page with more regularity.

Return to “Technical”