Quicksand in Space

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
Robert
Producer

Quicksand in Space

Postby Robert » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:38 pm

In the early 60's Tops card company put out a card set documenting the early space program of the USA. The front of the cards had actual photos of the astronauts, rockets, recovery, etc...

I remembered this card and have been searching for it for a long time and finally found it in my collection. If you should have 3'd glasses it should still work.

Enjoy!

Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Robert on Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The card company was Tops not Fleer

PM2K
Always Remembered

Re: Quicksand in Space

Postby PM2K » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:42 pm

Cool! Now that is different... :D

muckman

Postby muckman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:34 am

Oh Yes! I remember this one when I was a kid. I collected those cards at one time, had the glasses to go with them too. Almost choked on the chewing gum when I saw it! LOL

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:03 am

Last edited by bart1997 on Sat May 09, 2015 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert
Producer

Postby Robert » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:38 am

bart1997 wrote:Huh, so what is that?
Did those NASA-Folks really expected something like "quickdust" after landing on the moon?

My opinion: "Fascinating" (with a raised eyebrow)

The back of the cards was more Si-Fi then fact. But then again they had not gotten to the moon yet when they made the card set. 8-)

Robert

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:55 pm

bart1997 wrote:Huh, so what is that?
Did those NASA-Folks really expected something like "quickdust" after landing on the moon?

My opinion: "Fascinating" (with a raised eyebrow)

An actual concern among some scientists was the lunar surface being covered with vast areas of moon dust that lay undisturbed for millenia. Since there was no moisture to make it adhere they theorized it could produce "quicksand" on the moon. It was a staple of science fiction at the time and I recall being surprised with a great depiction of it in Mouse on the Moon starring Peter Sellars. After the landing of Surveyor III in April 1967 we knew it was only the stuff of Hollywood. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Tim Kelly

Postby Tim Kelly » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Actually it was Bernard Cribbins in "Mouse On The Moon"; Peter Sellers played the same character in the previous film in the series, "The Mouse That Roared".
"Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh! Quicksand! I'm sinking! I'll go straight to the bottom of.......GLURP!"
(a month later)
"Ugh! Yukkkh! Ptui! I'm out of it! I'm free! Not even quicksand can defeat the power of.....the Eye of Zoltec!"

Return to “Nuggets”