-

Share Your Media Finds! Includes scans and incidental on-topic images, as well as links to on-topic items at photo and video sharing sites. Material created by the community should be posted in the Member Submissions forums. Information Nuggets go to General Discussion.
bart1997

-

Postby bart1997 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:54 pm

Last edited by bart1997 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nessie
Producer

Re: New Bog-Experiment on german TV

Postby Nessie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:34 am

Holy schmoly, he had an awful time getting out!

He'd have flooded chest waders if he'd have worn them. He needed warmer weather. Judging from the way he was dressed, it probably pretty cool out there. If you have to wear that much while still walking through air, going into mud will chill you to the bone.

He still got stuck awful bad. What's scary is, this doesn't look any different from some bogs I've gone right into, on purpose.

I wonder what the difference is. I did note that he was wearing regular shoes, and I no longer ever, ever wear real shoes. I've never actually not been able to get out but when I started out, I had a big problem with shoes staying behind. I even lost one in a pit that was only knee-deep.

I guess the other thing I can think of is, maybe you just gotta learn how to get out of this stuff. That is a very deep bog to start somebody out on.

I threw the website into Babel Fish. Apparently they tested the bog because they've gotten way too many dead bodies out of it. Also, the bodies they show in the clip (ick!) are a bit of a clue.

That sure did look like a nasty mean bog.

Nessie

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:56 am

bart1997 wrote:He is always complaining about getting colder and colder, i wonder why they didn't equip him with some high waders like his companion.

According to the readout shown on the digital thermometer, the temperature of the bog was 8.2˚C, or 46.8˚F! It is no wonder he was complaining about the cold! :shock:
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

bart1997

-

Postby bart1997 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:12 am

-
Last edited by bart1997 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:09 am

bart1997 wrote:Yes indeed, the scientist explaines how that water/peat mixture below the surface can hold this steady temperature regardless of summers heat or a freezing winter. They also further explain that the danger of sinking in boglands is therefore exhaustion.

Thanks for translating. I can't understand a word those guys say.

BRRR!

(Actually, I do sink in cold mud. On purpose, too. But it takes some pretty carefully-put-together gear. That poor guy wasn't wearing it.)

Nessie

Swampficious

Postby Swampficious » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:35 am

That is a seriously cool video! (No pun intended)
Looks like some bogs nearby I havent tried yet.
Hopefully without bodies in them...
Makes you wonder though, how THEY got there...

Bart, can you understand German?
If you dont mind me asking (your location says EU so I'm assuming you're on the continent), could you add some locations in your country (if you have any) to the QS map? Don't share any you dont want to, just, I think it would be cool to have as many on there as possible...

Return to “Nuggets”