Is this supposed to happen?

Can't get something here at Quicksand Fans to work? Post your issue here.
BSink42

Is this supposed to happen?

Postby BSink42 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 am

Okay my computer crashed out on me and as I was trying to log back into the boards I kept getting the index page over and over and over again. Last time this happened I had no problem with getting past the index page to get back in. Is there some sort of bug or something?

Duncan Edwards

Re: Is this supposed to happen?

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:14 am

BSink42 wrote:Okay my computer crashed out on me and as I was trying to log back into the boards I kept getting the index page over and over and over again. Last time this happened I had no problem with getting past the index page to get back in. Is there some sort of bug or something?

Nothing I'm aware of. Can you be more specific about what "crashed"? Was it your browser? The entire OS? Hardware failure? What browser are you using? What address do you use to get back to the board? If you are going to http://www.quicksandfans.com try this -http://www.quicksandfans.com/bb/
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

BSink42

Postby BSink42 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:27 am

Computer (screen and all) completely froze up and I had to just switch it off using the physical off button to restart it. I used both addresses to try and get back into the boards and I still kept getting the index page. I finally had to go into my email and use the link from when I first signed up to get back on and log back in.

Edit: Forgot to add, that this has happened once or twice before, but I've been able to get back onto the boards just fine. This is the first time I was stuck on the index page without being able to go beyond it. Not even refreshing the page helped.
Last edited by BSink42 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:31 am

BSink42 wrote:Computer (screen and all) completely froze up and I had to just switch it off using the physical off button to restart it. I used both addresses to try and get back into the boards and I still kept getting the index page. I finally had to go into my email and use the link from when I first signed up to get back on and log back in.

Still need a lot more info than what you are providing in order to be helpful?

What OS? Browser? Address you are using that is successful? What address isn't working? At least all that.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

BSink42

Postby BSink42 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:33 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:
BSink42 wrote:Computer (screen and all) completely froze up and I had to just switch it off using the physical off button to restart it. I used both addresses to try and get back into the boards and I still kept getting the index page. I finally had to go into my email and use the link from when I first signed up to get back on and log back in.

Still need a lot more info than what you are providing in order to be helpful?

What OS? Browser? Address you are using that is successful? What address isn't working? At least all that.

Windows Vista, IE9, and neither address was successful in getting me past the index page. I finally had to use my original activation link to get into the forums themselves and then log in from there.

YerK

Postby YerK » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:51 pm

Sometimes, when I try to boot the quicksandfans page, I get a sort of text-only version. When that happens, I make sure I've got all of "www.quicksandfans.com/index.html" typed in, and that has (I think) always got the page up right.

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:09 am

YerK wrote:Sometimes, when I try to boot the quicksandfans page, I get a sort of text-only version. When that happens, I make sure I've got all of "www.quicksandfans.com/index.html" typed in, and that has (I think) always got the page up right.

I am fairly certain that when you see a text-only version of this or any other website what has happened is the style sheet has failed to load. Most modern web pages place all of the code related to style in a separate file from the rest of the code. This makes things like updates MUCH easier and it makes things such as the colorscheme used in a site such as this to be possible. I have seen the same thing happen, occasionally with several news sites I follow such as abcnews.com, cnn.cm, and nbcnews.com. If the phenomena is a transient glitch then simply re-loading the site usually fixes it.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Return to “Technical”