Quick YouTube Clip (f, submerge)

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
Nessie
Producer

Re: Quick YouTube Clip (f, submerge)

Postby Nessie » Fri May 19, 2017 9:45 pm

tanya_wam wrote:when trying to do right!

No, you cannot possibly always know who has done what. It's on us producers to recognize these. There are so many clips and so many models by now that even as a longtime member, I do not recognize every clip that has been shot by one of us.

There is another way than posting, though. When you don't know what to do, hit "report" on the post and fill out the form. Everyone on the mod list gets a copy of it and nobody on the forum sees you do it. It's a secret.

You get a notification when they decide what to do and close the report.

I'm not one of the mods now. But I'm sorry if my own response was snarky. It wasn't you.

Nessie

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 pm

tanya_wam wrote: You want us fans to be vigilant. Be a bit decent about our attempts to try, huh? :evil:

I know exactly how you feel. A little while back, I tried to start a discussion about piracy. It was on my mind, since I was working on clips that would soon be in circulation. The post got deleted. Apparently there was an extra-snarky reply from a Mod, because several people contacted me directly to say words to the effect of "Sorry about what that Mod said, you didn't deserve that." Since the post got taken down before I saw said comment, I'll never know if it was deserved or not. But I felt the same way... recognize when people are trying to help!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Sat May 20, 2017 6:21 am

There is a certain level of frustration felt by the moderating effort here when long time members seem oblivious to the repeated pleas to refrain from posting links to pirated content.

In this case, a 'nugget' was outed as pirated content. And following that, the original poster added a link to the Youtube channel in question. A clear case of insult on top of injury.

Short of adding an admonishment to the forum description regarding potential 'producer' content at Youtube (which would dampen the spirit of things), I can only suggest that if a clip looks particularly enticing to our interest here, it most likely is not incidental, and should be deemed likely to be pirated.

The thing to do at that point is send a PM inquiry to a moderator with the link in question and find out if it's legit or not.

The producers here have collectively lost thousands of dollars in revenue to pirating. And yes, posts containing links to, or mentions of, egregious cases of pirating, will be vaporized with no notice.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Mr Mudster

Postby Mr Mudster » Mon May 22, 2017 1:26 pm

I had no idea that the clip was pirated, or else I would not have posted it.

However, I am becoming increasingly frustrated with the near Draconian attitudes from moderators and producers on this site. As someone who has been a member of this community for almost 20 years (starting with a modem downloading from and uploading to USENET feeds late at night) I am abhorred by the way things are handled.

Yes, I've reported may pirated videos to the producers. And I'll also flag them when I see them on YouTube and other sites. But, seriously folks, do we really want to chase people away from QSF by being complete assholes with the way these posts are handled publicly?

A much better (MUCH BETTER) response would have been deleting the link from the original post, offering a reason why it was deleted, and then LOCKING the goddamed thread!

Yes, I'm pissed! And I'm embarrassed about posting this in the first place. But you can damned well believe that this will be the LAST contribution of any sort that I make to QSF other than commenting on posts. I'll upload no more videos, photos, stories or anything else. Period. The way this was handled was absurd, and I just hope that those in "power" will realize that.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Mon May 22, 2017 2:22 pm

Personally, I feel that locking threads is bad. It shows weakness, not strength. That's why it is done here seldomly, compared to past community experiences.

The original link was removed *after* there were multiple comments visible about the clip in question being pirated. So, no explanation was warranted. I admit, joining the discussion later, and zeroing in on the original post, it's easy to miss this.

I can't speak for Moderator. But I do take exception to the fact that he did write "Please" on his comment - a very meaningful word which was left out when he was quoted. That's not right.

I think he was imploring someone to slow down and read the previous posts and take in the meaning of what the producers are asking for.

This is a very important issue. So much so that there are discussions about how to approach this from a technical point of view, so that the hard work of the producers can be protected as much as possible, and hopefully without feelings getting hurt.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

norm

Postby norm » Mon May 22, 2017 2:32 pm

Yall are milking this for all it's worth. It's not a big deal. Tanya messed up and a mod snapped back out of frustration over something which seemed obvious to them.

Now, I work in retail, and I'm aware that yall may be simply attempting to pity-party your way to free stuff from the producers. If that's the case, I suppose there is nothing I can say to sway you from your rambling. But if that's not the case I recommend you simply take a breath and let it go. Yall have spent far too much time on one incredibly weak insult from a disgruntled moderator who was attempting to prevent actual illegal activities.

Postby Moderator » Tue May 23, 2017 6:38 am

Whimper noted.

We're done here.

Return to “Nuggets”