Browsing and the BACK button

Can't get something here at Quicksand Fans to work? Post your issue here.
Chimerix

Browsing and the BACK button

Postby Chimerix » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:02 am

Aloha!

One thing that I really don't care for here is that when I hit the "back" button on my browser, the list of threads and forums remains un-updated regarding what I've viewed.

It's particularly annoying if I try to take advantage of the "View New Posts" feature. I click that, and get a list of new posts. So far, so good. Then I click on a thread, take a look at it, and want to go back to the list.

If I click "Back," I get right back to the list, but it's not updated to show I've read a thread.

My only other route back from the thread is to click "Return to _____ forum," then click "Return to index," then click "View new posts" again. Which gives me an updated list, but involved 3 clicks and some scrolling to accomplish.

Most of the forums I follow update the status of threads when I hit the "back" button. Makes running thru the list of new threads a lot more enjoyable! Any idea why it doesn't work here?

Mahalo!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Boggy Man

Re: Browsing and the BACK button

Postby Boggy Man » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:00 am

Chimerix wrote:Aloha!

One thing that I really don't care for here is that when I hit the "back" button on my browser, the list of threads and forums remains un-updated regarding what I've viewed.

It's particularly annoying if I try to take advantage of the "View New Posts" feature. I click that, and get a list of new posts. So far, so good. Then I click on a thread, take a look at it, and want to go back to the list.

If I click "Back," I get right back to the list, but it's not updated to show I've read a thread.

My only other route back from the thread is to click "Return to _____ forum," then click "Return to index," then click "View new posts" again. Which gives me an updated list, but involved 3 clicks and some scrolling to accomplish.

Most of the forums I follow update the status of threads when I hit the "back" button. Makes running thru the list of new threads a lot more enjoyable! Any idea why it doesn't work here?

Mahalo!

How about clicking the "reload page" button on your web browser?
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:08 am

That would also work, and require 2 mouse clicks instead of 3. However, 1 mouse click would sure be nice! It works that way on most of the other forums I frequent, including others powered by phb.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:27 pm

Chimerix wrote:Most of the forums I follow update the status of threads when I hit the "back" button. Makes running thru the list of new threads a lot more enjoyable! Any idea why it doesn't work here?

I'm a bit surprised by the 'most of the forums' part here. Honestly, I never seen any forums that update the status when I use "back" button. I always update it manually.

From what I know about Opera browser that I use, it will not update the page without pressing "reload" button. This is done intentionally, to reduce the bandwidth and to speed-up the loading of pages. Maybe other browsers behave a different way, I don't know. I use Firefox under Solaris at work, and I also always have to reload pages manually, but I don't visit so many forums there.
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:07 am

Ok, I've actually been paying attention to what I do, instead of trying to remember. And, for most forums, I don't use the 'back' button after all. Most of the ones I frequent have a "new posts" link at the top of every page, and THAT's what I'm hitting to get back to the list after reading a thread. Which, of course, re-updates when it loads.

So instead of miraculously recoding the site and my web browser for auto-refresh-on-back capability, could we possibly have a "new posts" search on the header for threads?

Kookus

Postby Kookus » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:15 pm

Fixed.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:38 pm

Mahalo!

Such a little thing, but it makes me so happy!!

Return to “Technical”